Re: New to group and genealogy

  • Carl
    Message 1 of 23 , Feb 3, 2011
      Stan,
      More information is needed here. First names, birth dates including years, location of residency in the US especially the first location, all would help.
      CK

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Scott Stankowitz <scott.stankowitz@...> wrote:

      > Thanks Elaine. My father's father's surname is STANKOWITZ, but I have also
      > seen STANKOVICH. My father's mother's surname was BURKEY, but I have also
      > seen BERKY.
      >
      > On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 11:07 PM, Elaine <epowell@...> wrote:
      >
      > > Scott, have you tried searching on the Ellis Island database? Do you have
      > > any indication of a village name?
      > >
      > > Even if there are multiple names, it will help the group to know what those
      > > are.
      > >
      > > Others may have more initial thoughts also.
      > >
      > > Elaine P
      > >

      > > Sent from my iPhone
      > >
      > > On Feb 2, 2011, at 9:55 PM, Scott Stankowitz <scott.stankowitz@...>
      > > wrote:
      > >
      > > > Hello,
      > > >
      > > > I'm new to the group and genealogy research in general. I opted for a
      > > free
      > > > two week subscription to ancestry.com, and have been trying to track my
      > > > father's family, who arrived in the US from Austria-Hungary in the early
      > > > 1900's. I'd like to say they arrived in 1904, but one census record
      > > > indicates 1904, another says 1912, so there is quite a bit of guesswork
      > > > involved. Add to that the fact that their surnames are listed differently
      > > in
      > > > each census, and for all I know their names were different when they
      > > > emigrated. I also only have his mother's maiden name, and New Jersey
      > > doesn't
      > > > have publicly searchable marriage records either.
      > > >
      > > > My father always claimed he was from Russia, and was never very close to
      > > his
      > > > family. The census records variously say that his parents' parents were
      > > from
      > > > Austria, Czechoslovakia, and Slovakia; and I haven't yet managed to track
      > > > down any immigration records for his side either. It is unfortunate that
      > > > cannot yet determine my family's exact origins, I was initially thinking
      > > > Belarus actually...then Ruthenia...but they were probably from the area
      > > of
      > > > the country in present day Slovakia near Poland and Ukraine. But that's
      > > just
      > > > my gut talking, i am looking for some proof...of course they could have
      > > > departed from anywhere. He belonged to an Eastern Orthodox church growing
      > > > up, maybe that will narrow things down...
      > > >
      > > > I am initially looking for some web resources to aid in my research, and
      > > > would appreciate any insight on what is out there beyond ancestry.com,
      > > and
      > > > any ideas how to go about finding any useful records and shedding some
      > > light
      > > > on this mystery. Thanks in advance for your help and support.
      > > >
      > > > Scott

    • John
      Message 2 of 23 , Feb 3, 2011
        >>> My father's mother's surname was BURKEY, but I have also
        seen BERKY. <<<

        For Slovakia, Berky(ova) computes. The other possible spellings do not. Stankovic(ova) works too.

        If nothing else works to define the village of origin, it is quite possible to cross-reference the villages where these surnames existed in the 1995 Slovak census. Then, you could look at the relevant church records for each village. If the villages are in eastern Slovakia, as you suspect, the GC church records are online.
      • Mike Belan
        Message 3 of 23 , Feb 3, 2011
          Hi john

          Do you have Stanko in your family line. Are they from the Lubenik area of
          Slovakia. My Grandmother was a Stanko.

          Mike

          >>> My father's mother's surname was BURKEY, but I have also
          seen BERKY. <<<

          For Slovakia, Berky(ova) computes. The other possible spellings do not.
          Stankovic(ova) works too.

          If nothing else works to define the village of origin, it is quite possible
          to cross-reference the villages where these surnames existed in the 1995
          Slovak census. Then, you could look at the relevant church records for each
          village. If the villages are in eastern Slovakia, as you suspect, the GC
          church records are online.

        • Elaine Summerhill
          Message 4 of 23 , Feb 3, 2011
            I have a Mary Stanka, daughter of Michael Stanko. They were from the Nitra area
            in Slovakia.

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 23 , Feb 3, 2011
              >>> My father's father's surname is STANKOWITZ, but I have also
              seen STANKOVICH. My father's mother's surname was BURKEY, but I have also seen BERKY. <<<

              According to genealogist Juraj Cisarik, there are (only) two villages where Stankovic and Berky surnames collide.

