Re: Records in Slovakia

  • Carl
    Message 1 of 23 , Feb 17, 2011
      Hi Linda,
      Hard to tell if he was on furlough or was about to be transferred into the reserves. In the 1850s, men had an active duty obligation of about 8 years followed by several years in the reserves. Men usually only spent 1-3 years on active duty and then were furloughed to their homes for the remainder of their active duty obligation (unless there was a war going on). Given that Janos was born in 1833, he would have been conscripted around 1853. So in 1860, he would have been close to being moved into the reserves depending on when he actually began his service. I think it is likely he would have served in the war in Italy in 1859 and then released in 1860. If you search for his records, look for the film that shows men with birth years around 1833. You should be able to find it in films covering the mid 1850s. Unfortunately, the FHC has not done a good job of indexing the films. So, you may have to check a couple films in that time frame to find the one listing 1833 births. Grundbuchs vary a bit in how they are organized. Each battalion in the regiment is listed separately and then broken down further by companies (6 companies in each of 4 battalions). Usually, (but not always) the officers are listed first for each unit, then cadets and finally the enlisted men. The enlisted men will have common birth years but of course the officers will not. When you find Janos' record, go back and record the information on the officers for his battalion and for his company. Note that the battalions may not be listed by a number but by a title. I know this may sound complicated but it really isn't.
      Regimental histories describe the events each field battalion participated in. Field battalions sometimes operated separately and at other times they fought together. There were 3 field battalions and 1 smaller home depot battalion in each regiment. Well, that's probably more than you wanted to know at this point. Contact me if you decide to pursue this search and if you do find Janos' record. I can then point you to the other available information.