Passport and ship name

  • Ginger
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 2, 2001
      Gee, no one has looked at the new pages to the passport. Now I have
      a new question. Has anyone heard of a ship called Praha II. It is
      supposed to be a Cunard Line ship. My relatives have a cloth from
      the ship that my aunt must have kept as a souvenier from the ship. I
      have added this picture, also, to my file on the Slovak-Roots page.
      Ginger
    • Ron Matviyak
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 3, 2001
        Pass on the URL again, please. Some of us delete files as soon as we 'use'
        or answer them. I no longer have the url and am curious.

      • krejc@aol.com
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 3, 2001
          Praha II is not listed in the book "passenger ships of the world"
        • gkopka1@aol.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 3, 2001
            I could not find it listed on any lists on the internet, either. So I do not
            know what to think. Is this not the ship's name?
            Ginger

          • Frank Kurchina
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 3, 2001
              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@egroups.com, gkopka1@a... wrote:
              > I could not find it listed on any lists on the internet, either. So
              I do not
              > know what to think. Is this not the ship's name?
              > Ginger

              No.
              Praha (Czech) = Prag (German) or Prague, the name of the Czech
              capital city.

              The cloth appears to be an advertisement, with the Cunard Line's
              Praha (Prague, Czechoslovakia) ship office , street address and
              telephone no.
              Ship lines gave away items like that to potential customers.
              Or perhaps they sold them as souvenirs to the emigrants ?
              The ship manifest for U.S. port of entry would list name of the ship
              at top of volume page.

              Passport

              Stamped

              Vystahovalecky'
              Emigrant

              Cestovny' Pas
              Passport

              (cestovat' means to travel)

              C^islo cestovného pasu
              Passport number

              Méno majital'a
              Bearer's name

              Helena Karas(ová)

              Prislus^nost
              Nationality

              Czechoslovakia

              Domovská

              D^apalovce
              (located north of Holc^íkovce and 220 miles ENE of Bratislava)

              okres (district) Stropkov

              Osobny' popis
              Personal description

              Zamestnanie
              Occupation

              housewife

              Rodisko a dátum narodenia
              Birthplace and date of birth

              D^apalovce

              Bydlisko
              Residence

              Oblic^aj

              Barva oc^í
              eye color : gray
              Barva vlasov
              hair color : brown

              Odjezd

              Departure

              Návrat

              Return
            • Gregory J. Kopchak
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 3, 2001
                Go to http://www.iarelative.com/history/bremen.htm
                for an 100 year old "Passage to America" ad and links
                to the Emigration Law of 1903 to see what
                your ancestors were up against.

                In 1903 it became illegal to display or discuss in
                public the ad shown on the page. Interesting piece of
                Immigration history.

                Greg Kopchak
                It's All Relative

              • Fillmanshome@aol.com
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 3, 2001
                  There is a man in Great Britain who researches ships for about 10 pounds,
                  about $14.00 US. He accepts credit cards. His email address is
                  donald.hazeldine@.... You can email him and he will tell you if he
                  has any info. You could also try the Cunard Line web site. I'm pretty sure
                  they have one. I know the Noth German Lloyd Line does. There are some other
                  internet sites but I'm afraid I don't remember the addresses. I also found a
                  book of pictures of ships at my local library in the genealogy department.
                  It has loads of pictures of old ships. I was able through the help of Don
                  and the book to get info and a picture of the ship my grandfather had listed
                  on his naturalization papers. You might check there if your Aunt was
                  naturalized. Depending on the date it will list the exit and entry ports,
                  place of birth, place of residence prior to immigration, a physical
                  description of the person, occupation and more. Happy Hunting RuthAnn
                • Fillmanshome@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 3, 2001
                    GInger, This is RuthAnn again. I knew I had the ship name but I couldn't
                    find it anywhere and i looked lots of places. Don't give up.
                  • Frank Kurchina
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 4, 2001
                      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@egroups.com, "Gregory J. Kopchak" <greg@i...>
                      wrote:
                      > Go to http://www.iarelative.com/history/bremen.htm
                      > for an 100 year old "Passage to America" ad and links
                      > to the Emigration Law of 1903 to see what
                      > your ancestors were up against.
                      >
                      > In 1903 it became illegal to display or discuss in
                      > public the ad shown on the page. Interesting piece of
                      > Immigration history.
                      >
                      > Greg Kopchak
                      > It's All Relative

                      Your ad in article was from the Pecirkuv Narodni kalendar - 1900,
                      published in Prague.
                      It was featured on the back page of the almanac and calendar.
                      F. Missler of Bremen made an offer of passage to America, Africa, and
                      Australia from the Port of Bremen, Germany.
                      The ad, in Czech, was targeted for the Czech and Slovak people.

                      Your Slovakia site offers the Hungarian Emigration Law 1903 in
                      detail at URL.

                      http://www.iarelative.com/hung1903/index.html

                      However, none of this was applicable in 1929 when this subcriber's
                      relative emigrated.
                      The new country of Czechoslovakia was created in 1920.
                      There was no longer a Upper-Hungary, nor an Austro-Hungarian
                      Monarchy (1867-1918)
                    • Barbara Keryan
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jan 4, 2001
                        Greg

                        Thanks for that little bit of history. I am sure that many of our
                        ancestors used Missler, I know that one of mine did.

                        Barb

                      • Gregory J. Kopchak
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jan 4, 2001
                          It was in the period of 1890 to 1910 most immigration
                          to America took place.

                          Your family was very late in the immigration curve.

                          I have the 1929 almanac and will have to take a look
                          at what was offered to late arrivers.

                          Greg Kopchak

                          Message 12 of 12 , Jan 5, 2001
                            wrote:
                            > It was in the period of 1890 to 1910 most immigration
                            > to America took place.
                            >
                            > Your family was very late in the immigration curve.
                            >
                            > I have the 1929 almanac and will have to take a look
                            > at what was offered to late arrivers.
                            >
                            > Greg Kopchak

                            Don't know if above is a reference to my surname, or to that of
                            subscriber who posted this query ?

                            My first parental surname and male maternal surname bearer
                            arrived in US (together) in 1896 via Antwerp, Belgium and both
                            returned to Upper-Hungary (then Slovakia) by 1900.

                            My own parental GPs arrive in 1900.
                            Many parental surname bearers came later to US and but most returned
                            to Upper-Hungary, except those that emigrated to Canada.

                            Frank Kurcina