New to group and genealogy

  • Scott Stankowitz
    Message 1 of 23 , Feb 2, 2011
      Hello,

      I'm new to the group and genealogy research in general. I opted for a free
      two week subscription to ancestry.com, and have been trying to track my
      father's family, who arrived in the US from Austria-Hungary in the early
      1900's. I'd like to say they arrived in 1904, but one census record
      indicates 1904, another says 1912, so there is quite a bit of guesswork
      involved. Add to that the fact that their surnames are listed differently in
      each census, and for all I know their names were different when they
      emigrated. I also only have his mother's maiden name, and New Jersey doesn't
      have publicly searchable marriage records either.

      My father always claimed he was from Russia, and was never very close to his
      family. The census records variously say that his parents' parents were from
      Austria, Czechoslovakia, and Slovakia; and I haven't yet managed to track
      down any immigration records for his side either. It is unfortunate that I
      cannot yet determine my family's exact origins, I was initially thinking
      Belarus actually...then Ruthenia...but they were probably from the area of
      the country in present day Slovakia near Poland and Ukraine. But that's just
      my gut talking, i am looking for some proof...of course they could have
      departed from anywhere. He belonged to an Eastern Orthodox church growing
      up, maybe that will narrow things down...

      I am initially looking for some web resources to aid in my research, and
      would appreciate any insight on what is out there beyond ancestry.com, and
      any ideas how to go about finding any useful records and shedding some light
      on this mystery. Thanks in advance for your help and support.

      Scott

    • Elaine
      Message 2 of 23 , Feb 2, 2011
        Scott, have you tried searching on the Ellis Island database? Do you have any indication of a village name?

        Even if there are multiple names, it will help the group to know what those are.

        Others may have more initial thoughts also.

        Elaine P

        Sent from my iPhone

        On Feb 2, 2011, at 9:55 PM, Scott Stankowitz <scott.stankowitz@...> wrote:

        > Hello,
        >
        > I'm new to the group and genealogy research in general. I opted for a free
        > two week subscription to ancestry.com, and have been trying to track my
        > father's family, who arrived in the US from Austria-Hungary in the early
        > 1900's. I'd like to say they arrived in 1904, but one census record
        > indicates 1904, another says 1912, so there is quite a bit of guesswork
        > involved. Add to that the fact that their surnames are listed differently in
        > each census, and for all I know their names were different when they
        > emigrated. I also only have his mother's maiden name, and New Jersey doesn't
        > have publicly searchable marriage records either.
        >
        > My father always claimed he was from Russia, and was never very close to his
        > family. The census records variously say that his parents' parents were from
        > Austria, Czechoslovakia, and Slovakia; and I haven't yet managed to track
        > down any immigration records for his side either. It is unfortunate that I
        > cannot yet determine my family's exact origins, I was initially thinking
        > Belarus actually...then Ruthenia...but they were probably from the area of
        > the country in present day Slovakia near Poland and Ukraine. But that's just
        > my gut talking, i am looking for some proof...of course they could have
        > departed from anywhere. He belonged to an Eastern Orthodox church growing
        > up, maybe that will narrow things down...
        >
        > I am initially looking for some web resources to aid in my research, and
        > would appreciate any insight on what is out there beyond ancestry.com, and
        > any ideas how to go about finding any useful records and shedding some light
        > on this mystery. Thanks in advance for your help and support.
        >
        > Scott

      • Scott Stankowitz
        Message 3 of 23 , Feb 2, 2011
          Thanks Elaine. My father's father's surname is STANKOWITZ, but I have also
          seen STANKOVICH. My father's mother's surname was BURKEY, but I have also
          seen BERKY.

        • Scott
          Message 4 of 23 , Feb 2, 2011
            Scott,

            If you know the Eastern Orthodox church your father attended, that might be a start. There should be a church history which might be helpful. Many times our ancestors settled in the same location (and started churches as well). Sometimes a whole street became a mini village from the homeland. There was a lot more back and forth travel than I expected. If you can find a few other surnames from the church or neighborhood where your father grew up, it might be helpful as well. In addition to any church birth records, I'd look at census records for his neighborhood and track some of those names through Ellis Island, etc. Hopefully it should help you find "your" relatives!

