Re: [S-R] New to group and genealogy

  • Elaine
    Message 1 of 23 , Feb 2, 2011
      Scott, have you tried searching on the Ellis Island database? Do you have any indication of a village name?

      Even if there are multiple names, it will help the group to know what those are.

      Others may have more initial thoughts also.

      Elaine P

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Feb 2, 2011, at 9:55 PM, Scott Stankowitz <scott.stankowitz@...> wrote:

      > Hello,
      >
      > I'm new to the group and genealogy research in general. I opted for a free
      > two week subscription to ancestry.com, and have been trying to track my
      > father's family, who arrived in the US from Austria-Hungary in the early
      > 1900's. I'd like to say they arrived in 1904, but one census record
      > indicates 1904, another says 1912, so there is quite a bit of guesswork
      > involved. Add to that the fact that their surnames are listed differently in
      > each census, and for all I know their names were different when they
      > emigrated. I also only have his mother's maiden name, and New Jersey doesn't
      > have publicly searchable marriage records either.
      >
      > My father always claimed he was from Russia, and was never very close to his
      > family. The census records variously say that his parents' parents were from
      > Austria, Czechoslovakia, and Slovakia; and I haven't yet managed to track
      > down any immigration records for his side either. It is unfortunate that I
      > cannot yet determine my family's exact origins, I was initially thinking
      > Belarus actually...then Ruthenia...but they were probably from the area of
      > the country in present day Slovakia near Poland and Ukraine. But that's just
      > my gut talking, i am looking for some proof...of course they could have
      > departed from anywhere. He belonged to an Eastern Orthodox church growing
      > up, maybe that will narrow things down...
      >
      > I am initially looking for some web resources to aid in my research, and
      > would appreciate any insight on what is out there beyond ancestry.com, and
      > any ideas how to go about finding any useful records and shedding some light
      > on this mystery. Thanks in advance for your help and support.
      >
      > Scott

    • Scott Stankowitz
      Message 2 of 23 , Feb 2, 2011
        Thanks Elaine. My father's father's surname is STANKOWITZ, but I have also
        seen STANKOVICH. My father's mother's surname was BURKEY, but I have also
        seen BERKY.

      • Scott
        Message 3 of 23 , Feb 2, 2011
          Scott,

          If you know the Eastern Orthodox church your father attended, that might be a start. There should be a church history which might be helpful. Many times our ancestors settled in the same location (and started churches as well). Sometimes a whole street became a mini village from the homeland. There was a lot more back and forth travel than I expected. If you can find a few other surnames from the church or neighborhood where your father grew up, it might be helpful as well. In addition to any church birth records, I'd look at census records for his neighborhood and track some of those names through Ellis Island, etc. Hopefully it should help you find "your" relatives!

          The typical story is that someone from the village goes to work in the USA, and word gets back to the village (and nearby villages). Soon, there are a bunch traveling there for work and they find a network which can help them secure work, lodging (boarders, etc), church, etc.

          If you're really lucky the current priest there will be well versed in the history of the church, and maybe there are some descendants of the original immigrants still attending. There may be similar stories to yours and village names recalled (or documented in church records) to help you locate yours!

          Just my 2 cents. I hope it helps.

          --Scott Miskiv

          P.S. I was told we were Russian too, but that's a common mis-identification for Rusyns!

          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Scott Stankowitz <scott.stankowitz@...> wrote:

          > Thanks Elaine. My father's father's surname is STANKOWITZ, but I have also
          > seen STANKOVICH. My father's mother's surname was BURKEY, but I have also
          > seen BERKY.
          >
          > On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 11:07 PM, Elaine <epowell@...> wrote:
          >
          > > Scott, have you tried searching on the Ellis Island database? Do you have
          > > any indication of a village name?
          > >
          > > Even if there are multiple names, it will help the group to know what those
          > > are.
          > >
          > > Others may have more initial thoughts also.
          > >
          > > Elaine P
          > >

