Re: [S-R] Is Zborov in Bohemia?

  • tom geiss
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 3, 2011
      First, Bohemia is in the Czech Republic.
      Second, I don't see how he could have come on the Kaiser Wilhelm 2 in 1891, since it wasn't built until 1901
      My cousin tried to tell me that my grandmother came on ythe Kaiser Wilhelm, but she came over in 1889.
      Tom
      I was never interested in geography/history in school and am paying for it now. I have been searching for my great-grandparents immigration records and believe I might have found them. After many years, I put in the right combination surname spelling and came up with a close winner. Josef, Anna & son Josef Vojtech on the Kaiser Wilhem II arriving June 1, 1891. I say might because the few records I have for their son Josef states he was born in Oct 1891 and on this immigration record states he was 11 months when they arrived. Also the record states they came from Bohemia. This is the first time I've seen this place mentioned, all other records say Slovakia, Hungary. Josef (the son) his 1917 draft record, the only record I have to give a specific village states he was born in Zboro, Austria Hungary. Was Hungary also known as Bohemia? Could this be their record I have been search for for so long?

    • Bernardine Weigand
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 3, 2011
        My g.mother came on the Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse in 1914.
        Bernardine
        On Feb 3, 2011, at 2:12 PM, tom geiss wrote:

        > First, Bohemia is in the Czech Republic.
        > Second, I don't see how he could have come on the Kaiser Wilhelm 2
        > in 1891, since it wasn't built until 1901
        > My cousin tried to tell me that my grandmother came on ythe Kaiser
        > Wilhelm, but she came over in 1889.
        > Tom

      • Cheryl Moser
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 3, 2011
          Bill,

          I copied the info below from the search result.

          Josef Vojtech Arrival Date: 1 Jun 1891 Birth Year: abt 1865 Age: 26 Gender: Male Ethnicity/Race-
          /Nationality: Bohemian Place of Origin: Bohemia, Czechoslovakia Port of Departure: Bremen, Germany and Southampton, England Destination: United States of America Port of Arrival: New York Port Arrival State: New York Port Arrival Country: United States Ship Name: Kaiser Wilhelm II.

          Anna Vojtech Arrival Date: 1 Jun 1891 Birth Year: abt 1867 Age: 24 Gender: Female Ethnicity/Race-
          /Nationality: Bohemian Place of Origin: Bohemia, Czechoslovakia Port of Departure: Bremen, Germany and Southampton, England Destination: United States of America Port of Arrival: New York Port Arrival State: New York Port Arrival Country: United States Ship Name: Kaiser Wilhelm II

          Josef, my great grandfather, I have found nothing on him, no date of death, no obit, zilch.

          Anna, my ggm, I have year of births from census ranging from 1868, 1866, 1857, 1866 (from cenus 1900, 1910, 1920 & 1930). Her death certificate lists DOB as December 1868.

          I will stick to Zboro (since that is what is on the draft card.

          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 3, 2011
            I am going by the information found through the Steve Morse site. The
            source citation is : Year: 1891; Arrival: New York , United States;
            Microfilm Serial: M237; Microfilm Roll: M237_569; Line: 46; List Number:
            757; and this is the info displayed copied right from the web page; Matches
            1-2 of 2 Sorted By Relevance

            View Record Name Arrival Date Birth Year Port of Departure Ethnicity/
            Nationality Ship Name View Ship Image
            View Record
            Josef Vojtech 1 Jun 1891 abt 1865 Bremen, Germany and Southampton,
            England Bohemian Kaiser Wilhelm II
            View Record
            Josef Vojtech 1 Jun 1891 abt 1890 Bremen, Germany and Southampton,
            England Bohemian Kaiser Wilhelm II

            Cheryl

            > My g.mother came on the Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse in 1914.
            > Bernardine
            > On Feb 3, 2011, at 2:12 PM, tom geiss wrote:
            >
            >> First, Bohemia is in the Czech Republic.
            >> Second, I don't see how he could have come on the Kaiser Wilhelm 2
            >> in 1891, since it wasn't built until 1901
            >> My cousin tried to tell me that my grandmother came on ythe Kaiser
            >> Wilhelm, but she came over in 1889.
            >> Tom

          • Elaine
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 3, 2011
              Bill, can you give some background on your comment about the name Josef not being indigenous to eastern Slovakia? Did you mean that particular spelling? I have found several Josephs in my Kolarcik line in Pol'anovce and Rozkovany going back to the early 1800s, and I have seen it in other families too. (Granted, it was not as common as Matthew, Michael or John!) Spelling in the revords I've seen varies depending on Latin vs Hungarian.