            The typical story is that someone from the village goes to work in the USA, and word gets back to the village (and nearby villages). Soon, there are a bunch traveling there for work and they find a network which can help them secure work, lodging (boarders, etc), church, etc.

            If you're really lucky the current priest there will be well versed in the history of the church, and maybe there are some descendants of the original immigrants still attending. There may be similar stories to yours and village names recalled (or documented in church records) to help you locate yours!

            Just my 2 cents. I hope it helps.

            --Scott Miskiv

            P.S. I was told we were Russian too, but that's a common mis-identification for Rusyns!

            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Scott Stankowitz <scott.stankowitz@...> wrote:

            > Thanks Elaine. My father's father's surname is STANKOWITZ, but I have also
            > seen STANKOVICH. My father's mother's surname was BURKEY, but I have also
            > seen BERKY.
            >
            > On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 11:07 PM, Elaine <epowell@...> wrote:
            >
            > > Scott, have you tried searching on the Ellis Island database? Do you have
            > > any indication of a village name?
            > >
            > > Even if there are multiple names, it will help the group to know what those
            > > are.
            > >
            > > Others may have more initial thoughts also.
            > >
            > > Elaine P
            > >

            > > Sent from my iPhone
            > >
            > > On Feb 2, 2011, at 9:55 PM, Scott Stankowitz <scott.stankowitz@...>
            > > wrote:
            > >
            > > > Hello,
            > > >
            > > > I'm new to the group and genealogy research in general. I opted for a
            > > free
            > > > two week subscription to ancestry.com, and have been trying to track my
            > > > father's family, who arrived in the US from Austria-Hungary in the early
            > > > 1900's. I'd like to say they arrived in 1904, but one census record
            > > > indicates 1904, another says 1912, so there is quite a bit of guesswork
            > > > involved. Add to that the fact that their surnames are listed differently
            > > in
            > > > each census, and for all I know their names were different when they
            > > > emigrated. I also only have his mother's maiden name, and New Jersey
            > > doesn't
            > > > have publicly searchable marriage records either.
            > > >
            > > > My father always claimed he was from Russia, and was never very close to
            > > his
            > > > family. The census records variously say that his parents' parents were
            > > from
            > > > Austria, Czechoslovakia, and Slovakia; and I haven't yet managed to track
            > > > down any immigration records for his side either. It is unfortunate that
            > > > cannot yet determine my family's exact origins, I was initially thinking
            > > > Belarus actually...then Ruthenia...but they were probably from the area
            > > of
            > > > the country in present day Slovakia near Poland and Ukraine. But that's
            > > just
            > > > my gut talking, i am looking for some proof...of course they could have
            > > > departed from anywhere. He belonged to an Eastern Orthodox church growing
            > > > up, maybe that will narrow things down...
            > > >
            > > > I am initially looking for some web resources to aid in my research, and
            > > > would appreciate any insight on what is out there beyond ancestry.com,
            > > and
            > > > any ideas how to go about finding any useful records and shedding some
            > > light
            > > > on this mystery. Thanks in advance for your help and support.
            > > >
            > > > Scott

          • helene cincebeaux
            Message 5 of 23 , Feb 3, 2011
              Hi Scott - noted your surname. Did your ancestors come from Nizny or Vsyne
              Orlik? I am searching for a Miskivski family from there for someone coming on my
              trip and i was struck by the similarity in the name.

              helene

              ________________________________

            • lkocik@comcast.net
              Message 6 of 23 , Feb 3, 2011
                Scott

                 I don't know about  Orthadox churches, but Roman Catholic churches   record all the sacraments receiveded by it's members.

                 I wrote to the church that my ancestors attended  and they sent me records going back to 1901.I also wrote to the Catholic church that my ancestors attended before 1901 and they were incredible rude; they basically couldn't be bothered.   In any case, I would think it's worth a try.
> [...]