          > > Sent from my iPhone
          > >
          > > On Feb 2, 2011, at 9:55 PM, Scott Stankowitz <scott.stankowitz@...>
          > > wrote:
          > >
          > > > Hello,
          > > >
          > > > I'm new to the group and genealogy research in general. I opted for a
          > > free
          > > > two week subscription to ancestry.com, and have been trying to track my
          > > > father's family, who arrived in the US from Austria-Hungary in the early
          > > > 1900's. I'd like to say they arrived in 1904, but one census record
          > > > indicates 1904, another says 1912, so there is quite a bit of guesswork
          > > > involved. Add to that the fact that their surnames are listed differently
          > > in
          > > > each census, and for all I know their names were different when they
          > > > emigrated. I also only have his mother's maiden name, and New Jersey
          > > doesn't
          > > > have publicly searchable marriage records either.
          > > >
          > > > My father always claimed he was from Russia, and was never very close to
          > > his
          > > > family. The census records variously say that his parents' parents were
          > > from
          > > > Austria, Czechoslovakia, and Slovakia; and I haven't yet managed to track
          > > > down any immigration records for his side either. It is unfortunate that
          > > > cannot yet determine my family's exact origins, I was initially thinking
          > > > Belarus actually...then Ruthenia...but they were probably from the area
          > > of
          > > > the country in present day Slovakia near Poland and Ukraine. But that's
          > > just
          > > > my gut talking, i am looking for some proof...of course they could have
          > > > departed from anywhere. He belonged to an Eastern Orthodox church growing
          > > > up, maybe that will narrow things down...
          > > >
          > > > I am initially looking for some web resources to aid in my research, and
          > > > would appreciate any insight on what is out there beyond ancestry.com,
          > > and
          > > > any ideas how to go about finding any useful records and shedding some
          > > light
          > > > on this mystery. Thanks in advance for your help and support.
          > > >
          > > > Scott

        • helene cincebeaux
          Message 4 of 23 , Feb 3, 2011
            Hi Scott - noted your surname. Did your ancestors come from Nizny or Vsyne
            Orlik? I am searching for a Miskivski family from there for someone coming on my
            trip and i was struck by the similarity in the name.

            helene

            ________________________________

          • lkocik@comcast.net
            Message 5 of 23 , Feb 3, 2011
              Scott

               I don't know about  Orthadox churches, but Roman Catholic churches   record all the sacraments receiveded by it's members.

               I wrote to the church that my ancestors attended  and they sent me records going back to 1901.I also wrote to the Catholic church that my ancestors attended before 1901 and they were incredible rude; they basically couldn't be bothered.   In any case, I would think it's worth a try.
> [...]

              > > > cannot yet determine my family's exact origins, I was initially thinking
              > > > Belarus actually...then Ruthenia...but they were probably from the area
              > > of
              > > > the country in present day Slovakia near Poland and Ukraine. But that's
              > > just
              > > > my gut talking, i am looking for some proof...of course they could have
              > > > departed from anywhere. He belonged to an Eastern Orthodox church growing
              > > > up, maybe that will narrow things down...
              > > >
              > > > I am initially looking for some web resources to aid in my research, and
              > > > would appreciate any insight on what is out there beyond ancestry.com,
              > > and
              > > > any ideas how to go about finding any useful records and shedding some
              > > light
              > > > on this mystery. Thanks in advance for your help and support.

            • Carl
              Message 6 of 23 , Feb 3, 2011
                Stan,
                More information is needed here. First names, birth dates including years, location of residency in the US especially the first location, all would help.
                CK

              • John
                Message 7 of 23 , Feb 3, 2011
                  >>> My father's mother's surname was BURKEY, but I have also
                  seen BERKY. <<<

                  For Slovakia, Berky(ova) computes. The other possible spellings do not. Stankovic(ova) works too.

                  If nothing else works to define the village of origin, it is quite possible to cross-reference the villages where these surnames existed in the 1995 Slovak census. Then, you could look at the relevant church records for each village. If the villages are in eastern Slovakia, as you suspect, the GC church records are online.
                • Mike Belan
                  Message 8 of 23 , Feb 3, 2011
                    Hi john

                    Do you have Stanko in your family line. Are they from the Lubenik area of
                    Slovakia. My Grandmother was a Stanko.

                    Mike

                    >>> My father's mother's surname was BURKEY, but I have also
                    seen BERKY. <<<

                    For Slovakia, Berky(ova) computes. The other possible spellings do not.
                    Stankovic(ova) works too.

                    If nothing else works to define the village of origin, it is quite possible
                    to cross-reference the villages where these surnames existed in the 1995
                    Slovak census. Then, you could look at the relevant church records for each
                    village. If the villages are in eastern Slovakia, as you suspect, the GC
                    church records are online.

                  • Elaine Summerhill
                    Message 9 of 23 , Feb 3, 2011
                      I have a Mary Stanka, daughter of Michael Stanko. They were from the Nitra area
                      in Slovakia.

