Re: [S-R] Is Zborov in Bohemia?

  • Lubos Brieda
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 3, 2011
      Hi Cheryl,

      There is Zborov in Slovakia, the Czech Republic, and even Poland. Here is the
      Czech one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zborov_%28%C5%A0umperk_District%29

      About Bohemia, the word is used to refer to the western 2/3 of what is now the
      Czech Republic. The other half of the Czech Republic is Moravia. During the
      Austrio-Hungarian times, Slovakia was part of the Greater Hungary, which was
      called Uhorsko in Slovak.

      Hopefully this helps.

      -- Lubos Brieda --

      www.slovakcooking.com

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 3, 2011
        As you may know, the former provinces of Bohemia and Moravia are now a
        part of the Czech Republic.

        I see you write the village as Zborov and also as Zboro. There is a
        Zborov in present-day eastern Slovakia, but that is a long way from the
        Czech Republic. As a general rule in pre-1918 europe, Bohemia and Moravia
        were provinces in the Austrian Empire. The lands of present-day Slovakia
        were a part of the Kingdom of Hungary.

        Forget about Austria-Hungary for your search - this was a political
        partnership for external diplomatic, immigration and army purposes. Both
        Austria and Hungary maintained individual internal records and managed
        internal affairs separately. When someone states A-H, the first order of
        business is to determine the correct county. You are on the right path.

        What was his religion and declared ethnicity? You may be dealing with two
        different people. Are the people listed back home, or the destination the
        same? I cannot tell from the dates you provided how big the age
        discrepancy was. You have a lot more info to share with us before we can
        make progress. It's at your fingertips presuming the date of immigration
        was after 1904, when the immigration data collection requirements were
        broadened.

        Josef is not a name indigenous to eastern Slovakia. I am not very
        familiar with czech republic, however most of the village names in CR did
        not change as dramatically as they did in Slovakia.

        Good luck,
        Bill Tarkulich
        On Thu, February 3, 2011 1:35 pm, CherylM wrote:
        > I was never interested in geography/history in school and am paying for it
        > now. I have been searching for my great-grandparents immigration records
        > and believe I might have found them. After many years, I put in the right
        > combination surname spelling and came up with a close winner. Josef, Anna
        > & son Josef Vojtech on the Kaiser Wilhem II arriving June 1, 1891. I say
        > might because the few records I have for their son Josef states he was
        > born in Oct 1891 and on this immigration record states he was 11 months
        > when they arrived. Also the record states they came from Bohemia. This
        > is the first time I've seen this place mentioned, all other records say
        > Slovakia, Hungary. Josef (the son) his 1917 draft record, the only record
        > I have to give a specific village states he was born in Zboro, Austria
        > Hungary. Was Hungary also known as Bohemia? Could this be their record I
        > have been search for for so long?

        Bill
      • tom geiss
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 3, 2011
          First, Bohemia is in the Czech Republic.
          Second, I don't see how he could have come on the Kaiser Wilhelm 2 in 1891, since it wasn't built until 1901
          My cousin tried to tell me that my grandmother came on ythe Kaiser Wilhelm, but she came over in 1889.
          Tom
[...]

        • Bernardine Weigand
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 3, 2011
            My g.mother came on the Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse in 1914.
            Bernardine
            On Feb 3, 2011, at 2:12 PM, tom geiss wrote:

            > First, Bohemia is in the Czech Republic.
            > Second, I don't see how he could have come on the Kaiser Wilhelm 2
            > in 1891, since it wasn't built until 1901
            > My cousin tried to tell me that my grandmother came on ythe Kaiser
            > Wilhelm, but she came over in 1889.
            > Tom

          • Cheryl Moser
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 3, 2011
              Bill,

              I copied the info below from the search result.

              Josef Vojtech Arrival Date: 1 Jun 1891 Birth Year: abt 1865 Age: 26 Gender: Male Ethnicity/Race-
              /Nationality: Bohemian Place of Origin: Bohemia, Czechoslovakia Port of Departure: Bremen, Germany and Southampton, England Destination: United States of America Port of Arrival: New York Port Arrival State: New York Port Arrival Country: United States Ship Name: Kaiser Wilhelm II.

