RE: [S-R] Goulick

  • Julie Mark
    Message 1 of 22 , Mar 3 3:33 PM
      I am almost certain that I have seen this name somewhere. My family settled
      in Jonhstown, PA, but had ties to family in Passaic. Where in PA do think
      she had a sister? I'll check my files and let you know what I find.

      Message 2 of 22 , Mar 3 3:37 PM
        Or they might not have changed the name at all. If they didn't speak the language when they came over, it was often difficult for the list makers--immigration, census, or otherwise--to understand what they were saying and they wrote what they thought they heard. Then the indexing methodology isn't always perfect either. Try searching with alternate spellings, perhaps ones that are phonetic in nature, or with wildcards replacing some of the letters. It took me quite a while to find the Ivanyo family I was looking for in the 1910, 1920, and 1930 census listings. I finally found them under Evana indexed as Evans, Iwanio, and Wanya. Fortunately, once found it was clearly them as dates, places, children's names, etc. all matched up.

        Apparently there are plenty of Goulicks still out there. A general surname search on Ancestry without a given name brought up quite a few potential matches. Of course we need more information....date of birth, spouse name, etc.--in order to find the right one. She would naturally be listed under her married name in the census records where she is married with children. You might try using the gold form on Stevemorse.org, or I would be glad to do a quick search of Ancestry for you if you can send me more specific information.

        Peg
      • cousinjanie1004
        Message 3 of 22 , Mar 4 9:29 AM
          There is a Deacon with the Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Church who lived and worked in NJ, until he & his family moved back to PA a few years ago. Perhaps he is a relative?

          See below for his contact info from the web-site for the Diocese.
          web-site: www.acrod.org

          Protodeacon Emil Gulick
          P.O. Box 456
          Port Matilda, PA 16870
          Tel: (814) 692-1070 | Fax: n/a
          e-mail: DEB.G@...

          ======================================

          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "ascerbak" <scerad@...> wrote:

          > Hi, I am looking for any information on the Goulick family. My grandmother's maiden name was Goulick. No one seems to know if she was born in the US or immigrated. Her first name was Anna. She lived in Passaic, NJ and Garfield, NJ as an adult. I know that she had at least one sister who lived in Pennsylvania.
          >
          > Thank you.

        • Gina
          Message 4 of 22 , Mar 4 11:42 AM
            Have you tried searching for 'Kulick?' I live in eastern PA and, although I
            have heard the name Gulick, there are many 'Kulicks' in this area. I learned
            that when immigrants entered their port of arrival, many Americans who were
            registering them spelled their names the way the name sounded like it would
            be spelled to them. It may be a long-shot, but I think it may be worth your
            time to check it out. It can get frustrating.....My paternal family name is
            found under 'Drosdak', 'Drozdak', 'Drozdiak', 'Drozdziak'! But even after
            learning this, I STILL haven't been able to find my grandfather Metro's
            (Dimitry) ship and arrival information. I won't even go into my
            grandmother's maiden name (Warholak) and all the different spelling
            variations I've found for her name!!

            Good luck,
            Gina

            --

            The Animal Rescue Site needs your help in feeding previously abused animals
            who are now living their lives in a protective sanctuary or are awaiting

            --
            I see a light at the end of the tunnel....It's a train! ;-O

            Message 5 of 22 , Mar 4 12:15 PM
              Gina

               If you know your grandfathers ancestral villiage/city you could use  the Steve morse site and do a general search for all the emmigrants. That way you'll cover all the spelling variations, or at least the ones used for emmigration. Of course it could have changed being processed through the port of immigration or even boarding the ship in Europe. At the least you might find some other spelling variations to research.

               Your Grammas' name is interesting. The name Warhola has been mentioned in old posts on this site. I'm sure you know Andy Warhol, the artist, is a Warhola. The prefix ak is a diminutive that would describe Warhol, and the "a"  could be a prefix denoting a female, as in the prefix sky;masculine and the ska; feminine. ..but a name ending in "l" I would think would have an "ova" to designate the feminine. This last paragraph is mosttly my own opininion based very loosely on what I know of prefixes and I only mention it to give you other possible spellings to research. Sometimes there seems to be no reasoning for spellings when we try to use our 20th century American way of thinking.