                      ________________________________

                      Message 10 of 23 , Feb 3, 2011
                        >>> My father's father's surname is STANKOWITZ, but I have also
                        seen STANKOVICH. My father's mother's surname was BURKEY, but I have also seen BERKY. <<<

                        According to genealogist Juraj Cisarik, there are (only) two villages where Stankovic and Berky surnames collide.

                        OLD NAMES of the village:
                        1808 Kotmán-Lehota, Kotmanowá Lhota, 1863 Kotmánlehota, 1873â€"1882, 1898â€"1902 Kotmanlehota, 1888â€"1895 Kottmanlehota, 1907â€"1913 Kotmány, 1920â€"1948 Kotmanová, 1948â€"1990 Dobročská Lehota, 1990â€" Kotmanová. Located southeast of Detva in south central Slovakia.

                        OLD NAMES of the village:
                        1808 FelsÅ`-Mladonya, Horní Mladonice, 1863â€"1888 FelsÅ`mladonya, 1892â€"1913 FelsÅ`legénd, 1920 Horné Mladunice, [Horné] Mladonice, 1927â€" Horné Mladonice. Located east of Krupina in south central Slovakia.

                        You may want to research GC church records covering these two villages. The film reference numbers are not given by LDS online.

                        LDS FICHES (set of 6) LDS #6000786
                        Survey of parish registers in Slovakia up to the time of civil registration. Provides details of church records that are held in Slovak archives. Index of villages is on fiche #6 and page references refer to different religions. Most of these church records are available on film via your LDS Family History Center.

                        The Cisarik information is consistent with (though not identical) to the 1995 Slovak Census which showed the surnames meeting in two distinct areas. (Lower case for one surname, uppeer case for other one)

                        HruÅ¡ov, okr. Veľký krtíš â€" 8×;
                        VEĽKÝ KRTÍŠ, okr. VEĽKÝ KRTÍŠ â€" 78×;

                        *******

                        Čekovce, okr. Zvolen (od r. 1996 krupina) â€" 6×;
                        DETVA-SÍDLISKO (obec DETVA), okr. ZVOLEN (od r. 1996 DETVA) â€" 112×;
                        DETVA, okr. ZVOLEN (od r. 1996 DETVA) â€" 35×;
                        KRIVEC II (obec HRIŇOVÁ), okr. ZVOLEN (od r. 1996 DETVA) â€" 1×;
                        ZVOLEN, okr. ZVOLEN â€" 76×;

                        These sources would suggest a village in south central Slovakia.
                      • Julie Michutka
                        Message 11 of 23 , Feb 3, 2011
                          Hello Scott,

                          Welcome to genealogy! Oh, you�re gonna get addicted!

                          First of all, let me warn you that you must cancel that free two week
                          subscription to Ancestry.com before the 14th day, or they will charge
                          you for a full subscription, and then you have the big hassle of
                          trying to get your money back.

                          Secondly, when you say �New Jersey doesn't have publicly searchable
                          marriage records either,� I think what you really mean is that they
                          don�t have records online. New Jersey records are publicly accessible,
                          you just can�t *see* them on the internet; you will have to order
                          them. Please see http://www.state.nj.us/health/vital/gen.shtml for
                          info and details.

                          So, do I understand you correctly that there are three immigrants:
                          your father, his mother, and his father? How old was your father when
                          he arrived? Did your father have siblings? If so, were they born here
                          or in Europe? It sounds like you don�t know if your father�s parents
                          had any other relatives immigrate, but holler if I�m wrong about that.

                          You also mention, �I am initially looking for some web resources to
                          aid in my research.� There is tons of stuff on the internet�but not
                          everything. At some point, you will almost certainly have to fill out
                          a form, write an email, pick up the phone and make a call, and oh yes,
                          probably spend a little bit of money (see New Jersey marriage records
                          above).

                          Organization will be important in getting the most information from
                          any record you obtain and correlating it with other information that
                          you have (or will have in the future). When I have a new ancestry to
                          work on, and I�m trying to determine where in Europe someone came
                          from, I immediately create a timeline for the immigrant. My timeline
                          ends up looking like a chart, because I make the timeline vertical
                          (rather than horizontal), and then add columns alongside it. You can
                          do this with a spreadsheet (Excel, Numbers), with a table in a word
                          processing program (Word, Pages), on with good ol� paper and pencil.
                          I like Excel, myself.

