Re: [S-R] New to group and genealogy

  • John
    Message 1 of 23 , Feb 3, 2011
      >>> My father's mother's surname was BURKEY, but I have also
      seen BERKY. <<<

      For Slovakia, Berky(ova) computes. The other possible spellings do not. Stankovic(ova) works too.

      If nothing else works to define the village of origin, it is quite possible to cross-reference the villages where these surnames existed in the 1995 Slovak census. Then, you could look at the relevant church records for each village. If the villages are in eastern Slovakia, as you suspect, the GC church records are online.
    • Mike Belan
      Message 2 of 23 , Feb 3, 2011
        Hi john

        Do you have Stanko in your family line. Are they from the Lubenik area of
        Slovakia. My Grandmother was a Stanko.

        Mike

        >>> My father's mother's surname was BURKEY, but I have also
        seen BERKY. <<<

        For Slovakia, Berky(ova) computes. The other possible spellings do not.
        Stankovic(ova) works too.

        If nothing else works to define the village of origin, it is quite possible
        to cross-reference the villages where these surnames existed in the 1995
        Slovak census. Then, you could look at the relevant church records for each
        village. If the villages are in eastern Slovakia, as you suspect, the GC
        church records are online.

      • Elaine Summerhill
        Message 3 of 23 , Feb 3, 2011
          I have a Mary Stanka, daughter of Michael Stanko. They were from the Nitra area
          in Slovakia.

          ________________________________
          Message 4 of 23 , Feb 3, 2011
            >>> My father's father's surname is STANKOWITZ, but I have also
            seen STANKOVICH. My father's mother's surname was BURKEY, but I have also seen BERKY. <<<

            According to genealogist Juraj Cisarik, there are (only) two villages where Stankovic and Berky surnames collide.

            OLD NAMES of the village:
            1808 Kotmán-Lehota, Kotmanowá Lhota, 1863 Kotmánlehota, 1873â€"1882, 1898â€"1902 Kotmanlehota, 1888â€"1895 Kottmanlehota, 1907â€"1913 Kotmány, 1920â€"1948 Kotmanová, 1948â€"1990 Dobročská Lehota, 1990â€" Kotmanová. Located southeast of Detva in south central Slovakia.

            OLD NAMES of the village:
            1808 FelsÅ`-Mladonya, Horní Mladonice, 1863â€"1888 FelsÅ`mladonya, 1892â€"1913 FelsÅ`legénd, 1920 Horné Mladunice, [Horné] Mladonice, 1927â€" Horné Mladonice. Located east of Krupina in south central Slovakia.

            You may want to research GC church records covering these two villages. The film reference numbers are not given by LDS online.

            LDS FICHES (set of 6) LDS #6000786
            Survey of parish registers in Slovakia up to the time of civil registration. Provides details of church records that are held in Slovak archives. Index of villages is on fiche #6 and page references refer to different religions. Most of these church records are available on film via your LDS Family History Center.

            The Cisarik information is consistent with (though not identical) to the 1995 Slovak Census which showed the surnames meeting in two distinct areas. (Lower case for one surname, uppeer case for other one)

            HruÅ¡ov, okr. Veľký krtíš â€" 8×;
            VEĽKÝ KRTÍŠ, okr. VEĽKÝ KRTÍŠ â€" 78×;

            *******

            Čekovce, okr. Zvolen (od r. 1996 krupina) â€" 6×;
            DETVA-SÍDLISKO (obec DETVA), okr. ZVOLEN (od r. 1996 DETVA) â€" 112×;
            DETVA, okr. ZVOLEN (od r. 1996 DETVA) â€" 35×;
            KRIVEC II (obec HRIŇOVÁ), okr. ZVOLEN (od r. 1996 DETVA) â€" 1×;
            ZVOLEN, okr. ZVOLEN â€" 76×;

            These sources would suggest a village in south central Slovakia.
          • Julie Michutka
            Message 5 of 23 , Feb 3, 2011
              Hello Scott,

              Welcome to genealogy! Oh, you�re gonna get addicted!

