RE: [S-R] Kaiser Wilhelm

  • Frank R Plichta
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 4, 2011
      Tom,

      The best place to find the answer to your question is at the Mariners Museum
      in Newport News, Virginia. Here is their web site link:
      http://www.marinersmuseum.org <http://www.marinersmuseum.org/>

      I don't know if they will answer your question by email or online but I do
      know that their library is extensive. When I found that there were 5 ships
      called the Baltic which my father came over on in 1920, they had photos of
      each of the 5 ships. We needed to the know the proper time frame to
      determine which ship's photo was the one I was looking for.

      Good Luck.

      Frank

      _____

      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 4, 2011
        Hi Tom:

        Try this website.

        http://www.theshipslist.com/ships/descriptions/ShipsK.html

        There are two Kaiser Wilhelm ships listed that might be of interest to you. Scroll down to the 5th and 6th ship on the list to read the descriptions. Hope this helps.

        Peggy

        Feb 3, 2011 10:50:14 PM, SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com wrote:

        OK so ships names get reused? Sounds like reincarnation to me.
        I'm not too good at ship manifests. Does anyone have any idea if there was indeed a Kaiser Wilhelm sailing in 1889 when my grandma came over.?
        Tom

      • helene cincebeaux
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 4, 2011
          Hi - need some detective work

          place is Arok????

          surnames are
          Sirko, Pochatko (Pochatka), Faitak (Faytak)

          any suggestions?

          helene

        • John
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 4, 2011
            >>> Hi - need some detective work
            place is Arok????
            surnames are Sirko, Pochatko (Pochatka), Faitak (Faytak)<<<

            Arok, Ung Megye, now known as Jarok, 11 km east of Uzhorod, Ukraine.
          • Tom Potsko
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 4, 2011
              What is the Slovakian village name replacing Povfalva, Hungary? Tom

              Sorry to interrupt this thread. Near Komlos-Kerezstes(Chmelov)

              On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 10:38 AM, Frank R Plichta <
              frank.r.plichta@...> wrote:

              > Tom,
              >
              > The best place to find the answer to your question is at the Mariners
              > Museum
              > in Newport News, Virginia. Here is their web site link:
              > http://www.marinersmuseum.org <http://www.marinersmuseum.org/>
              >

              > I don't know if they will answer your question by email or online but I do
              > know that their library is extensive. When I found that there were 5 ships
              > called the Baltic which my father came over on in 1920, they had photos of
              > each of the 5 ships. We needed to the know the proper time frame to
              > determine which ship's photo was the one I was looking for.
              >

              > Good Luck.
              >
              > Frank
              >

              > _____

            • Julie Michutka
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 4, 2011
                Could it be Pus~ovce, about 3.5 km NW of Chmelov? Its name in 1808 and
                again 1907-1913 was Posfalva.

                Julie Michutka
                jmm@...

                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 4, 2011
                  Thanks Julie, Tom

                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 5, 2011
                    Thanks so much John for finding this elusive place!!!

                    helene