                          You can make the timeline for the family, or for each individual in
                          the family. Making a timeline that tracks multiple individuals (a
                          family) can become confusing; I prefer one for each individual, or
                          each married couple. If you do a whole family in one timeline, you
                          might want to use color-coding for the individuals.

                          So, create your timeline going down the left side of your paper. At
                          the top of the left side, write �Event�; this is your column heading.
                          Write down every event that generated, or might have generated,
                          documentation, even if you don�t yet have the document (because this
                          timeline will help you decide what records to look for). A basic list
                          is easy: birth, baptism, immigration (for some lucky folks, there�s a
                          manifest from each end of the trip, so two events: emigration and
                          immigration), each census record, naturalization papers or alien
                          registration form, social security application, marriage, births of
                          children, divorce, spouse�s death, death. Add in anything else you
                          know: best man at someone�s wedding, godparent to someone�s child,
                          draft registration (there�s one you can look up on Ancestry.com),
                          moving from one place to another, purchase / sale of property,
                          arrests, driver�s license (date of birth!), church membership.

                          Now, parallel to that timeline column, add the following columns: date
                          of the event; location of the event; document associated with the
                          event (eg marriage license, marriage record); other documents to find;
                          notes.

                          Your �events� column was just that: the name of the event, with no
                          date. �Anna Birkey m. Jan Stankovic� is an event. So is �1920 census.�

                          �Date of event� can be general if you don�t have concrete info: �prob.
                          bef. their son�s birth in Sept 1900� and �January 3, 1920� are equally
                          acceptable entries.

                          �Location of the event� again can be specific or general: �Europe,
                          possibly Slovakia or present-day Ukraine�; �Toms River, New Jersey�

                          �Document associated with the event� is probably self-explanatory:
                          parish register entry, certificate, census record, newspaper clipping,
                          obituary, child�s birth certificate. Be a little specific (John
                          Pavlik obituary, Toms River Gazette, 3 April 1962) or have a second
                          spreadsheet just for your documents (recommended) and then just enter
                          the document name & number here (�doc #3, John Pavlik obit�). Trust
                          me, you will want to keep track of where you found every bit of info,
                          otherwise you will find yourself scratching your head and wondering
                          �now just how did I know that?� by the time you have 6 documents.

                          �Other documents to find�: say the obituary mentions that a man is a
                          veteran; now you want to find his draft registration card on
                          Ancestry.com. An alien registration form gives a date of immigration;
                          note that you need to check that. So this column is sort of a
                          �tickler� file, to remind you of places and info to search.

                          �Notes� is anything; great place to write those questions that come to
                          you as you look at a new document. Or look at an old document, in
                          light of new info. Sometimes I note occupations here, especially if I
                          have two guys with the same name in the same county (men named John
                          Horvath in West Virginia�that was a pain!). Or observations on census
                          records: �boarder in a rooming house with other Slovaks; one has same
                          surname.�

                          Anyway, that�s what I create for a timeline, and I return to it again
                          and again and again as I research the individual or family, adding
                          things, correcting things, tweaking. A recent one had three different
                          birthdates and two different surnames for a woman (different
                          documents, different informant for each document => different info!).
                          I put each in my timeline, and as I accumulated more info, I was able
                          to determine which one was correct, and see why the others were
                          wrong. I did not remove the incorrect ones, but made the entry with
                          the correct date/name bold print. When the problem is solved or the
                          project is done, it is easy to then make a nice neat timeline as a
                          family record, or use your working timeline as the outline of a
                          narrative or report.

                          I would encourage you to look at local histories and parish histories
                          for the area(s) where your family settled. Many of these can be found
                          online. Google the location name plus the word �history.� Work on the
                          family�s FAN club: Friends Associates and Neighbors. As someone else
                          mentioned in a reply to you, people often settled with or near others
                          from the same place.

                          You don�t mention whether the census records indicate that anyone in
                          the family was naturalized. You likely can find either naturalization
                          papers or alien registration forms. These should give you the info
                          you�re looking for. So should a social security application (SS-5),
                          which can be ordered for any deceased individual. You have some good
                          options�they won�t necessarily be free and accessible on the internet,
                          but they�re out there.

                          Hope this helps.

                          Julie Michutka
                          jmm@...

