Re: [S-R] New to group and genealogy/variant in name spelling

  • Bernardine Weigand
    Message 1 of 23 , Feb 3, 2011
      Scott, my daughter's friend's family spells their name STANKIEWICZ.
      Bernardine

    • Bernardine Weigand
      Message 2 of 23 , Feb 3, 2011
        On Feb 2, 2011, at 11:16 PM, Scott Stankowitz wrote:
        Scott, I just found many STANKIEWICZ on the Ellis Island site.
        Bernardine

      • Michael Mojher
        Message 3 of 23 , Feb 3, 2011
          One. Iwan Stankowitz arrived 12 JUL 1913

          Message 4 of 23 , Feb 3, 2011
            Thanks everyone for the great tips and offers to help. As mentioned, I am
            not even sure what country my great grandparents were from, let alone town
            or village. My father always said he was Russian and Italian; but both sets
            of his grandparents appear to be Austia-Hungarian/Czech/Austrian as reported
            by the various sources. The country changed a lot during those times, of
            course.

            I know I said, "Slovakian", but I cannot put my fingers on any official
            sources for that. For those of you who asked, here is the additional info on
            my great grandparents (as near as I can get at this point). Thanks again for
            all the advice and help.

            John Stankowitz b. 6 May 1879
            Arrival acc'd to 1920 census: 1904
            Arrival acc'd to 1930 census: 1903

            Mary ? b. abt 1888
            Arrival accd to 1920 census: 1907
            Arrival accd to 1930 census: 1905

            married abt 1911

            In the 1930 census, they both list their birthplaces as Czechoslovakia,
            their parents' birthplaces as Austria, and language spoken as Slovak. In
            1920, they listed their birthplaces as Austria.

            Michael Burkey b. abt 1875 Hungary
            Arrival accd to 1920 census: 1904
            Arrival accd to 1930 census: 1912

            Mary ? b. abt 1876 Austria
            Arrival accd to 1920 census: 1913

            Married about 1895 or 1896

            In 1920, they both list their birthplace as Austria, their fathers'
            birthplaces as Hungary, and their mothers' birthplaces as Austria. Their
            spoken language is Hungarian (actually specified as "magyar"). In 1930, they
            list their birthplaces and both parents' birthplaces as Hungary.

            Message 5 of 23 , Feb 3, 2011
              Sorry, someone asked where they lived. As far as I know, they all lived in
              Perth Amboy, NJ. Not sure if that was the first place they lived, but I
              haven't found any other residences yet.