              Anna Vojtech Arrival Date: 1 Jun 1891 Birth Year: abt 1867 Age: 24 Gender: Female Ethnicity/Race-
              /Nationality: Bohemian Place of Origin: Bohemia, Czechoslovakia Port of Departure: Bremen, Germany and Southampton, England Destination: United States of America Port of Arrival: New York Port Arrival State: New York Port Arrival Country: United States Ship Name: Kaiser Wilhelm II

              Josef, my great grandfather, I have found nothing on him, no date of death, no obit, zilch.

              Anna, my ggm, I have year of births from census ranging from 1868, 1866, 1857, 1866 (from cenus 1900, 1910, 1920 & 1930). Her death certificate lists DOB as December 1868.

              I will stick to Zboro (since that is what is on the draft card.

              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 3, 2011
                I am going by the information found through the Steve Morse site. The
                source citation is : Year: 1891; Arrival: New York , United States;
                Microfilm Serial: M237; Microfilm Roll: M237_569; Line: 46; List Number:
                757; and this is the info displayed copied right from the web page; Matches
                1-2 of 2 Sorted By Relevance

                View Record Name Arrival Date Birth Year Port of Departure Ethnicity/
                Nationality Ship Name View Ship Image
                View Record
                Josef Vojtech 1 Jun 1891 abt 1865 Bremen, Germany and Southampton,
                England Bohemian Kaiser Wilhelm II
                View Record
                Josef Vojtech 1 Jun 1891 abt 1890 Bremen, Germany and Southampton,
                England Bohemian Kaiser Wilhelm II

                Cheryl

                > My g.mother came on the Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse in 1914.
                > Bernardine
                > On Feb 3, 2011, at 2:12 PM, tom geiss wrote:
                >
                >> First, Bohemia is in the Czech Republic.
                >> Second, I don't see how he could have come on the Kaiser Wilhelm 2
                >> in 1891, since it wasn't built until 1901
                >> My cousin tried to tell me that my grandmother came on ythe Kaiser
                >> Wilhelm, but she came over in 1889.
                >> Tom

              • Elaine
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 3, 2011
                  Bill, can you give some background on your comment about the name Josef not being indigenous to eastern Slovakia? Did you mean that particular spelling? I have found several Josephs in my Kolarcik line in Pol'anovce and Rozkovany going back to the early 1800s, and I have seen it in other families too. (Granted, it was not as common as Matthew, Michael or John!) Spelling in the revords I've seen varies depending on Latin vs Hungarian.

                  Elaine

                  Sent from my iPhone

                  On Feb 3, 2011, at 12:56 PM, "Bill Tarkulich" <bill.tarkulich@...> wrote:

                  > As you may know, the former provinces of Bohemia and Moravia are now a
                  > part of the Czech Republic.
                  >
                  > I see you write the village as Zborov and also as Zboro. There is a
                  > Zborov in present-day eastern Slovakia, but that is a long way from the
                  > Czech Republic. As a general rule in pre-1918 europe, Bohemia and Moravia
                  > were provinces in the Austrian Empire. The lands of present-day Slovakia
                  > were a part of the Kingdom of Hungary.
                  >
                  > Forget about Austria-Hungary for your search - this was a political
                  > partnership for external diplomatic, immigration and army purposes. Both
                  > Austria and Hungary maintained individual internal records and managed
                  > internal affairs separately. When someone states A-H, the first order of
                  > business is to determine the correct county. You are on the right path.
                  >
                  > What was his religion and declared ethnicity? You may be dealing with two
                  > different people. Are the people listed back home, or the destination the
                  > same? I cannot tell from the dates you provided how big the age
                  > discrepancy was. You have a lot more info to share with us before we can
                  > make progress. It's at your fingertips presuming the date of immigration
                  > was after 1904, when the immigration data collection requirements were
                  > broadened.
                  >
                  > Josef is not a name indigenous to eastern Slovakia. I am not very
                  > familiar with czech republic, however most of the village names in CR did
                  > not change as dramatically as they did in Slovakia.
                  >
                  > Good luck,
                  > Bill Tarkulich
                  > On Thu, February 3, 2011 1:35 pm, CherylM wrote:
                  > > I was never interested in geography/history in school and am paying for it
                  > > now. I have been searching for my great-grandparents immigration records
                  > > and believe I might have found them. After many years, I put in the right
                  > > combination surname spelling and came up with a close winner. Josef, Anna
                  > > & son Josef Vojtech on the Kaiser Wilhem II arriving June 1, 1891. I say
                  > > might because the few records I have for their son Josef states he was
                  > > born in Oct 1891 and on this immigration record states he was 11 months
                  > > when they arrived. Also the record states they came from Bohemia. This
                  > > is the first time I've seen this place mentioned, all other records say
                  > > Slovakia, Hungary. Josef (the son) his 1917 draft record, the only record
                  > > I have to give a specific village states he was born in Zboro, Austria
                  > > Hungary. Was Hungary also known as Bohemia? Could this be their record I
                  > > have been search for for so long?

