Re: [S-R] New to group and genealogy

  • Cheryl Moser
    Message 1 of 23 , Feb 3, 2011
      Scott,

      I like the Steve Morse site http://stevemorse.org/ to search for immigration records. You can search by "sounds like". I prefer this site over Ellis Island (seems more user friendly to me). You can choose which parameters you want to search by being very specific or vague.

      Good luck,
      Cheryl

      Message 2 of 23 , Feb 3, 2011
        Scott,
        I did a Ancestry.com search with Stankovwitz. There were 144 listings for immigrants. Only one said they were from Slovakia. An Iwan who arrived 12 JUL 1913. The vast majority were Russian, Lithuanian and Polish.
        What are the given names of your great-grandfather and grandmother?

        Message 3 of 23 , Feb 3, 2011
          Scott,
          I used Steve Morse’s search for Stankowitz. There were 69 listings. Without the given name the search stopped there. There were about the same number for Burkey. Strangely almost half had the given name Alfred.

          Message 4 of 23 , Feb 3, 2011
            >>> I used Steve Morse’s search for Stankowitz. There were 69 listings. Without the given name the search stopped there. There were about the same number for Burkey. <<<

            Were ANY from present-day Slovakia?
          • Bernardine Weigand
            Message 5 of 23 , Feb 3, 2011
              Scott, my daughter's friend's family spells their name STANKIEWICZ.
              Bernardine

            • Bernardine Weigand
              Message 6 of 23 , Feb 3, 2011
                On Feb 2, 2011, at 11:16 PM, Scott Stankowitz wrote:
                Scott, I just found many STANKIEWICZ on the Ellis Island site.
                Bernardine

              • Michael Mojher
                Message 7 of 23 , Feb 3, 2011
                  One. Iwan Stankowitz arrived 12 JUL 1913

                  Message 8 of 23 , Feb 3, 2011
                    Thanks everyone for the great tips and offers to help. As mentioned, I am
                    not even sure what country my great grandparents were from, let alone town
                    or village. My father always said he was Russian and Italian; but both sets
                    of his grandparents appear to be Austia-Hungarian/Czech/Austrian as reported
                    by the various sources. The country changed a lot during those times, of
                    course.

                    I know I said, "Slovakian", but I cannot put my fingers on any official
                    sources for that. For those of you who asked, here is the additional info on
                    my great grandparents (as near as I can get at this point). Thanks again for
                    all the advice and help.

                    John Stankowitz b. 6 May 1879
                    Arrival acc'd to 1920 census: 1904
                    Arrival acc'd to 1930 census: 1903

                    Mary ? b. abt 1888
                    Arrival accd to 1920 census: 1907
                    Arrival accd to 1930 census: 1905

                    married abt 1911

                    In the 1930 census, they both list their birthplaces as Czechoslovakia,
                    their parents' birthplaces as Austria, and language spoken as Slovak. In
                    1920, they listed their birthplaces as Austria.

                    Michael Burkey b. abt 1875 Hungary
                    Arrival accd to 1920 census: 1904
                    Arrival accd to 1930 census: 1912

                    Mary ? b. abt 1876 Austria
                    Arrival accd to 1920 census: 1913

                    Married about 1895 or 1896

                    In 1920, they both list their birthplace as Austria, their fathers'
                    birthplaces as Hungary, and their mothers' birthplaces as Austria. Their
                    spoken language is Hungarian (actually specified as "magyar"). In 1930, they
                    list their birthplaces and both parents' birthplaces as Hungary.

                    On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 2:06 PM, Michael Mojher <mgmojher@...> wrote:

                    > One. Iwan Stankowitz arrived 12 JUL 1913

                  • Scott Stankowitz
                    Message 9 of 23 , Feb 3, 2011
                      Sorry, someone asked where they lived. As far as I know, they all lived in
                      Perth Amboy, NJ. Not sure if that was the first place they lived, but I
                      haven't found any other residences yet.