              First of all, let me warn you that you must cancel that free two week
              subscription to Ancestry.com before the 14th day, or they will charge
              you for a full subscription, and then you have the big hassle of
              trying to get your money back.

              Secondly, when you say �New Jersey doesn't have publicly searchable
              marriage records either,� I think what you really mean is that they
              don�t have records online. New Jersey records are publicly accessible,
              you just can�t *see* them on the internet; you will have to order
              them. Please see http://www.state.nj.us/health/vital/gen.shtml for
              info and details.

              So, do I understand you correctly that there are three immigrants:
              your father, his mother, and his father? How old was your father when
              he arrived? Did your father have siblings? If so, were they born here
              or in Europe? It sounds like you don�t know if your father�s parents
              had any other relatives immigrate, but holler if I�m wrong about that.

              You also mention, �I am initially looking for some web resources to
              aid in my research.� There is tons of stuff on the internet�but not
              everything. At some point, you will almost certainly have to fill out
              a form, write an email, pick up the phone and make a call, and oh yes,
              probably spend a little bit of money (see New Jersey marriage records
              above).

              Organization will be important in getting the most information from
              any record you obtain and correlating it with other information that
              you have (or will have in the future). When I have a new ancestry to
              work on, and I�m trying to determine where in Europe someone came
              from, I immediately create a timeline for the immigrant. My timeline
              ends up looking like a chart, because I make the timeline vertical
              (rather than horizontal), and then add columns alongside it. You can
              do this with a spreadsheet (Excel, Numbers), with a table in a word
              processing program (Word, Pages), on with good ol� paper and pencil.
              I like Excel, myself.

              You can make the timeline for the family, or for each individual in
              the family. Making a timeline that tracks multiple individuals (a
              family) can become confusing; I prefer one for each individual, or
              each married couple. If you do a whole family in one timeline, you
              might want to use color-coding for the individuals.

              So, create your timeline going down the left side of your paper. At
              the top of the left side, write �Event�; this is your column heading.
              Write down every event that generated, or might have generated,
              documentation, even if you don�t yet have the document (because this
              timeline will help you decide what records to look for). A basic list
              is easy: birth, baptism, immigration (for some lucky folks, there�s a
              manifest from each end of the trip, so two events: emigration and
              immigration), each census record, naturalization papers or alien
              registration form, social security application, marriage, births of
              children, divorce, spouse�s death, death. Add in anything else you
              know: best man at someone�s wedding, godparent to someone�s child,
              draft registration (there�s one you can look up on Ancestry.com),
              moving from one place to another, purchase / sale of property,
              arrests, driver�s license (date of birth!), church membership.

              Now, parallel to that timeline column, add the following columns: date
              of the event; location of the event; document associated with the
              event (eg marriage license, marriage record); other documents to find;
              notes.

              Your �events� column was just that: the name of the event, with no
              date. �Anna Birkey m. Jan Stankovic� is an event. So is �1920 census.�

              �Date of event� can be general if you don�t have concrete info: �prob.
              bef. their son�s birth in Sept 1900� and �January 3, 1920� are equally
              acceptable entries.

              �Location of the event� again can be specific or general: �Europe,
              possibly Slovakia or present-day Ukraine�; �Toms River, New Jersey�

              �Document associated with the event� is probably self-explanatory:
              parish register entry, certificate, census record, newspaper clipping,
              obituary, child�s birth certificate. Be a little specific (John
              Pavlik obituary, Toms River Gazette, 3 April 1962) or have a second
              spreadsheet just for your documents (recommended) and then just enter
              the document name & number here (�doc #3, John Pavlik obit�). Trust
              me, you will want to keep track of where you found every bit of info,
              otherwise you will find yourself scratching your head and wondering
              �now just how did I know that?� by the time you have 6 documents.

              �Other documents to find�: say the obituary mentions that a man is a
              veteran; now you want to find his draft registration card on
              Ancestry.com. An alien registration form gives a date of immigration;
              note that you need to check that. So this column is sort of a
              �tickler� file, to remind you of places and info to search.