              Larry----- Original Message -----

              --

              The Animal Rescue Site needs your help in feeding previously abused animals
              who are now living their lives in a protective sanctuary or are awaiting
              adoption! Help feed tens of thousands of animals every day with a simple
              click--AT NO COST TO YOU (no catch)! Visit
              http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com today-PLEASE!

              --
              I see a light at the end of the tunnel....It's a train!  ;-O

            • Lubos Brieda
              Message 6 of 22 , Mar 4 12:22 PM
                Yup Larry, the female version of Warhola would be Warholakova. One note, the
                letter "w" is not found in Slovak alphabet, except for foreign words. On the
                other hand, given my limited knowledge of Polish, it seems that in Polish there
                in no "v", and there is only "w". This could be a recent change.
                -- Lubos Brieda --

                Slovak recipes: www.slovakcooking.com

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 22 , Mar 4 1:57 PM
                  Thank you Larry. I do know both of their ancestral villages. I have not
                  searched Steve Morse's site to try to locate their arrival, but I will now!
                  Hopefully I may finally have some luck. I have thought about the closeness
                  of my grandmother's maiden name and Andy Warhol(a)'s name. It would be
                  incredibly awesome to learn that he is a relative! But I'm sure the odds are
                  remote.

                  Thanks again,
                  Gina

                  Message 8 of 22 , Mar 4 2:00 PM
                    Lubos

                     Thank you.

                     There being no "W" in Slovak would account for the name Vlk. My understanding is it is derived from wolf. And isn't Valla and Vallachovic from the name of the sheep that I won't attempt to spell but starts with "W" and looks close to Vallachovic.

                      I love the challenging puzzle of name origins and meanings. It sometimes leads to an understanding of why most of us find so many variations in spellings of our surnames. It also, at times, seems to have no logic when we don't understand the dynamics of the times our ancestors were part of. What I mean by that is; sitting at a computor in the 21st century, trying to figure why our ancestors did certain things that seem odd to us, can be fruitless .

                    Thank you Lubos

                    Larry

                    Message 9 of 22 , Mar 4 2:25 PM
                      Larry and Lobos,

                      Now I understand why I have seen my grandmother's name spelled Varholak in
                      some cases and Warholak in others!

                      Thanks,
                      Gina

                      Message 10 of 22 , Mar 4 2:33 PM
                        Gina

                         Andy Warhol[a] has roots in the Pittsburgh area if that helps, and he speaks of his Slovak ancestry.
                        Larry----- Original Message -----

                        Message 11 of 22 , Mar 4 3:46 PM
                          Gina - your grandfather's surname was Metro??? You are the first and only
                          person I've found who is also searching this name. My great-grandfather was
                          Andrew Metro of Johnstown, PA. Where in PA do you live? Can you tell me
                          more about your Metro's? the best I can gather, mine was from Drienovska
                          Nova Ves. He came here in the very early 1900s.

                          Julie

                          --

                          The Animal Rescue Site needs your help in feeding previously abused animals
                          who are now living their lives in a protective sanctuary or are awaiting
                          adoption! Help feed tens of thousands of animals every day with a simple
                          click--AT NO COST TO YOU (no catch)! Visit
                          http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com today-PLEASE!

                          --
                          I see a light at the end of the tunnel....It's a train! ;-O

                        • John
                          Message 12 of 22 , Mar 4 4:21 PM
                            >>> I have thought about the closeness of my grandmother's maiden name and Andy Warhol(a)'s name. <<<

                            The ancestral village is Mikova, west of Medzilaborce. That's the connection you have to make. Surname means very little.
                          • Gina
                            Message 13 of 22 , Mar 5 5:16 AM
                              Julie,

