Re: [S-R] New to group and genealogy/ellis island

  • Bernardine Weigand
    Message 1 of 23 , Feb 3, 2011
      On Feb 2, 2011, at 11:16 PM, Scott Stankowitz wrote:
      Scott, I just found many STANKIEWICZ on the Ellis Island site.
      Bernardine

    • Michael Mojher
      Message 2 of 23 , Feb 3, 2011
        One. Iwan Stankowitz arrived 12 JUL 1913

        Message 3 of 23 , Feb 3, 2011
          Thanks everyone for the great tips and offers to help. As mentioned, I am
          not even sure what country my great grandparents were from, let alone town
          or village. My father always said he was Russian and Italian; but both sets
          of his grandparents appear to be Austia-Hungarian/Czech/Austrian as reported
          by the various sources. The country changed a lot during those times, of
          course.

          I know I said, "Slovakian", but I cannot put my fingers on any official
          sources for that. For those of you who asked, here is the additional info on
          my great grandparents (as near as I can get at this point). Thanks again for
          all the advice and help.

          John Stankowitz b. 6 May 1879
          Arrival acc'd to 1920 census: 1904
          Arrival acc'd to 1930 census: 1903

          Mary ? b. abt 1888
          Arrival accd to 1920 census: 1907
          Arrival accd to 1930 census: 1905

          married abt 1911

          In the 1930 census, they both list their birthplaces as Czechoslovakia,
          their parents' birthplaces as Austria, and language spoken as Slovak. In
          1920, they listed their birthplaces as Austria.

          Michael Burkey b. abt 1875 Hungary
          Arrival accd to 1920 census: 1904
          Arrival accd to 1930 census: 1912

          Mary ? b. abt 1876 Austria
          Arrival accd to 1920 census: 1913

          Married about 1895 or 1896

          In 1920, they both list their birthplace as Austria, their fathers'
          birthplaces as Hungary, and their mothers' birthplaces as Austria. Their
          spoken language is Hungarian (actually specified as "magyar"). In 1930, they
          list their birthplaces and both parents' birthplaces as Hungary.

          Message 4 of 23 , Feb 3, 2011
            Sorry, someone asked where they lived. As far as I know, they all lived in
            Perth Amboy, NJ. Not sure if that was the first place they lived, but I
            haven't found any other residences yet.