Re: Passport and ship name

  • Frank Kurchina
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 3, 2001
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@egroups.com, gkopka1@a... wrote:
      > I could not find it listed on any lists on the internet, either. So
      I do not
      > know what to think. Is this not the ship's name?
      > Ginger

      No.
      Praha (Czech) = Prag (German) or Prague, the name of the Czech
      capital city.

      The cloth appears to be an advertisement, with the Cunard Line's
      Praha (Prague, Czechoslovakia) ship office , street address and
      telephone no.
      Ship lines gave away items like that to potential customers.
      Or perhaps they sold them as souvenirs to the emigrants ?
      The ship manifest for U.S. port of entry would list name of the ship
      at top of volume page.

      Passport

      Stamped

      Vystahovalecky'
      Emigrant

      Cestovny' Pas
      Passport

      (cestovat' means to travel)

      C^islo cestovného pasu
      Passport number

      Méno majital'a
      Bearer's name

      Helena Karas(ová)

      Prislus^nost
      Nationality

      Czechoslovakia

      Domovská

      D^apalovce
      (located north of Holc^íkovce and 220 miles ENE of Bratislava)

      okres (district) Stropkov

      Osobny' popis
      Personal description

      Zamestnanie
      Occupation

      housewife

      Rodisko a dátum narodenia
      Birthplace and date of birth

      D^apalovce

      Bydlisko
      Residence

      Oblic^aj

      Barva oc^í
      eye color : gray
      Barva vlasov
      hair color : brown

      Odjezd

      Departure

      Návrat

      Return
    • Gregory J. Kopchak
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 3, 2001
        Go to http://www.iarelative.com/history/bremen.htm
        for an 100 year old "Passage to America" ad and links
        to the Emigration Law of 1903 to see what
        your ancestors were up against.

        In 1903 it became illegal to display or discuss in
        public the ad shown on the page. Interesting piece of
        Immigration history.

        Greg Kopchak
        It's All Relative

      • Fillmanshome@aol.com
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 3, 2001
          There is a man in Great Britain who researches ships for about 10 pounds,
          about $14.00 US. He accepts credit cards. His email address is
          donald.hazeldine@.... You can email him and he will tell you if he
          has any info. You could also try the Cunard Line web site. I'm pretty sure
          they have one. I know the Noth German Lloyd Line does. There are some other
          internet sites but I'm afraid I don't remember the addresses. I also found a
          book of pictures of ships at my local library in the genealogy department.
          It has loads of pictures of old ships. I was able through the help of Don
          and the book to get info and a picture of the ship my grandfather had listed
          on his naturalization papers. You might check there if your Aunt was
          naturalized. Depending on the date it will list the exit and entry ports,
          place of birth, place of residence prior to immigration, a physical
          description of the person, occupation and more. Happy Hunting RuthAnn
        • Fillmanshome@aol.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 3, 2001
            GInger, This is RuthAnn again. I knew I had the ship name but I couldn't
            find it anywhere and i looked lots of places. Don't give up.
          • Frank Kurchina
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 4, 2001
              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@egroups.com, "Gregory J. Kopchak" <greg@i...>
              wrote:
              > Go to http://www.iarelative.com/history/bremen.htm
              > for an 100 year old "Passage to America" ad and links
              > to the Emigration Law of 1903 to see what
              > your ancestors were up against.
              >
              > In 1903 it became illegal to display or discuss in
              > public the ad shown on the page. Interesting piece of
              > Immigration history.
              >
              > Greg Kopchak
              > It's All Relative

              Your ad in article was from the Pecirkuv Narodni kalendar - 1900,
              published in Prague.
              It was featured on the back page of the almanac and calendar.
              F. Missler of Bremen made an offer of passage to America, Africa, and
              Australia from the Port of Bremen, Germany.
              The ad, in Czech, was targeted for the Czech and Slovak people.

              Your Slovakia site offers the Hungarian Emigration Law 1903 in
              detail at URL.

              http://www.iarelative.com/hung1903/index.html

              However, none of this was applicable in 1929 when this subcriber's
              relative emigrated.
              The new country of Czechoslovakia was created in 1920.
              There was no longer a Upper-Hungary, nor an Austro-Hungarian
              Monarchy (1867-1918)
            • Barbara Keryan
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 4, 2001
                Greg

                Thanks for that little bit of history. I am sure that many of our
                ancestors used Missler, I know that one of mine did.

                Barb

              • Gregory J. Kopchak
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 4, 2001
                  It was in the period of 1890 to 1910 most immigration
                  to America took place.

                  Your family was very late in the immigration curve.

                  I have the 1929 almanac and will have to take a look
                  at what was offered to late arrivers.

                  Greg Kopchak

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 5, 2001
                    wrote:
                    > It was in the period of 1890 to 1910 most immigration
                    > to America took place.
                    >
                    > Your family was very late in the immigration curve.
                    >
                    > I have the 1929 almanac and will have to take a look
                    > at what was offered to late arrivers.
                    >
                    > Greg Kopchak

                    Don't know if above is a reference to my surname, or to that of
                    subscriber who posted this query ?

                    My first parental surname and male maternal surname bearer
                    arrived in US (together) in 1896 via Antwerp, Belgium and both
                    returned to Upper-Hungary (then Slovakia) by 1900.

                    My own parental GPs arrive in 1900.
                    Many parental surname bearers came later to US and but most returned
                    to Upper-Hungary, except those that emigrated to Canada.

                    Frank Kurcina