              OLD NAMES of the village:
              1808 Kotmán-Lehota, Kotmanowá Lhota, 1863 Kotmánlehota, 1873â€"1882, 1898â€"1902 Kotmanlehota, 1888â€"1895 Kottmanlehota, 1907â€"1913 Kotmány, 1920â€"1948 Kotmanová, 1948â€"1990 Dobročská Lehota, 1990â€" Kotmanová. Located southeast of Detva in south central Slovakia.

              OLD NAMES of the village:
              1808 FelsÅ`-Mladonya, Horní Mladonice, 1863â€"1888 FelsÅ`mladonya, 1892â€"1913 FelsÅ`legénd, 1920 Horné Mladunice, [Horné] Mladonice, 1927â€" Horné Mladonice. Located east of Krupina in south central Slovakia.

              You may want to research GC church records covering these two villages. The film reference numbers are not given by LDS online.

              LDS FICHES (set of 6) LDS #6000786
              Survey of parish registers in Slovakia up to the time of civil registration. Provides details of church records that are held in Slovak archives. Index of villages is on fiche #6 and page references refer to different religions. Most of these church records are available on film via your LDS Family History Center.

              The Cisarik information is consistent with (though not identical) to the 1995 Slovak Census which showed the surnames meeting in two distinct areas. (Lower case for one surname, uppeer case for other one)

              HruÅ¡ov, okr. Veľký krtíš â€" 8×;
              VEĽKÝ KRTÍŠ, okr. VEĽKÝ KRTÍŠ â€" 78×;

              *******

              Čekovce, okr. Zvolen (od r. 1996 krupina) â€" 6×;
              DETVA-SÍDLISKO (obec DETVA), okr. ZVOLEN (od r. 1996 DETVA) â€" 112×;
              DETVA, okr. ZVOLEN (od r. 1996 DETVA) â€" 35×;
              KRIVEC II (obec HRIŇOVÁ), okr. ZVOLEN (od r. 1996 DETVA) â€" 1×;
              ZVOLEN, okr. ZVOLEN â€" 76×;

              These sources would suggest a village in south central Slovakia.
            • Julie Michutka
              Message 6 of 23 , Feb 3, 2011
                Hello Scott,

                Welcome to genealogy! Oh, you�re gonna get addicted!

                First of all, let me warn you that you must cancel that free two week
                subscription to Ancestry.com before the 14th day, or they will charge
                you for a full subscription, and then you have the big hassle of
                trying to get your money back.

                Secondly, when you say �New Jersey doesn't have publicly searchable
                marriage records either,� I think what you really mean is that they
                don�t have records online. New Jersey records are publicly accessible,
                you just can�t *see* them on the internet; you will have to order
                them. Please see http://www.state.nj.us/health/vital/gen.shtml for
                info and details.

                So, do I understand you correctly that there are three immigrants:
                your father, his mother, and his father? How old was your father when
                he arrived? Did your father have siblings? If so, were they born here
                or in Europe? It sounds like you don�t know if your father�s parents
                had any other relatives immigrate, but holler if I�m wrong about that.

                You also mention, �I am initially looking for some web resources to
                aid in my research.� There is tons of stuff on the internet�but not
                everything. At some point, you will almost certainly have to fill out
                a form, write an email, pick up the phone and make a call, and oh yes,
                probably spend a little bit of money (see New Jersey marriage records
                above).

                Organization will be important in getting the most information from
                any record you obtain and correlating it with other information that
                you have (or will have in the future). When I have a new ancestry to
                work on, and I�m trying to determine where in Europe someone came
                from, I immediately create a timeline for the immigrant. My timeline
                ends up looking like a chart, because I make the timeline vertical
                (rather than horizontal), and then add columns alongside it. You can
                do this with a spreadsheet (Excel, Numbers), with a table in a word
                processing program (Word, Pages), on with good ol� paper and pencil.
                I like Excel, myself.

                You can make the timeline for the family, or for each individual in
                the family. Making a timeline that tracks multiple individuals (a
                family) can become confusing; I prefer one for each individual, or
                each married couple. If you do a whole family in one timeline, you
                might want to use color-coding for the individuals.

                So, create your timeline going down the left side of your paper. At
                the top of the left side, write �Event�; this is your column heading.
                Write down every event that generated, or might have generated,
                documentation, even if you don�t yet have the document (because this
                timeline will help you decide what records to look for). A basic list
                is easy: birth, baptism, immigration (for some lucky folks, there�s a
                manifest from each end of the trip, so two events: emigration and
                immigration), each census record, naturalization papers or alien
                registration form, social security application, marriage, births of
                children, divorce, spouse�s death, death. Add in anything else you
                know: best man at someone�s wedding, godparent to someone�s child,
                draft registration (there�s one you can look up on Ancestry.com),
                moving from one place to another, purchase / sale of property,
                arrests, driver�s license (date of birth!), church membership.

