RE: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] Re: Passport and ship name

  • Gregory J. Kopchak
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 3, 2001
      Go to http://www.iarelative.com/history/bremen.htm
      for an 100 year old "Passage to America" ad and links
      to the Emigration Law of 1903 to see what
      your ancestors were up against.

      In 1903 it became illegal to display or discuss in
      public the ad shown on the page. Interesting piece of
      Immigration history.

      Greg Kopchak
      It's All Relative

      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 3, 2001
        There is a man in Great Britain who researches ships for about 10 pounds,
        about $14.00 US. He accepts credit cards. His email address is
        donald.hazeldine@.... You can email him and he will tell you if he
        has any info. You could also try the Cunard Line web site. I'm pretty sure
        they have one. I know the Noth German Lloyd Line does. There are some other
        internet sites but I'm afraid I don't remember the addresses. I also found a
        book of pictures of ships at my local library in the genealogy department.
        It has loads of pictures of old ships. I was able through the help of Don
        and the book to get info and a picture of the ship my grandfather had listed
        on his naturalization papers. You might check there if your Aunt was
        naturalized. Depending on the date it will list the exit and entry ports,
        place of birth, place of residence prior to immigration, a physical
        description of the person, occupation and more. Happy Hunting RuthAnn
      • Fillmanshome@aol.com
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 3, 2001
          GInger, This is RuthAnn again. I knew I had the ship name but I couldn't
          find it anywhere and i looked lots of places. Don't give up.
        • Frank Kurchina
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 4, 2001
            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@egroups.com, "Gregory J. Kopchak" <greg@i...>
            wrote:
            > Go to http://www.iarelative.com/history/bremen.htm
            > for an 100 year old "Passage to America" ad and links
            > to the Emigration Law of 1903 to see what
            > your ancestors were up against.
            >
            > In 1903 it became illegal to display or discuss in
            > public the ad shown on the page. Interesting piece of
            > Immigration history.
            >
            > Greg Kopchak
            > It's All Relative

            Your ad in article was from the Pecirkuv Narodni kalendar - 1900,
            published in Prague.
            It was featured on the back page of the almanac and calendar.
            F. Missler of Bremen made an offer of passage to America, Africa, and
            Australia from the Port of Bremen, Germany.
            The ad, in Czech, was targeted for the Czech and Slovak people.

            Your Slovakia site offers the Hungarian Emigration Law 1903 in
            detail at URL.

            http://www.iarelative.com/hung1903/index.html

            However, none of this was applicable in 1929 when this subcriber's
            relative emigrated.
            The new country of Czechoslovakia was created in 1920.
            There was no longer a Upper-Hungary, nor an Austro-Hungarian
            Monarchy (1867-1918)
          • Barbara Keryan
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 4, 2001
              Greg

              Thanks for that little bit of history. I am sure that many of our
              ancestors used Missler, I know that one of mine did.

              Barb

            • Gregory J. Kopchak
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 4, 2001
                It was in the period of 1890 to 1910 most immigration
                to America took place.

                Your family was very late in the immigration curve.

                I have the 1929 almanac and will have to take a look
                at what was offered to late arrivers.

                Greg Kopchak

                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 5, 2001
                  wrote:
                  > It was in the period of 1890 to 1910 most immigration
                  > to America took place.
                  >
                  > Your family was very late in the immigration curve.
                  >
                  > I have the 1929 almanac and will have to take a look
                  > at what was offered to late arrivers.
                  >
                  > Greg Kopchak

                  Don't know if above is a reference to my surname, or to that of
                  subscriber who posted this query ?

                  My first parental surname and male maternal surname bearer
                  arrived in US (together) in 1896 via Antwerp, Belgium and both
                  returned to Upper-Hungary (then Slovakia) by 1900.

                  My own parental GPs arrive in 1900.
                  Many parental surname bearers came later to US and but most returned
                  to Upper-Hungary, except those that emigrated to Canada.

                  Frank Kurcina