Re: [S-R] New to group and genealogy

  • helene cincebeaux
    Message 1 of 23 , Feb 3, 2011
      I have 3 listings in the Slovak Pride data base - one is for Stankowicz and then
      two individuals listing Stankovic. The surname of one is Stankovitz.

      Contact me directly for more info helenezx@...

      helene

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 23 , Feb 3, 2011
        Sorry, gang, somehow my post (which I had written in a word processor
        and then cut & paste into email) came through w/o apostrophes or quote
        marks and in some cases lost spaces between words. If anyone finds it
        confusing because of that, let me know and I will re-post.

        Julie
        On Feb 3, 2011, at 10:14 AM, Julie Michutka wrote:

        > Hello Scott,
        >
        > Welcome to genealogy! Oh, you’re gonna get addicted!
        >
        > First of all, let me warn you that you must cancel that free two week
        > subscription to Ancestry.com before the 14th day, or they will charge
        > you for a full subscription, and then you have the big hassle of
        > trying to get your money back.
      • Cheryl Moser
        Message 3 of 23 , Feb 3, 2011
          Scott,

          I like the Steve Morse site http://stevemorse.org/ to search for immigration records. You can search by "sounds like". I prefer this site over Ellis Island (seems more user friendly to me). You can choose which parameters you want to search by being very specific or vague.

          Good luck,
          Cheryl

          Message 4 of 23 , Feb 3, 2011
            Scott,
            I did a Ancestry.com search with Stankovwitz. There were 144 listings for immigrants. Only one said they were from Slovakia. An Iwan who arrived 12 JUL 1913. The vast majority were Russian, Lithuanian and Polish.
            What are the given names of your great-grandfather and grandmother?

            Message 5 of 23 , Feb 3, 2011
              Scott,
              I used Steve Morse’s search for Stankowitz. There were 69 listings. Without the given name the search stopped there. There were about the same number for Burkey. Strangely almost half had the given name Alfred.

              Message 6 of 23 , Feb 3, 2011
                >>> I used Steve Morse’s search for Stankowitz. There were 69 listings. Without the given name the search stopped there. There were about the same number for Burkey. <<<

                Were ANY from present-day Slovakia?
              • Bernardine Weigand
                Message 7 of 23 , Feb 3, 2011
                  Scott, my daughter's friend's family spells their name STANKIEWICZ.
                  Bernardine

                • Bernardine Weigand
                  Message 8 of 23 , Feb 3, 2011
                    On Feb 2, 2011, at 11:16 PM, Scott Stankowitz wrote:
                    Scott, I just found many STANKIEWICZ on the Ellis Island site.
                    Bernardine

                  • Michael Mojher
                    Message 9 of 23 , Feb 3, 2011
                      One. Iwan Stankowitz arrived 12 JUL 1913

                      Message 10 of 23 , Feb 3, 2011
                        Thanks everyone for the great tips and offers to help. As mentioned, I am
                        not even sure what country my great grandparents were from, let alone town
                        or village. My father always said he was Russian and Italian; but both sets
                        of his grandparents appear to be Austia-Hungarian/Czech/Austrian as reported
                        by the various sources. The country changed a lot during those times, of
                        course.

                        I know I said, "Slovakian", but I cannot put my fingers on any official
                        sources for that. For those of you who asked, here is the additional info on
                        my great grandparents (as near as I can get at this point). Thanks again for
                        all the advice and help.

                        John Stankowitz b. 6 May 1879
                        Arrival acc'd to 1920 census: 1904
                        Arrival acc'd to 1930 census: 1903

                        Mary ? b. abt 1888
                        Arrival accd to 1920 census: 1907
                        Arrival accd to 1930 census: 1905

                        married abt 1911

                        In the 1930 census, they both list their birthplaces as Czechoslovakia,
                        their parents' birthplaces as Austria, and language spoken as Slovak. In
                        1920, they listed their birthplaces as Austria.

                        Michael Burkey b. abt 1875 Hungary
                        Arrival accd to 1920 census: 1904
                        Arrival accd to 1930 census: 1912

                        Mary ? b. abt 1876 Austria
                        Arrival accd to 1920 census: 1913

                        Married about 1895 or 1896

                        In 1920, they both list their birthplace as Austria, their fathers'
                        birthplaces as Hungary, and their mothers' birthplaces as Austria. Their
                        spoken language is Hungarian (actually specified as "magyar"). In 1930, they
                        list their birthplaces and both parents' birthplaces as Hungary.

                        On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 2:06 PM, Michael Mojher <mgmojher@...> wrote:

                        > One. Iwan Stankowitz arrived 12 JUL 1913

                      • Scott Stankowitz
                        Message 11 of 23 , Feb 3, 2011
                          Sorry, someone asked where they lived. As far as I know, they all lived in
                          Perth Amboy, NJ. Not sure if that was the first place they lived, but I
                          haven't found any other residences yet.