                > > > cannot yet determine my family's exact origins, I was initially thinking
                > > > Belarus actually...then Ruthenia...but they were probably from the area
                > > of
                > > > the country in present day Slovakia near Poland and Ukraine. But that's
                > > just
                > > > my gut talking, i am looking for some proof...of course they could have
                > > > departed from anywhere. He belonged to an Eastern Orthodox church growing
                > > > up, maybe that will narrow things down...
                > > >
                > > > I am initially looking for some web resources to aid in my research, and
                > > > would appreciate any insight on what is out there beyond ancestry.com,
                > > and
                > > > any ideas how to go about finding any useful records and shedding some
                > > light
                > > > on this mystery. Thanks in advance for your help and support.

              • Carl
                Message 7 of 23 , Feb 3, 2011
                  Stan,
                  More information is needed here. First names, birth dates including years, location of residency in the US especially the first location, all would help.
                  CK

                • John
                  Message 8 of 23 , Feb 3, 2011
                    >>> My father's mother's surname was BURKEY, but I have also
                    seen BERKY. <<<

                    For Slovakia, Berky(ova) computes. The other possible spellings do not. Stankovic(ova) works too.

                    If nothing else works to define the village of origin, it is quite possible to cross-reference the villages where these surnames existed in the 1995 Slovak census. Then, you could look at the relevant church records for each village. If the villages are in eastern Slovakia, as you suspect, the GC church records are online.
                  • Mike Belan
                    Message 9 of 23 , Feb 3, 2011
                      Hi john

                      Do you have Stanko in your family line. Are they from the Lubenik area of
                      Slovakia. My Grandmother was a Stanko.

                      Mike

                      >>> My father's mother's surname was BURKEY, but I have also
                      seen BERKY. <<<

                      For Slovakia, Berky(ova) computes. The other possible spellings do not.
                      Stankovic(ova) works too.

                      If nothing else works to define the village of origin, it is quite possible
                      to cross-reference the villages where these surnames existed in the 1995
                      Slovak census. Then, you could look at the relevant church records for each
                      village. If the villages are in eastern Slovakia, as you suspect, the GC
                      church records are online.

                    • Elaine Summerhill
                      Message 10 of 23 , Feb 3, 2011
                        I have a Mary Stanka, daughter of Michael Stanko. They were from the Nitra area
                        in Slovakia.

                        ________________________________

                        Message 11 of 23 , Feb 3, 2011
                          >>> My father's father's surname is STANKOWITZ, but I have also
                          seen STANKOVICH. My father's mother's surname was BURKEY, but I have also seen BERKY. <<<

                          According to genealogist Juraj Cisarik, there are (only) two villages where Stankovic and Berky surnames collide.

                          OLD NAMES of the village:
                          1808 Kotmán-Lehota, Kotmanowá Lhota, 1863 Kotmánlehota, 1873â€"1882, 1898â€"1902 Kotmanlehota, 1888â€"1895 Kottmanlehota, 1907â€"1913 Kotmány, 1920â€"1948 Kotmanová, 1948â€"1990 Dobročská Lehota, 1990â€" Kotmanová. Located southeast of Detva in south central Slovakia.

                          OLD NAMES of the village:
                          1808 FelsÅ`-Mladonya, Horní Mladonice, 1863â€"1888 FelsÅ`mladonya, 1892â€"1913 FelsÅ`legénd, 1920 Horné Mladunice, [Horné] Mladonice, 1927â€" Horné Mladonice. Located east of Krupina in south central Slovakia.

                          You may want to research GC church records covering these two villages. The film reference numbers are not given by LDS online.

                          LDS FICHES (set of 6) LDS #6000786
                          Survey of parish registers in Slovakia up to the time of civil registration. Provides details of church records that are held in Slovak archives. Index of villages is on fiche #6 and page references refer to different religions. Most of these church records are available on film via your LDS Family History Center.

