Re: [S-R] Re: Kielbasa Recipe/declining is a no-no

  • Bernardine Weigand
    Message 1 of 48 , Mar 3 5:01 PM
      When I first met my husband, many moons ago, of course I brought him
      to my Baba's house on a Sunday for all to meet. Baba (we called her
      Boboo) always chicken soup with home made noodles and the usual home
      baked Slovak poppyseed loaves, etc.
      Well, my husband committed a "mortal sin". He said he wasn't hungry
      and declined food and drink! Boy, did I ever hear about that..like:
      "..what's wrong with him...That's because he's not Slovak..he must be
      "some kind English"how could you marry someone who doesn't eat..and on
      and on. Needless to say I had a"talk" with him and informed him that
      one never refuses food or drink, under any circumstances.

      Bernardine
      On Mar 3, 2011, at 4:56 PM, Elaine Summerhill wrote:

      > Exactly! Usually, the first thing mom would offer is some coffee or
      > tea. If
      > either were accepted, she broke out some kind of sweet bread, i.e.,
      > poppyseed
      > roll, nut roll, spice cake, etc. If not, they person usually got a
      > ham sandwich
      > or some sausage with horseradish and crackers. There's always
      > something. To not
      > offer is rude and to decline is worse!
      >
      > Elaine Summerhill

      > In Slovakia, the first thing that is offered to any visitor is a
      > drink.
      > If, one prefers not to drink as I do, then one must partake of the
      > food, even if they do not have anything prepared. There is always
      > something that they can prepare.
      >
      > Bill Brna

    • June McKee
      Message 48 of 48 , Mar 4 6:29 AM
        all right already! lets get back to what this site is for!