                Now, parallel to that timeline column, add the following columns: date
                of the event; location of the event; document associated with the
                event (eg marriage license, marriage record); other documents to find;
                notes.

                Your �events� column was just that: the name of the event, with no
                date. �Anna Birkey m. Jan Stankovic� is an event. So is �1920 census.�

                �Date of event� can be general if you don�t have concrete info: �prob.
                bef. their son�s birth in Sept 1900� and �January 3, 1920� are equally
                acceptable entries.

                �Location of the event� again can be specific or general: �Europe,
                possibly Slovakia or present-day Ukraine�; �Toms River, New Jersey�

                �Document associated with the event� is probably self-explanatory:
                parish register entry, certificate, census record, newspaper clipping,
                obituary, child�s birth certificate. Be a little specific (John
                Pavlik obituary, Toms River Gazette, 3 April 1962) or have a second
                spreadsheet just for your documents (recommended) and then just enter
                the document name & number here (�doc #3, John Pavlik obit�). Trust
                me, you will want to keep track of where you found every bit of info,
                otherwise you will find yourself scratching your head and wondering
                �now just how did I know that?� by the time you have 6 documents.

                �Other documents to find�: say the obituary mentions that a man is a
                veteran; now you want to find his draft registration card on
                Ancestry.com. An alien registration form gives a date of immigration;
                note that you need to check that. So this column is sort of a
                �tickler� file, to remind you of places and info to search.

                �Notes� is anything; great place to write those questions that come to
                you as you look at a new document. Or look at an old document, in
                light of new info. Sometimes I note occupations here, especially if I
                have two guys with the same name in the same county (men named John
                Horvath in West Virginia�that was a pain!). Or observations on census
                records: �boarder in a rooming house with other Slovaks; one has same
                surname.�

                Anyway, that�s what I create for a timeline, and I return to it again
                and again and again as I research the individual or family, adding
                things, correcting things, tweaking. A recent one had three different
                birthdates and two different surnames for a woman (different
                documents, different informant for each document => different info!).
                I put each in my timeline, and as I accumulated more info, I was able
                to determine which one was correct, and see why the others were
                wrong. I did not remove the incorrect ones, but made the entry with
                the correct date/name bold print. When the problem is solved or the
                project is done, it is easy to then make a nice neat timeline as a
                family record, or use your working timeline as the outline of a
                narrative or report.

                I would encourage you to look at local histories and parish histories
                for the area(s) where your family settled. Many of these can be found
                online. Google the location name plus the word �history.� Work on the
                family�s FAN club: Friends Associates and Neighbors. As someone else
                mentioned in a reply to you, people often settled with or near others
                from the same place.

                You don�t mention whether the census records indicate that anyone in
                the family was naturalized. You likely can find either naturalization
                papers or alien registration forms. These should give you the info
                you�re looking for. So should a social security application (SS-5),
                which can be ordered for any deceased individual. You have some good
                options�they won�t necessarily be free and accessible on the internet,
                but they�re out there.

                Hope this helps.

                Julie Michutka
                jmm@...

                On Feb 2, 2011, at 10:55 PM, Scott Stankowitz wrote:

                > Hello,
                >
                > I'm new to the group and genealogy research in general. I opted for
                > a free
                > two week subscription to ancestry.com, and have been trying to track
                > my
                > father's family, who arrived in the US from Austria-Hungary in the
                > early
                > 1900's.

              • helene cincebeaux
                Message 7 of 23 , Feb 3, 2011
                  I have 3 listings in the Slovak Pride data base - one is for Stankowicz and then
                  two individuals listing Stankovic. The surname of one is Stankovitz.

                  Contact me directly for more info helenezx@...

                  helene

                  ________________________________
                  >>> My father's father's surname is STANKOWITZ, but I have also
                  seen STANKOVICH. My father's mother's surname was BURKEY, but I have also seen
                  BERKY. <<<

                  According to genealogist Juraj Cisarik, there are (only) two villages where
                  Stankovic and Berky surnames collide.

                  OLD NAMES of the village:
                  1808 Kotmán-Lehota, Kotmanowá Lhota, 1863 Kotmánlehota, 1873â€"1882,
                  1898â€"1902 Kotmanlehota, 1888â€"1895 Kottmanlehota, 1907â€"1913 Kotmány,
                  1920â€"1948 Kotmanová, 1948â€"1990 DobroÄ�ská Lehota, 1990â€" Kotmanová.
[...]