                          The Cisarik information is consistent with (though not identical) to the 1995 Slovak Census which showed the surnames meeting in two distinct areas. (Lower case for one surname, uppeer case for other one)

                          HruÅ¡ov, okr. Veľký krtíš â€" 8×;
                          VEĽKÝ KRTÍŠ, okr. VEĽKÝ KRTÍŠ â€" 78×;

                          *******

                          Čekovce, okr. Zvolen (od r. 1996 krupina) â€" 6×;
                          DETVA-SÍDLISKO (obec DETVA), okr. ZVOLEN (od r. 1996 DETVA) â€" 112×;
                          DETVA, okr. ZVOLEN (od r. 1996 DETVA) â€" 35×;
                          KRIVEC II (obec HRIŇOVÁ), okr. ZVOLEN (od r. 1996 DETVA) â€" 1×;
                          ZVOLEN, okr. ZVOLEN â€" 76×;

                          These sources would suggest a village in south central Slovakia.
                        • Julie Michutka
                          Message 12 of 23 , Feb 3, 2011
                            Hello Scott,

                            Welcome to genealogy! Oh, you�re gonna get addicted!

                            First of all, let me warn you that you must cancel that free two week
                            subscription to Ancestry.com before the 14th day, or they will charge
                            you for a full subscription, and then you have the big hassle of
                            trying to get your money back.

                            Secondly, when you say �New Jersey doesn't have publicly searchable
                            marriage records either,� I think what you really mean is that they
                            don�t have records online. New Jersey records are publicly accessible,
                            you just can�t *see* them on the internet; you will have to order
                            them. Please see http://www.state.nj.us/health/vital/gen.shtml for
                            info and details.

                            So, do I understand you correctly that there are three immigrants:
                            your father, his mother, and his father? How old was your father when
                            he arrived? Did your father have siblings? If so, were they born here
                            or in Europe? It sounds like you don�t know if your father�s parents
                            had any other relatives immigrate, but holler if I�m wrong about that.

                            You also mention, �I am initially looking for some web resources to
                            aid in my research.� There is tons of stuff on the internet�but not
                            everything. At some point, you will almost certainly have to fill out
                            a form, write an email, pick up the phone and make a call, and oh yes,
                            probably spend a little bit of money (see New Jersey marriage records
                            above).

                            Organization will be important in getting the most information from
                            any record you obtain and correlating it with other information that
                            you have (or will have in the future). When I have a new ancestry to
                            work on, and I�m trying to determine where in Europe someone came
                            from, I immediately create a timeline for the immigrant. My timeline
                            ends up looking like a chart, because I make the timeline vertical
                            (rather than horizontal), and then add columns alongside it. You can
                            do this with a spreadsheet (Excel, Numbers), with a table in a word
                            processing program (Word, Pages), on with good ol� paper and pencil.
                            I like Excel, myself.

                            You can make the timeline for the family, or for each individual in
                            the family. Making a timeline that tracks multiple individuals (a
                            family) can become confusing; I prefer one for each individual, or
                            each married couple. If you do a whole family in one timeline, you
                            might want to use color-coding for the individuals.

                            So, create your timeline going down the left side of your paper. At
                            the top of the left side, write �Event�; this is your column heading.
                            Write down every event that generated, or might have generated,
                            documentation, even if you don�t yet have the document (because this
                            timeline will help you decide what records to look for). A basic list
                            is easy: birth, baptism, immigration (for some lucky folks, there�s a
                            manifest from each end of the trip, so two events: emigration and
                            immigration), each census record, naturalization papers or alien
                            registration form, social security application, marriage, births of
                            children, divorce, spouse�s death, death. Add in anything else you
                            know: best man at someone�s wedding, godparent to someone�s child,
                            draft registration (there�s one you can look up on Ancestry.com),
                            moving from one place to another, purchase / sale of property,
                            arrests, driver�s license (date of birth!), church membership.