                              I'm sorry--Drozdak was my grandfather's surname. Metro was his first name
                              (actually, Dimitry) and he came from Bogusza in 1895. I'm not very close to
                              Johnstown--I am in eastern PA. However, many Rusyns in eastern PA were
                              miners and traveled to different parts of PA for work. However, because I
                              have heard the surname 'Metro' in my area, I looked in my Carbon and
                              Schuylkill County phone books and found 3 listed. One is in the town of
                              Lansford and 2 in the town of Lehighton. If you'd like the first names and
                              phone numbers of these Metros, you can write to me personally. Sometimes a
                              phone call is worth it!
                              Good luck,
                              Gina

                              Message 14 of 22 , Mar 5 11:16 AM
                                Oh well, that tells me I'm obviously not related in any way to Andy
                                Warhol.....my grandmother Warholaks' family came from Polany, in SE Poland.

                                I don't know if there are any famous Sotaks (Szotak) who came from Zbudska
                                Bela or famous Chaly's or 'Chaly-Benyos' who came from Volica, which I
                                understand is not too far south from Medzilaborce?? That's where my maternal
                                grandparents came from.

                                I think I've been reading too many stories from Ancestry.com and watching
                                that TV show, 'Who Do You Think You Are?' that's making me wonder if I might
                                have famous ancestors!

                                Thank you,
                                Gina

                                Message 15 of 22 , Mar 5 12:56 PM
                                  Gina

                                   I saw Polany on the map and it's almost on the Slovakian border.

                                   I would think it's possible that there could be a connection to Andy Warhol...

                                   The area that is across the border in Slovakia also looks to be in the Presov region. The Presov region records are what's currently online at the LDS site...   so it might be worth checking that.

                                   I don't care for Andy Warhol's work but I do recognize him as being one of the great artists of our time.He used an assembly line method to mass produce his work, which is genius in itself.

                                   I think it would be great to have him in your tree.

                                   Don't give up yet.

                                  Larry----- Original Message -----
                                  Oh well, that tells me I'm obviously not related in any way to Andy
                                  Warhol.....my grandmother Warholaks' family came from Polany, in SE Poland.

                                  I don't know if there are any famous Sotaks (Szotak) who came from Zbudska
                                  Bela or famous Chaly's or 'Chaly-Benyos' who came from Volica, which I
                                  understand is not too far south from Medzilaborce?? That's where my maternal
                                  grandparents came from.

                                  I think I've been reading too many stories from Ancestry.com and watching
                                  that TV show, 'Who Do You Think You Are?' that's making me wonder if I might
                                  have famous ancestors!

                                  Thank you,
                                  Gina

                                  > Andy Warhol(a)'s name. <<<
                                  >
                                  > The ancestral village is Mikova, west of Medzilaborce. That's the
                                  > connection you have to make. Surname means very little.

                                  --

                                  The Animal Rescue Site needs your help in feeding previously abused animals
                                  who are now living their lives in a protective sanctuary or are awaiting
                                  adoption! Help feed tens of thousands of animals every day with a simple
                                  click--AT NO COST TO YOU (no catch)! Visit
                                  http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com today-PLEASE!

                                  --
                                  I see a light at the end of the tunnel....It's a train!  ;-O

                                • Frank R Plichta
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Mar 5 2:42 PM
                                    Gina,

                                    Every ancestor is famous. After all they caused you to be here today.
                                    Frank

                                    Message 17 of 22 , Mar 5 5:44 PM
                                      >>> Volica, which I understand is not too far south from Medzilaborce?? That's where my maternal grandparents came from. <<<

                                      Medzilaborce is the location of the Warhol Museum -- as well as Pit. http://www.andywarhol.sk/
                                    • laffingdukk
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Mar 6 4:03 PM
                                        I am almost positive i've seen that name in my research...I have a very good visual memory...just can't remember which resource I saw the name in. I am thinking there was an alternate spelling spelling like Gulic or Gulich even Kulic...hope this helps, and I will keep my eyes open should I come across the name again. I am thinking I saw it on a census form or ship manifest near one of my ancestors...the most common name being Bezilla or Bezila.

                                        this is pretty random info but you never know what will provide another lead. good luck
                                        dina