                  VEĽKÃ� KRTÃ�Å , okr. VEĽKÃ� KRTÃ�Å  â€" 78×;

                  *******

                  ÄŒekovce, okr. Zvolen (od r. 1996 krupina) â€" 6×;
                  DETVA-SÃ�DLISKO (obec DETVA), okr. ZVOLEN (od r. 1996 DETVA) â€" 112×;
                  DETVA, okr. ZVOLEN (od r. 1996 DETVA) â€" 35×;
                  KRIVEC II (obec HRIŇOVÃ�), okr. ZVOLEN (od r. 1996 DETVA) â€" 1×;

                  Message 8 of 23 , Feb 3, 2011
                    Sorry, gang, somehow my post (which I had written in a word processor
                    and then cut & paste into email) came through w/o apostrophes or quote
                    marks and in some cases lost spaces between words. If anyone finds it
                    confusing because of that, let me know and I will re-post.

                    Julie
                    On Feb 3, 2011, at 10:14 AM, Julie Michutka wrote:

                    > Hello Scott,
                    >
                    > Welcome to genealogy! Oh, you’re gonna get addicted!
                    >
                    > First of all, let me warn you that you must cancel that free two week
                    > subscription to Ancestry.com before the 14th day, or they will charge
                    > you for a full subscription, and then you have the big hassle of
                    > trying to get your money back.
                  • Cheryl Moser
                    Message 9 of 23 , Feb 3, 2011
                      Scott,

                      I like the Steve Morse site http://stevemorse.org/ to search for immigration records. You can search by "sounds like". I prefer this site over Ellis Island (seems more user friendly to me). You can choose which parameters you want to search by being very specific or vague.

                      Good luck,
                      Cheryl

                      I'm new to the group and genealogy research in general. I opted for a free
                      two week subscription to ancestry.com, and have been trying to track my
                      father's family, who arrived in the US from Austria-Hungary in the early
                      1900's. I'd like to say they arrived in 1904, but one census record
                      indicates 1904, another says 1912, so there is quite a bit of guesswork
                      involved. Add to that the fact that their surnames are listed differently in
                      each census, and for all I know their names were different when they
                      emigrated. I also only have his mother's maiden name, and New Jersey doesn't
                      have publicly searchable marriage records either.

                      My father always claimed he was from Russia, and was never very close to his
                      family. The census records variously say that his parents' parents were from
                      Austria, Czechoslovakia, and Slovakia; and I haven't yet managed to track
                      down any immigration records for his side either. It is unfortunate that I
                      cannot yet determine my family's exact origins, I was initially thinking
                      Belarus actually...then Ruthenia...but they were probably from the area of
                      the country in present day Slovakia near Poland and Ukraine. But that's just
                      my gut talking, i am looking for some proof...of course they could have
                      departed from anywhere. He belonged to an Eastern Orthodox church growing
                      up, maybe that will narrow things down...

                      I am initially looking for some web resources to aid in my research, and
                      would appreciate any insight on what is out there beyond ancestry.com, and
                      any ideas how to go about finding any useful records and shedding some light
                      on this mystery. Thanks in advance for your help and support.

                      Scott

                    • Michael Mojher
                      Message 10 of 23 , Feb 3, 2011
                        Scott,
                        I did a Ancestry.com search with Stankovwitz. There were 144 listings for immigrants. Only one said they were from Slovakia. An Iwan who arrived 12 JUL 1913. The vast majority were Russian, Lithuanian and Polish.
                        What are the given names of your great-grandfather and grandmother?

                        On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 11:07 PM, Elaine <mailto:epowell%40earthlink.net> wrote:

                        > Scott, have you tried searching on the Ellis Island database? Do you have
                        > any indication of a village name?
                        >
                        > Even if there are multiple names, it will help the group to know what those
                        > are.
                        >
                        > Others may have more initial thoughts also.
                        >
                        > Elaine P
                        >

