Re: [S-R] Josef in Eastern Slovakia

  • nilo3rak
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 3, 2011
      My family is full of Joszef's in old Zemplin county from south of Svidnik to Turany.
      Then in another part of the family the name is found from the headwaters of the Tarcza River (Saros county) all the way back to the Orava River in Zemplin. It is as common as John.
      Carolyn

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Elaine <epowell@...> wrote:

      > Bill, can you give some background on your comment about the name Josef not being indigenous to eastern Slovakia? Did you mean that particular spelling? I have found several Josephs in my Kolarcik line in Pol'anovce and Rozkovany going back to the early 1800s, and I have seen it in other families too. (Granted, it was not as common as Matthew, Michael or John!) Spelling in the revords I've seen varies depending on Latin vs Hungarian.
      >
      > Elaine
      >
      > Sent from my iPhone
      >
      > On Feb 3, 2011, at 12:56 PM, "Bill Tarkulich" <bill.tarkulich@...> wrote:
      >
      > > As you may know, the former provinces of Bohemia and Moravia are now a
      > > part of the Czech Republic.
      > >
      > > I see you write the village as Zborov and also as Zboro. There is a
      > > Zborov in present-day eastern Slovakia, but that is a long way from the
      > > Czech Republic. As a general rule in pre-1918 europe, Bohemia and Moravia
      > > were provinces in the Austrian Empire. The lands of present-day Slovakia
      > > were a part of the Kingdom of Hungary.
      > >
      > > Forget about Austria-Hungary for your search - this was a political
      > > partnership for external diplomatic, immigration and army purposes. Both
      > > Austria and Hungary maintained individual internal records and managed
      > > internal affairs separately. When someone states A-H, the first order of
      > > business is to determine the correct county. You are on the right path.
      > >
      > > What was his religion and declared ethnicity? You may be dealing with two
      > > different people. Are the people listed back home, or the destination the
      > > same? I cannot tell from the dates you provided how big the age
      > > discrepancy was. You have a lot more info to share with us before we can
      > > make progress. It's at your fingertips presuming the date of immigration
      > > was after 1904, when the immigration data collection requirements were
      > > broadened.
      > >
      > > Josef is not a name indigenous to eastern Slovakia. I am not very
      > > familiar with czech republic, however most of the village names in CR did
      > > not change as dramatically as they did in Slovakia.
      > >
      > > Good luck,
      > > Bill Tarkulich
      > > On Thu, February 3, 2011 1:35 pm, CherylM wrote:
      > > > I was never interested in geography/history in school and am paying for it
      > > > now. I have been searching for my great-grandparents immigration records
      > > > and believe I might have found them. After many years, I put in the right
      > > > combination surname spelling and came up with a close winner. Josef, Anna
      > > > & son Josef Vojtech on the Kaiser Wilhem II arriving June 1, 1891. I say
      > > > might because the few records I have for their son Josef states he was
      > > > born in Oct 1891 and on this immigration record states he was 11 months
      > > > when they arrived. Also the record states they came from Bohemia. This
      > > > is the first time I've seen this place mentioned, all other records say
      > > > Slovakia, Hungary. Josef (the son) his 1917 draft record, the only record
> [...]
    • Frank R Plichta
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 3, 2011
        Tom,

        You assessment of the ship's name may be correct, however, you should also
        know that ship names are reused.

        You can check with the Mariners Museum in Newport News, Virginia who has an
        extensive maritime library. For example when I checked on the ship that my
        father came to America on in 1920 I found that there were 4 other ships with
        the same name. Ship names get recycled. I do not know if that is true
        about the Kaiser Wilhelm but it is a possibility to be considered.

        Frank

        _____

        First, Bohemia is in the Czech Republic.
        Second, I don't see how he could have come on the Kaiser Wilhelm 2 in 1891,
        since it wasn't built until 1901
        My cousin tried to tell me that my grandmother came on ythe Kaiser Wilhelm,
        but she came over in 1889.
        Tom