Re: [S-R] Josef in Eastern Slovakia

    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 3, 2011
      The Zborov area was dominate by Rusyns, which used their own, non-codifed
      language, which was not Slovak.

      Bill
    • nilo3rak
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 3, 2011
        My family is full of Joszef's in old Zemplin county from south of Svidnik to Turany.
        Then in another part of the family the name is found from the headwaters of the Tarcza River (Saros county) all the way back to the Orava River in Zemplin. It is as common as John.
        Carolyn

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Elaine <epowell@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > > > I was never interested in geography/history in school and am paying for it
        > > > now. I have been searching for my great-grandparents immigration records
        > > > and believe I might have found them. After many years, I put in the right
        > > > combination surname spelling and came up with a close winner. Josef, Anna
        > > > & son Josef Vojtech on the Kaiser Wilhem II arriving June 1, 1891. I say
        > > > might because the few records I have for their son Josef states he was
        > > > born in Oct 1891 and on this immigration record states he was 11 months
        > > > when they arrived. Also the record states they came from Bohemia. This
        > > > is the first time I've seen this place mentioned, all other records say
        > > > Slovakia, Hungary. Josef (the son) his 1917 draft record, the only record
        > > > I have to give a specific village states he was born in Zboro, Austria
        > > > Hungary. Was Hungary also known as Bohemia? Could this be their record I

      • Frank R Plichta
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 3, 2011
          Tom,

          You assessment of the ship's name may be correct, however, you should also
          know that ship names are reused.

          You can check with the Mariners Museum in Newport News, Virginia who has an
          extensive maritime library. For example when I checked on the ship that my
          father came to America on in 1920 I found that there were 4 other ships with
          the same name. Ship names get recycled. I do not know if that is true
          about the Kaiser Wilhelm but it is a possibility to be considered.

          Frank

          _____

          First, Bohemia is in the Czech Republic.
          Second, I don't see how he could have come on the Kaiser Wilhelm 2 in 1891,
          since it wasn't built until 1901
          My cousin tried to tell me that my grandmother came on ythe Kaiser Wilhelm,
          but she came over in 1889.
          Tom