                            Now, parallel to that timeline column, add the following columns: date
                            of the event; location of the event; document associated with the
                            event (eg marriage license, marriage record); other documents to find;
                            notes.

                            Your �events� column was just that: the name of the event, with no
                            date. �Anna Birkey m. Jan Stankovic� is an event. So is �1920 census.�

                            �Date of event� can be general if you don�t have concrete info: �prob.
                            bef. their son�s birth in Sept 1900� and �January 3, 1920� are equally
                            acceptable entries.

                            �Location of the event� again can be specific or general: �Europe,
                            possibly Slovakia or present-day Ukraine�; �Toms River, New Jersey�

                            �Document associated with the event� is probably self-explanatory:
                            parish register entry, certificate, census record, newspaper clipping,
                            obituary, child�s birth certificate. Be a little specific (John
                            Pavlik obituary, Toms River Gazette, 3 April 1962) or have a second
                            spreadsheet just for your documents (recommended) and then just enter
                            the document name & number here (�doc #3, John Pavlik obit�). Trust
                            me, you will want to keep track of where you found every bit of info,
                            otherwise you will find yourself scratching your head and wondering
                            �now just how did I know that?� by the time you have 6 documents.

                            �Other documents to find�: say the obituary mentions that a man is a
                            veteran; now you want to find his draft registration card on
                            Ancestry.com. An alien registration form gives a date of immigration;
                            note that you need to check that. So this column is sort of a
                            �tickler� file, to remind you of places and info to search.

                            �Notes� is anything; great place to write those questions that come to
                            you as you look at a new document. Or look at an old document, in
                            light of new info. Sometimes I note occupations here, especially if I
                            have two guys with the same name in the same county (men named John
                            Horvath in West Virginia�that was a pain!). Or observations on census
                            records: �boarder in a rooming house with other Slovaks; one has same
                            surname.�

                            Anyway, that�s what I create for a timeline, and I return to it again
                            and again and again as I research the individual or family, adding
                            things, correcting things, tweaking. A recent one had three different
                            birthdates and two different surnames for a woman (different
                            documents, different informant for each document => different info!).
                            I put each in my timeline, and as I accumulated more info, I was able
                            to determine which one was correct, and see why the others were
                            wrong. I did not remove the incorrect ones, but made the entry with
                            the correct date/name bold print. When the problem is solved or the
                            project is done, it is easy to then make a nice neat timeline as a
                            family record, or use your working timeline as the outline of a
                            narrative or report.

                            I would encourage you to look at local histories and parish histories
                            for the area(s) where your family settled. Many of these can be found
                            online. Google the location name plus the word �history.� Work on the
                            family�s FAN club: Friends Associates and Neighbors. As someone else
                            mentioned in a reply to you, people often settled with or near others
                            from the same place.

                            You don�t mention whether the census records indicate that anyone in
                            the family was naturalized. You likely can find either naturalization
                            papers or alien registration forms. These should give you the info
                            you�re looking for. So should a social security application (SS-5),
                            which can be ordered for any deceased individual. You have some good
                            options�they won�t necessarily be free and accessible on the internet,
                            but they�re out there.

                            Hope this helps.

                            Julie Michutka
                            jmm@...

                            On Feb 2, 2011, at 10:55 PM, Scott Stankowitz wrote:

                            > Hello,
                            >
                            > I'm new to the group and genealogy research in general. I opted for
                            > a free
                            > two week subscription to ancestry.com, and have been trying to track
                            > my
                            > father's family, who arrived in the US from Austria-Hungary in the
                            > early
                            > 1900's.

                          • helene cincebeaux
                            Message 13 of 23 , Feb 3, 2011
                              I have 3 listings in the Slovak Pride data base - one is for Stankowicz and then
                              two individuals listing Stankovic. The surname of one is Stankovitz.

                              Contact me directly for more info helenezx@...

                              helene

                              ________________________________
                              >>> My father's father's surname is STANKOWITZ, but I have also
                              seen STANKOVICH. My father's mother's surname was BURKEY, but I have also seen
                              BERKY. <<<

                              According to genealogist Juraj Cisarik, there are (only) two villages where
                              Stankovic and Berky surnames collide.