                          On Feb 2, 2011, at 10:55 PM, Scott Stankowitz wrote:

                          > Hello,
                          >
                          > I'm new to the group and genealogy research in general. I opted for
                          > a free
                          > two week subscription to ancestry.com, and have been trying to track
                          > my
                          > father's family, who arrived in the US from Austria-Hungary in the
                          > early
                          > 1900's.

                        • helene cincebeaux
                          Message 12 of 23 , Feb 3, 2011
                            I have 3 listings in the Slovak Pride data base - one is for Stankowicz and then
                            two individuals listing Stankovic. The surname of one is Stankovitz.

                            Contact me directly for more info helenezx@...

                            helene

                            ________________________________
                            >>> My father's father's surname is STANKOWITZ, but I have also
                            seen STANKOVICH. My father's mother's surname was BURKEY, but I have also seen
                            BERKY. <<<

                            According to genealogist Juraj Cisarik, there are (only) two villages where
                            Stankovic and Berky surnames collide.

                            OLD NAMES of the village:
                            1808 Kotmán-Lehota, Kotmanowá Lhota, 1863 Kotmánlehota, 1873â€"1882,
                            1898â€"1902 Kotmanlehota, 1888â€"1895 Kottmanlehota, 1907â€"1913 Kotmány,
                            1920â€"1948 Kotmanová, 1948â€"1990 DobroÄ�ská Lehota, 1990â€" Kotmanová.
[...]

                            VEĽKÃ� KRTÃ�Å , okr. VEĽKÃ� KRTÃ�Å  â€" 78×;

                            *******

                            ÄŒekovce, okr. Zvolen (od r. 1996 krupina) â€" 6×;
                            DETVA-SÃ�DLISKO (obec DETVA), okr. ZVOLEN (od r. 1996 DETVA) â€" 112×;
                            DETVA, okr. ZVOLEN (od r. 1996 DETVA) â€" 35×;
                            KRIVEC II (obec HRIŇOVÃ�), okr. ZVOLEN (od r. 1996 DETVA) â€" 1×;

                            Message 13 of 23 , Feb 3, 2011
                              Sorry, gang, somehow my post (which I had written in a word processor
                              and then cut & paste into email) came through w/o apostrophes or quote
                              marks and in some cases lost spaces between words. If anyone finds it
                              confusing because of that, let me know and I will re-post.

                              Julie
                              On Feb 3, 2011, at 10:14 AM, Julie Michutka wrote:

                              > Hello Scott,
                              >
                              > Welcome to genealogy! Oh, you’re gonna get addicted!
                              >
                              > First of all, let me warn you that you must cancel that free two week
                              > subscription to Ancestry.com before the 14th day, or they will charge
                              > you for a full subscription, and then you have the big hassle of
                              > trying to get your money back.
                            • Cheryl Moser
                              Message 14 of 23 , Feb 3, 2011
                                Scott,

                                I like the Steve Morse site http://stevemorse.org/ to search for immigration records. You can search by "sounds like". I prefer this site over Ellis Island (seems more user friendly to me). You can choose which parameters you want to search by being very specific or vague.

                                Good luck,
                                Cheryl

                                Message 15 of 23 , Feb 3, 2011
                                  Scott,
                                  I did a Ancestry.com search with Stankovwitz. There were 144 listings for immigrants. Only one said they were from Slovakia. An Iwan who arrived 12 JUL 1913. The vast majority were Russian, Lithuanian and Polish.
                                  What are the given names of your great-grandfather and grandmother?

                                  On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 11:07 PM, Elaine <mailto:epowell%40earthlink.net> wrote:

                                  > Scott, have you tried searching on the Ellis Island database? Do you have
                                  > any indication of a village name?
                                  >
                                  > Even if there are multiple names, it will help the group to know what those
                                  > are.
                                  >
                                  > Others may have more initial thoughts also.
                                  >
                                  > Elaine P
                                  >