                        > Sent from my iPhone
                        >
                        > On Feb 2, 2011, at 9:55 PM, Scott Stankowitz <mailto:scott.stankowitz%40gmail.com>
                        > wrote:
                        >
                        > > Hello,
                        > >
                        > > I'm new to the group and genealogy research in general. I opted for a
                        > free
                        > > two week subscription to ancestry.com, and have been trying to track my
                        > > father's family, who arrived in the US from Austria-Hungary in the early
                        > > 1900's. I'd like to say they arrived in 1904, but one census record
                        > > indicates 1904, another says 1912, so there is quite a bit of guesswork
                        > > involved. Add to that the fact that their surnames are listed differently
                        > in
                        > > each census, and for all I know their names were different when they
                        > > emigrated. I also only have his mother's maiden name, and New Jersey
                        > doesn't
                        > > have publicly searchable marriage records either.
                        > >
                        > > My father always claimed he was from Russia, and was never very close to
                        > his
                        > > family. The census records variously say that his parents' parents were
                        > from
                        > > Austria, Czechoslovakia, and Slovakia; and I haven't yet managed to track
                        > > down any immigration records for his side either. It is unfortunate that
                        > > cannot yet determine my family's exact origins, I was initially thinking
                        > > Belarus actually...then Ruthenia...but they were probably from the area
                        > of
                        > > the country in present day Slovakia near Poland and Ukraine. But that's
                        > just
                        > > my gut talking, i am looking for some proof...of course they could have
                        > > departed from anywhere. He belonged to an Eastern Orthodox church growing
                        > > up, maybe that will narrow things down...
                        > >
                        > > I am initially looking for some web resources to aid in my research, and
                        > > would appreciate any insight on what is out there beyond ancestry.com,
                        > and
                        > > any ideas how to go about finding any useful records and shedding some
                        > light
                        > > on this mystery. Thanks in advance for your help and support.
                        > >
                        > > Scott

                      • Michael Mojher
                        Message 11 of 23 , Feb 3, 2011
                          Scott,
                          I used Steve Morse’s search for Stankowitz. There were 69 listings. Without the given name the search stopped there. There were about the same number for Burkey. Strangely almost half had the given name Alfred.

                          Message 12 of 23 , Feb 3, 2011
                            >>> I used Steve Morse’s search for Stankowitz. There were 69 listings. Without the given name the search stopped there. There were about the same number for Burkey. <<<

                            Were ANY from present-day Slovakia?
                          • Bernardine Weigand
                            Message 13 of 23 , Feb 3, 2011
                              Scott, my daughter's friend's family spells their name STANKIEWICZ.
                              Bernardine

                            • Bernardine Weigand
                              Message 14 of 23 , Feb 3, 2011
                                On Feb 2, 2011, at 11:16 PM, Scott Stankowitz wrote:
                                Scott, I just found many STANKIEWICZ on the Ellis Island site.
                                Bernardine

                              • Michael Mojher
                                Message 15 of 23 , Feb 3, 2011
                                  One. Iwan Stankowitz arrived 12 JUL 1913

                                  Message 16 of 23 , Feb 3, 2011
                                    Thanks everyone for the great tips and offers to help. As mentioned, I am
                                    not even sure what country my great grandparents were from, let alone town
                                    or village. My father always said he was Russian and Italian; but both sets
                                    of his grandparents appear to be Austia-Hungarian/Czech/Austrian as reported
                                    by the various sources. The country changed a lot during those times, of
                                    course.

                                    I know I said, "Slovakian", but I cannot put my fingers on any official
                                    sources for that. For those of you who asked, here is the additional info on
                                    my great grandparents (as near as I can get at this point). Thanks again for
                                    all the advice and help.

                                    John Stankowitz b. 6 May 1879
                                    Arrival acc'd to 1920 census: 1904
                                    Arrival acc'd to 1930 census: 1903

                                    Mary ? b. abt 1888
                                    Arrival accd to 1920 census: 1907
                                    Arrival accd to 1930 census: 1905

                                    married abt 1911

                                    In the 1930 census, they both list their birthplaces as Czechoslovakia,
                                    their parents' birthplaces as Austria, and language spoken as Slovak. In
                                    1920, they listed their birthplaces as Austria.

                                    Michael Burkey b. abt 1875 Hungary
                                    Arrival accd to 1920 census: 1904
                                    Arrival accd to 1930 census: 1912

                                    Mary ? b. abt 1876 Austria
                                    Arrival accd to 1920 census: 1913

                                    Married about 1895 or 1896

                                    In 1920, they both list their birthplace as Austria, their fathers'
                                    birthplaces as Hungary, and their mothers' birthplaces as Austria. Their
                                    spoken language is Hungarian (actually specified as "magyar"). In 1930, they
                                    list their birthplaces and both parents' birthplaces as Hungary.

                                    On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 2:06 PM, Michael Mojher <mgmojher@...> wrote:

                                    > One. Iwan Stankowitz arrived 12 JUL 1913

                                  • Scott Stankowitz
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Feb 3, 2011
                                      Sorry, someone asked where they lived. As far as I know, they all lived in
                                      Perth Amboy, NJ. Not sure if that was the first place they lived, but I
                                      haven't found any other residences yet.