                              OLD NAMES of the village:
                              1808 Kotmán-Lehota, Kotmanowá Lhota, 1863 Kotmánlehota, 1873â€"1882,
                              1898â€"1902 Kotmanlehota, 1888â€"1895 Kottmanlehota, 1907â€"1913 Kotmány,
                              1920â€"1948 Kotmanová, 1948â€"1990 DobroÄ�ská Lehota, 1990â€" Kotmanová.
[...]

                              VEĽKÃ� KRTÃ�Å , okr. VEĽKÃ� KRTÃ�Å  â€" 78×;

                              *******

                              ÄŒekovce, okr. Zvolen (od r. 1996 krupina) â€" 6×;
                              DETVA-SÃ�DLISKO (obec DETVA), okr. ZVOLEN (od r. 1996 DETVA) â€" 112×;
                              DETVA, okr. ZVOLEN (od r. 1996 DETVA) â€" 35×;
                              KRIVEC II (obec HRIŇOVÃ�), okr. ZVOLEN (od r. 1996 DETVA) â€" 1×;

                              Message 14 of 23 , Feb 3, 2011
                                Sorry, gang, somehow my post (which I had written in a word processor
                                and then cut & paste into email) came through w/o apostrophes or quote
                                marks and in some cases lost spaces between words. If anyone finds it
                                confusing because of that, let me know and I will re-post.

                                Julie
                                On Feb 3, 2011, at 10:14 AM, Julie Michutka wrote:

                                > Hello Scott,
                                >
                                > Welcome to genealogy! Oh, you’re gonna get addicted!
                                >
                                > First of all, let me warn you that you must cancel that free two week
                                > subscription to Ancestry.com before the 14th day, or they will charge
                                > you for a full subscription, and then you have the big hassle of
                                > trying to get your money back.
                              • Cheryl Moser
                                Message 15 of 23 , Feb 3, 2011
                                  Scott,

                                  I like the Steve Morse site http://stevemorse.org/ to search for immigration records. You can search by "sounds like". I prefer this site over Ellis Island (seems more user friendly to me). You can choose which parameters you want to search by being very specific or vague.

                                  Good luck,
                                  Cheryl

                                  Message 16 of 23 , Feb 3, 2011
                                    Scott,
                                    I did a Ancestry.com search with Stankovwitz. There were 144 listings for immigrants. Only one said they were from Slovakia. An Iwan who arrived 12 JUL 1913. The vast majority were Russian, Lithuanian and Polish.
                                    What are the given names of your great-grandfather and grandmother?

                                    On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 11:07 PM, Elaine <mailto:epowell%40earthlink.net> wrote:

                                    > Scott, have you tried searching on the Ellis Island database? Do you have
                                    > any indication of a village name?
                                    >
                                    > Even if there are multiple names, it will help the group to know what those
                                    > are.
                                    >
                                    > Others may have more initial thoughts also.
                                    >
                                    > Elaine P
                                    >