              �Notes� is anything; great place to write those questions that come to
              you as you look at a new document. Or look at an old document, in
              light of new info. Sometimes I note occupations here, especially if I
              have two guys with the same name in the same county (men named John
              Horvath in West Virginia�that was a pain!). Or observations on census
              records: �boarder in a rooming house with other Slovaks; one has same
              surname.�

              Anyway, that�s what I create for a timeline, and I return to it again
              and again and again as I research the individual or family, adding
              things, correcting things, tweaking. A recent one had three different
              birthdates and two different surnames for a woman (different
              documents, different informant for each document => different info!).
              I put each in my timeline, and as I accumulated more info, I was able
              to determine which one was correct, and see why the others were
              wrong. I did not remove the incorrect ones, but made the entry with
              the correct date/name bold print. When the problem is solved or the
              project is done, it is easy to then make a nice neat timeline as a
              family record, or use your working timeline as the outline of a
              narrative or report.

              I would encourage you to look at local histories and parish histories
              for the area(s) where your family settled. Many of these can be found
              online. Google the location name plus the word �history.� Work on the
              family�s FAN club: Friends Associates and Neighbors. As someone else
              mentioned in a reply to you, people often settled with or near others
              from the same place.

              You don�t mention whether the census records indicate that anyone in
              the family was naturalized. You likely can find either naturalization
              papers or alien registration forms. These should give you the info
              you�re looking for. So should a social security application (SS-5),
              which can be ordered for any deceased individual. You have some good
              options�they won�t necessarily be free and accessible on the internet,
              but they�re out there.

              Hope this helps.

              Julie Michutka
              jmm@...

              On Feb 2, 2011, at 10:55 PM, Scott Stankowitz wrote:

              > Hello,
              >
              > I'm new to the group and genealogy research in general. I opted for
              > a free
              > two week subscription to ancestry.com, and have been trying to track
              > my
              > father's family, who arrived in the US from Austria-Hungary in the
              > early
              > 1900's.

            • helene cincebeaux
              Message 6 of 23 , Feb 3, 2011
                I have 3 listings in the Slovak Pride data base - one is for Stankowicz and then
                two individuals listing Stankovic. The surname of one is Stankovitz.

                Contact me directly for more info helenezx@...

                helene

                ________________________________
                >>> My father's father's surname is STANKOWITZ, but I have also
                seen STANKOVICH. My father's mother's surname was BURKEY, but I have also seen
                BERKY. <<<

                According to genealogist Juraj Cisarik, there are (only) two villages where
                Stankovic and Berky surnames collide.

                OLD NAMES of the village:
                1808 Kotmán-Lehota, Kotmanowá Lhota, 1863 Kotmánlehota, 1873â€"1882,
                1898â€"1902 Kotmanlehota, 1888â€"1895 Kottmanlehota, 1907â€"1913 Kotmány,
                1920â€"1948 Kotmanová, 1948â€"1990 DobroÄ�ská Lehota, 1990â€" Kotmanová.
[...]

                VEĽKÃ� KRTÃ�Å , okr. VEĽKÃ� KRTÃ�Å  â€" 78×;

                *******

                ÄŒekovce, okr. Zvolen (od r. 1996 krupina) â€" 6×;
                DETVA-SÃ�DLISKO (obec DETVA), okr. ZVOLEN (od r. 1996 DETVA) â€" 112×;
                DETVA, okr. ZVOLEN (od r. 1996 DETVA) â€" 35×;
                KRIVEC II (obec HRIŇOVÃ�), okr. ZVOLEN (od r. 1996 DETVA) â€" 1×;

                Message 7 of 23 , Feb 3, 2011
                  Sorry, gang, somehow my post (which I had written in a word processor
                  and then cut & paste into email) came through w/o apostrophes or quote
                  marks and in some cases lost spaces between words. If anyone finds it
                  confusing because of that, let me know and I will re-post.

