Re: [S-R] New to group and genealogy

  • Michael Mojher
    Message 1 of 23 , Feb 3, 2011
      One. Iwan Stankowitz arrived 12 JUL 1913

      Message 2 of 23 , Feb 3, 2011
        Thanks everyone for the great tips and offers to help. As mentioned, I am
        not even sure what country my great grandparents were from, let alone town
        or village. My father always said he was Russian and Italian; but both sets
        of his grandparents appear to be Austia-Hungarian/Czech/Austrian as reported
        by the various sources. The country changed a lot during those times, of
        course.

        I know I said, "Slovakian", but I cannot put my fingers on any official
        sources for that. For those of you who asked, here is the additional info on
        my great grandparents (as near as I can get at this point). Thanks again for
        all the advice and help.

        John Stankowitz b. 6 May 1879
        Arrival acc'd to 1920 census: 1904
        Arrival acc'd to 1930 census: 1903

        Mary ? b. abt 1888
        Arrival accd to 1920 census: 1907
        Arrival accd to 1930 census: 1905

        married abt 1911

        In the 1930 census, they both list their birthplaces as Czechoslovakia,
        their parents' birthplaces as Austria, and language spoken as Slovak. In
        1920, they listed their birthplaces as Austria.

        Michael Burkey b. abt 1875 Hungary
        Arrival accd to 1920 census: 1904
        Arrival accd to 1930 census: 1912

        Mary ? b. abt 1876 Austria
        Arrival accd to 1920 census: 1913

        Married about 1895 or 1896

        In 1920, they both list their birthplace as Austria, their fathers'
        birthplaces as Hungary, and their mothers' birthplaces as Austria. Their
        spoken language is Hungarian (actually specified as "magyar"). In 1930, they
        list their birthplaces and both parents' birthplaces as Hungary.

        Message 3 of 23 , Feb 3, 2011
          Sorry, someone asked where they lived. As far as I know, they all lived in
          Perth Amboy, NJ. Not sure if that was the first place they lived, but I
          haven't found any other residences yet.