HAMORSKI, DISKANT & PLICHTA from Kassabela today Kosicka Bela

  • frank.r.plichta@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 6, 2011
      I would like to know if anyone knows the HAMORSKI and DISKANT surnames from
      Kosicka Bela who immigrated to Lykens, PA and/or Dunellen, NJ in 1899?

      The following questions:

      1. Is DISKAN the same as DISKANT? I have DISKAN relatives who married
      PLICHTOVA in 1983 and would like to know if there are earlier marriages
      between these two surnames in +/-1899?

      2. Does anyone researching the HAMORSKI surname also have PLICHTA in the
      family? I don’t show these two surnames together.

      Background:

      Gyorgy Plichta b. March 24, 1882 who at the age of 16 [sic] is found on the
      passenger list of the ship Prinz Regent Luitpold which departed Bremen,
      Germany on March 29, 1899 and arrived at the port of New York on June 7,
      1899. Gyorgy is listed as a laborer of Hungarian nationality whose last
      residence was Kassa Belá. His destination in the United States was Lykens,
      PA where he was going to join his uncle. He had $12 cash. He was white,
      born in Hungary, his mother tongue was Slovak, and he was subject to Hungary
      and his religion was Roman Catholic.

      There were three other surnames on the manifest from Kassa Belá who were
      joining families in the United States. Kata Hamorski, age 35, wife and her
      two children, Maria Hamorski age 14 and Josef Hamorski age 11 where also
      going to Lykens, PA to join her brother-in-law. Andras Fabisik, age 38,
      male laborer was going to Dunillen [sic] (should be spelled Dunellen), NJ to
      join his brother-in-law. Maria Diskant age 27 with her two children Janos
      Diskant age 4 and Andreas Diskant age 2 were also going to Donillan [sic]
      (should be spelled Dunellen), NJ to join her husband and the children’s
      father.

      Frank R. Plichta

      “Searching the World for PLICHTAs”

      Galax, VA

    • sabolj@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 6, 2011
        Frank

        I don't know of any Diskants in Lykens, but there were Diskants in Monessen PA. There were Plichciks in Lykens, and the Plichciks and Plichtas had intermarried a few times in Kosicka Bela. I have never seen Diskant represented as Diskan. I believe the Diskant surname is of Germanic origin.

        I show two Gyorgy Plichtas in my records, one born in 1900 and the other born in 1909 to Janos Plichta and Maria Plichczik. It's possible the first Gyorgy died, although I have not found his death record. Anyway, their uncle, Gyorgy Plichcik, lived in Lykens PA before eventually moving to the state of California.

        John Sabol

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 6, 2011
          John,

          Thanks for the info.

          My Diskan is Slovak living today in Kosicka Bela who married a Plichtova in
          1983.

          I also have a George Plichta b. Jan 1900 to a John Plichta b. May 1874 in
          Slovenia and Mary Plichta (married name, maiden name unknown) b. Jun 1876
          married about 1896 in Slovenia. They are shown in the 1900 Census in
          Manhattan, NY. John and Mary immigrated in 1900 and the George was born in
          Manhattan.

          That same John Plichta also had a sister Mary Plichta b. May 1877 in
          Slovenia, Immigrated in 1898 also in the same 1900 Censes in Manhattan.
          This Mary was married about 1896 in Slovenia to an Andrew Lorenzo b. Jan
          1874 in Slovenia also in the same 1900 Census in Manhattan.

          While I have seen the surnames Plichczik and Plichcik I have never been able
          to connect them to my Plichta lines.

          Frank

          _____