              Elaine

              Sent from my iPhone

              On Feb 3, 2011, at 12:56 PM, "Bill Tarkulich" <bill.tarkulich@...> wrote:

              > As you may know, the former provinces of Bohemia and Moravia are now a
              > part of the Czech Republic.
              >
              > I see you write the village as Zborov and also as Zboro. There is a
              > Zborov in present-day eastern Slovakia, but that is a long way from the
              > Czech Republic. As a general rule in pre-1918 europe, Bohemia and Moravia
              > were provinces in the Austrian Empire. The lands of present-day Slovakia
              > were a part of the Kingdom of Hungary.
              >
              > Forget about Austria-Hungary for your search - this was a political
              > partnership for external diplomatic, immigration and army purposes. Both
              > Austria and Hungary maintained individual internal records and managed
              > internal affairs separately. When someone states A-H, the first order of
              > business is to determine the correct county. You are on the right path.
              >
              > What was his religion and declared ethnicity? You may be dealing with two
              > different people. Are the people listed back home, or the destination the
              > same? I cannot tell from the dates you provided how big the age
              > discrepancy was. You have a lot more info to share with us before we can
              > make progress. It's at your fingertips presuming the date of immigration
              > was after 1904, when the immigration data collection requirements were
              > broadened.
              >
              > Josef is not a name indigenous to eastern Slovakia. I am not very
              > familiar with czech republic, however most of the village names in CR did
              > not change as dramatically as they did in Slovakia.
              >
              > Good luck,
              > Bill Tarkulich
              > On Thu, February 3, 2011 1:35 pm, CherylM wrote:
              > > I was never interested in geography/history in school and am paying for it
              > > now. I have been searching for my great-grandparents immigration records
              > > and believe I might have found them. After many years, I put in the right
              > > combination surname spelling and came up with a close winner. Josef, Anna
              > > & son Josef Vojtech on the Kaiser Wilhem II arriving June 1, 1891. I say
              > > might because the few records I have for their son Josef states he was
              > > born in Oct 1891 and on this immigration record states he was 11 months
              > > when they arrived. Also the record states they came from Bohemia. This
              > > is the first time I've seen this place mentioned, all other records say
              > > Slovakia, Hungary. Josef (the son) his 1917 draft record, the only record
              > > I have to give a specific village states he was born in Zboro, Austria
              > > Hungary. Was Hungary also known as Bohemia? Could this be their record I
              > > have been search for for so long?

              > --
              > Bill

            • Lubos Brieda
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 3, 2011
                Hi Elaine, I don't know much about the particular variations between eastern vs.
                western Slovakia, but.. Josef is Czech (or Bohemian) for Joseph. The Slovak
                version is Jozef (with a z instead of s).

                -- Lubos Brieda --

                www.slovakcooking.com

                ________________________________
> [...]

                > > I was never interested in geography/history in school and am paying for it
                > > now. I have been searching for my great-grandparents immigration records
                > > and believe I might have found them. After many years, I put in the right
                > > combination surname spelling and came up with a close winner. Josef, Anna
                > > & son Josef Vojtech on the Kaiser Wilhem II arriving June 1, 1891. I say
                > > might because the few records I have for their son Josef states he was
                > > born in Oct 1891 and on this immigration record states he was 11 months
                > > when they arrived. Also the record states they came from Bohemia. This
                > > is the first time I've seen this place mentioned, all other records say
                > > Slovakia, Hungary. Josef (the son) his 1917 draft record, the only record
                > > I have to give a specific village states he was born in Zboro, Austria
                > > Hungary. Was Hungary also known as Bohemia? Could this be their record I

              • Elaine
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 3, 2011
                  Thanks, Lubos, I didn't know whether Bill was referring to spelling or something else.

                  Elaine

                  Sent from my iPhone

                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 3, 2011
                    The Zborov area was dominate by Rusyns, which used their own, non-codifed
                    language, which was not Slovak.

                    Bill
                  • nilo3rak
                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 3, 2011
                      My family is full of Joszef's in old Zemplin county from south of Svidnik to Turany.
                      Then in another part of the family the name is found from the headwaters of the Tarcza River (Saros county) all the way back to the Orava River in Zemplin. It is as common as John.
                      Carolyn

                      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Elaine <epowell@...> wrote:

> [...]
                      > > > I was never interested in geography/history in school and am paying for it
                      > > > now. I have been searching for my great-grandparents immigration records
                      > > > and believe I might have found them. After many years, I put in the right
                      > > > combination surname spelling and came up with a close winner. Josef, Anna
                      > > > & son Josef Vojtech on the Kaiser Wilhem II arriving June 1, 1891. I say
                      > > > might because the few records I have for their son Josef states he was
                      > > > born in Oct 1891 and on this immigration record states he was 11 months
                      > > > when they arrived. Also the record states they came from Bohemia. This
                      > > > is the first time I've seen this place mentioned, all other records say
                      > > > Slovakia, Hungary. Josef (the son) his 1917 draft record, the only record
                      > > > I have to give a specific village states he was born in Zboro, Austria
                      > > > Hungary. Was Hungary also known as Bohemia? Could this be their record I

                    • Frank R Plichta
                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 3, 2011
                        Tom,

                        You assessment of the ship's name may be correct, however, you should also
                        know that ship names are reused.

                        You can check with the Mariners Museum in Newport News, Virginia who has an
                        extensive maritime library. For example when I checked on the ship that my
                        father came to America on in 1920 I found that there were 4 other ships with
                        the same name. Ship names get recycled. I do not know if that is true
                        about the Kaiser Wilhelm but it is a possibility to be considered.

                        Frank

                        _____