                  > --
                  > Bill

                • Lubos Brieda
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 3, 2011
                    Hi Elaine, I don't know much about the particular variations between eastern vs.
                    western Slovakia, but.. Josef is Czech (or Bohemian) for Joseph. The Slovak
                    version is Jozef (with a z instead of s).

                    -- Lubos Brieda --

                    www.slovakcooking.com

                    ________________________________
> [...]

                    > > I was never interested in geography/history in school and am paying for it
                    > > now. I have been searching for my great-grandparents immigration records
                    > > and believe I might have found them. After many years, I put in the right
                    > > combination surname spelling and came up with a close winner. Josef, Anna
                    > > & son Josef Vojtech on the Kaiser Wilhem II arriving June 1, 1891. I say
                    > > might because the few records I have for their son Josef states he was
                    > > born in Oct 1891 and on this immigration record states he was 11 months
                    > > when they arrived. Also the record states they came from Bohemia. This
                    > > is the first time I've seen this place mentioned, all other records say
                    > > Slovakia, Hungary. Josef (the son) his 1917 draft record, the only record
                    > > I have to give a specific village states he was born in Zboro, Austria
                    > > Hungary. Was Hungary also known as Bohemia? Could this be their record I

                  • Elaine
                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 3, 2011
                      Thanks, Lubos, I didn't know whether Bill was referring to spelling or something else.

                      Elaine

                      Sent from my iPhone

                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 3, 2011
                        The Zborov area was dominate by Rusyns, which used their own, non-codifed
                        language, which was not Slovak.

                        Bill
                      • nilo3rak
                        Message 11 of 13 , Feb 3, 2011
                          My family is full of Joszef's in old Zemplin county from south of Svidnik to Turany.
                          Then in another part of the family the name is found from the headwaters of the Tarcza River (Saros county) all the way back to the Orava River in Zemplin. It is as common as John.
                          Carolyn

                          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Elaine <epowell@...> wrote:

> [...]
                          > > > I was never interested in geography/history in school and am paying for it
                          > > > now. I have been searching for my great-grandparents immigration records
                          > > > and believe I might have found them. After many years, I put in the right
                          > > > combination surname spelling and came up with a close winner. Josef, Anna
                          > > > & son Josef Vojtech on the Kaiser Wilhem II arriving June 1, 1891. I say
                          > > > might because the few records I have for their son Josef states he was
                          > > > born in Oct 1891 and on this immigration record states he was 11 months
                          > > > when they arrived. Also the record states they came from Bohemia. This
                          > > > is the first time I've seen this place mentioned, all other records say
                          > > > Slovakia, Hungary. Josef (the son) his 1917 draft record, the only record
                          > > > I have to give a specific village states he was born in Zboro, Austria
                          > > > Hungary. Was Hungary also known as Bohemia? Could this be their record I

                        • Frank R Plichta
                          Message 12 of 13 , Feb 3, 2011
                            Tom,

                            You assessment of the ship's name may be correct, however, you should also
                            know that ship names are reused.

                            You can check with the Mariners Museum in Newport News, Virginia who has an
                            extensive maritime library. For example when I checked on the ship that my
                            father came to America on in 1920 I found that there were 4 other ships with
                            the same name. Ship names get recycled. I do not know if that is true
                            about the Kaiser Wilhelm but it is a possibility to be considered.

                            Frank

                            _____