                  Julie
                  On Feb 3, 2011, at 10:14 AM, Julie Michutka wrote:

                  > Hello Scott,
                  >
                  > Welcome to genealogy! Oh, you’re gonna get addicted!
                  >
                  > First of all, let me warn you that you must cancel that free two week
                  > subscription to Ancestry.com before the 14th day, or they will charge
                  > you for a full subscription, and then you have the big hassle of
                  > trying to get your money back.
                • Cheryl Moser
                  Message 8 of 23 , Feb 3, 2011
                    Scott,

                    I like the Steve Morse site http://stevemorse.org/ to search for immigration records. You can search by "sounds like". I prefer this site over Ellis Island (seems more user friendly to me). You can choose which parameters you want to search by being very specific or vague.

                    Good luck,
                    Cheryl

                    Message 9 of 23 , Feb 3, 2011
                      Scott,
                      I did a Ancestry.com search with Stankovwitz. There were 144 listings for immigrants. Only one said they were from Slovakia. An Iwan who arrived 12 JUL 1913. The vast majority were Russian, Lithuanian and Polish.
                      What are the given names of your great-grandfather and grandmother?

                      Message 10 of 23 , Feb 3, 2011
                        Scott,
                        I used Steve Morse’s search for Stankowitz. There were 69 listings. Without the given name the search stopped there. There were about the same number for Burkey. Strangely almost half had the given name Alfred.

                        Message 11 of 23 , Feb 3, 2011
                          >>> I used Steve Morse’s search for Stankowitz. There were 69 listings. Without the given name the search stopped there. There were about the same number for Burkey. <<<

                          Were ANY from present-day Slovakia?
                        • Bernardine Weigand
                          Message 12 of 23 , Feb 3, 2011
                            Scott, my daughter's friend's family spells their name STANKIEWICZ.
                            Bernardine

                          • Bernardine Weigand
                            Message 13 of 23 , Feb 3, 2011
                              On Feb 2, 2011, at 11:16 PM, Scott Stankowitz wrote:
                              Scott, I just found many STANKIEWICZ on the Ellis Island site.
                              Bernardine

                            • Michael Mojher
                              Message 14 of 23 , Feb 3, 2011
                                One. Iwan Stankowitz arrived 12 JUL 1913

                                Message 15 of 23 , Feb 3, 2011
                                  Thanks everyone for the great tips and offers to help. As mentioned, I am
                                  not even sure what country my great grandparents were from, let alone town
                                  or village. My father always said he was Russian and Italian; but both sets
                                  of his grandparents appear to be Austia-Hungarian/Czech/Austrian as reported
                                  by the various sources. The country changed a lot during those times, of
                                  course.

                                  I know I said, "Slovakian", but I cannot put my fingers on any official
                                  sources for that. For those of you who asked, here is the additional info on
                                  my great grandparents (as near as I can get at this point). Thanks again for
                                  all the advice and help.

                                  John Stankowitz b. 6 May 1879
                                  Arrival acc'd to 1920 census: 1904
                                  Arrival acc'd to 1930 census: 1903

                                  Mary ? b. abt 1888
                                  Arrival accd to 1920 census: 1907
                                  Arrival accd to 1930 census: 1905

                                  married abt 1911

                                  In the 1930 census, they both list their birthplaces as Czechoslovakia,
                                  their parents' birthplaces as Austria, and language spoken as Slovak. In
                                  1920, they listed their birthplaces as Austria.

                                  Michael Burkey b. abt 1875 Hungary
                                  Arrival accd to 1920 census: 1904
                                  Arrival accd to 1930 census: 1912

                                  Mary ? b. abt 1876 Austria
                                  Arrival accd to 1920 census: 1913

                                  Married about 1895 or 1896

                                  In 1920, they both list their birthplace as Austria, their fathers'
                                  birthplaces as Hungary, and their mothers' birthplaces as Austria. Their
                                  spoken language is Hungarian (actually specified as "magyar"). In 1930, they
                                  list their birthplaces and both parents' birthplaces as Hungary.

                                  On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 2:06 PM, Michael Mojher <mgmojher@...> wrote:

                                  > One. Iwan Stankowitz arrived 12 JUL 1913

                                • Scott Stankowitz
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Feb 3, 2011
                                    Sorry, someone asked where they lived. As far as I know, they all lived in
                                    Perth Amboy, NJ. Not sure if that was the first place they lived, but I
                                    haven't found any other residences yet.