                                  > Sent from my iPhone
                                  >
                                  > On Feb 2, 2011, at 9:55 PM, Scott Stankowitz <mailto:scott.stankowitz%40gmail.com>
                                  > wrote:
                                  >
                                  > > Hello,
                                  > >
                                  > > I'm new to the group and genealogy research in general. I opted for a
                                  > free
                                  > > two week subscription to ancestry.com, and have been trying to track my
                                  > > father's family, who arrived in the US from Austria-Hungary in the early
                                  > > 1900's. I'd like to say they arrived in 1904, but one census record
                                  > > indicates 1904, another says 1912, so there is quite a bit of guesswork
                                  > > involved. Add to that the fact that their surnames are listed differently
                                  > in
                                  > > each census, and for all I know their names were different when they
                                  > > emigrated. I also only have his mother's maiden name, and New Jersey
                                  > doesn't
                                  > > have publicly searchable marriage records either.
                                  > >
                                  > > My father always claimed he was from Russia, and was never very close to
                                  > his
                                  > > family. The census records variously say that his parents' parents were
                                  > from
                                  > > Austria, Czechoslovakia, and Slovakia; and I haven't yet managed to track
                                  > > down any immigration records for his side either. It is unfortunate that
                                  > > cannot yet determine my family's exact origins, I was initially thinking
                                  > > Belarus actually...then Ruthenia...but they were probably from the area
                                  > of
                                  > > the country in present day Slovakia near Poland and Ukraine. But that's
                                  > just
                                  > > my gut talking, i am looking for some proof...of course they could have
                                  > > departed from anywhere. He belonged to an Eastern Orthodox church growing
                                  > > up, maybe that will narrow things down...
                                  > >
                                  > > I am initially looking for some web resources to aid in my research, and
                                  > > would appreciate any insight on what is out there beyond ancestry.com,
                                  > and
                                  > > any ideas how to go about finding any useful records and shedding some
                                  > light
                                  > > on this mystery. Thanks in advance for your help and support.
                                  > >
                                  > > Scott

                                • Michael Mojher
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Feb 3, 2011
                                    Scott,
                                    I used Steve Morse’s search for Stankowitz. There were 69 listings. Without the given name the search stopped there. There were about the same number for Burkey. Strangely almost half had the given name Alfred.

                                    Message 17 of 23 , Feb 3, 2011
                                      >>> I used Steve Morse’s search for Stankowitz. There were 69 listings. Without the given name the search stopped there. There were about the same number for Burkey. <<<

                                      Were ANY from present-day Slovakia?
                                    • Bernardine Weigand
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Feb 3, 2011
                                        Scott, my daughter's friend's family spells their name STANKIEWICZ.
                                        Bernardine

                                      • Bernardine Weigand
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Feb 3, 2011
                                          On Feb 2, 2011, at 11:16 PM, Scott Stankowitz wrote:
                                          Scott, I just found many STANKIEWICZ on the Ellis Island site.
                                          Bernardine

                                        • Michael Mojher
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Feb 3, 2011
                                            One. Iwan Stankowitz arrived 12 JUL 1913

                                            Message 21 of 23 , Feb 3, 2011
                                              Thanks everyone for the great tips and offers to help. As mentioned, I am
                                              not even sure what country my great grandparents were from, let alone town
                                              or village. My father always said he was Russian and Italian; but both sets
                                              of his grandparents appear to be Austia-Hungarian/Czech/Austrian as reported
                                              by the various sources. The country changed a lot during those times, of
                                              course.

                                              I know I said, "Slovakian", but I cannot put my fingers on any official
                                              sources for that. For those of you who asked, here is the additional info on
                                              my great grandparents (as near as I can get at this point). Thanks again for
                                              all the advice and help.

                                              John Stankowitz b. 6 May 1879
                                              Arrival acc'd to 1920 census: 1904
                                              Arrival acc'd to 1930 census: 1903

                                              Mary ? b. abt 1888
                                              Arrival accd to 1920 census: 1907
                                              Arrival accd to 1930 census: 1905

                                              married abt 1911

                                              In the 1930 census, they both list their birthplaces as Czechoslovakia,
                                              their parents' birthplaces as Austria, and language spoken as Slovak. In
                                              1920, they listed their birthplaces as Austria.

                                              Michael Burkey b. abt 1875 Hungary
                                              Arrival accd to 1920 census: 1904
                                              Arrival accd to 1930 census: 1912

                                              Mary ? b. abt 1876 Austria
                                              Arrival accd to 1920 census: 1913

                                              Married about 1895 or 1896

                                              In 1920, they both list their birthplace as Austria, their fathers'
                                              birthplaces as Hungary, and their mothers' birthplaces as Austria. Their
                                              spoken language is Hungarian (actually specified as "magyar"). In 1930, they
                                              list their birthplaces and both parents' birthplaces as Hungary.

                                              Message 22 of 23 , Feb 3, 2011
                                                Sorry, someone asked where they lived. As far as I know, they all lived in
                                                Perth Amboy, NJ. Not sure if that was the first place they lived, but I
                                                haven't found any other residences yet.