                                    > Sent from my iPhone
                                    >
                                    > On Feb 2, 2011, at 9:55 PM, Scott Stankowitz <mailto:scott.stankowitz%40gmail.com>
                                    > wrote:
                                    >
                                    > > Hello,
                                    > >
                                    > > I'm new to the group and genealogy research in general. I opted for a
                                    > free
                                    > > two week subscription to ancestry.com, and have been trying to track my
                                    > > father's family, who arrived in the US from Austria-Hungary in the early
                                    > > 1900's. I'd like to say they arrived in 1904, but one census record
                                    > > indicates 1904, another says 1912, so there is quite a bit of guesswork
                                    > > involved. Add to that the fact that their surnames are listed differently
                                    > in
                                    > > each census, and for all I know their names were different when they
                                    > > emigrated. I also only have his mother's maiden name, and New Jersey
                                    > doesn't
                                    > > have publicly searchable marriage records either.
                                    > >
                                    > > My father always claimed he was from Russia, and was never very close to
                                    > his
                                    > > family. The census records variously say that his parents' parents were
                                    > from
                                    > > Austria, Czechoslovakia, and Slovakia; and I haven't yet managed to track
                                    > > down any immigration records for his side either. It is unfortunate that
                                    > > cannot yet determine my family's exact origins, I was initially thinking
                                    > > Belarus actually...then Ruthenia...but they were probably from the area
                                    > of
                                    > > the country in present day Slovakia near Poland and Ukraine. But that's
                                    > just
                                    > > my gut talking, i am looking for some proof...of course they could have
                                    > > departed from anywhere. He belonged to an Eastern Orthodox church growing
                                    > > up, maybe that will narrow things down...
                                    > >
                                    > > I am initially looking for some web resources to aid in my research, and
                                    > > would appreciate any insight on what is out there beyond ancestry.com,
                                    > and
                                    > > any ideas how to go about finding any useful records and shedding some
                                    > light
                                    > > on this mystery. Thanks in advance for your help and support.
                                    > >
                                    > > Scott

                                  • Michael Mojher
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Feb 3, 2011
                                      Scott,
                                      I used Steve Morse’s search for Stankowitz. There were 69 listings. Without the given name the search stopped there. There were about the same number for Burkey. Strangely almost half had the given name Alfred.

                                      Message 18 of 23 , Feb 3, 2011
                                        >>> I used Steve Morse’s search for Stankowitz. There were 69 listings. Without the given name the search stopped there. There were about the same number for Burkey. <<<

                                        Were ANY from present-day Slovakia?
                                      • Bernardine Weigand
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Feb 3, 2011
                                          Scott, my daughter's friend's family spells their name STANKIEWICZ.
                                          Bernardine

                                        • Bernardine Weigand
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Feb 3, 2011
                                            On Feb 2, 2011, at 11:16 PM, Scott Stankowitz wrote:
                                            Scott, I just found many STANKIEWICZ on the Ellis Island site.
                                            Bernardine

                                          • Michael Mojher
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Feb 3, 2011
                                              One. Iwan Stankowitz arrived 12 JUL 1913

                                              Message 22 of 23 , Feb 3, 2011
                                                Thanks everyone for the great tips and offers to help. As mentioned, I am
                                                not even sure what country my great grandparents were from, let alone town
                                                or village. My father always said he was Russian and Italian; but both sets
                                                of his grandparents appear to be Austia-Hungarian/Czech/Austrian as reported
                                                by the various sources. The country changed a lot during those times, of
                                                course.

                                                I know I said, "Slovakian", but I cannot put my fingers on any official
                                                sources for that. For those of you who asked, here is the additional info on
                                                my great grandparents (as near as I can get at this point). Thanks again for
                                                all the advice and help.

                                                John Stankowitz b. 6 May 1879
                                                Arrival acc'd to 1920 census: 1904
                                                Arrival acc'd to 1930 census: 1903

                                                Mary ? b. abt 1888
                                                Arrival accd to 1920 census: 1907
                                                Arrival accd to 1930 census: 1905

                                                married abt 1911

                                                In the 1930 census, they both list their birthplaces as Czechoslovakia,
                                                their parents' birthplaces as Austria, and language spoken as Slovak. In
                                                1920, they listed their birthplaces as Austria.

                                                Michael Burkey b. abt 1875 Hungary
                                                Arrival accd to 1920 census: 1904
                                                Arrival accd to 1930 census: 1912

                                                Mary ? b. abt 1876 Austria
                                                Arrival accd to 1920 census: 1913

                                                Married about 1895 or 1896

                                                In 1920, they both list their birthplace as Austria, their fathers'
                                                birthplaces as Hungary, and their mothers' birthplaces as Austria. Their
                                                spoken language is Hungarian (actually specified as "magyar"). In 1930, they
                                                list their birthplaces and both parents' birthplaces as Hungary.

                                                Message 23 of 23 , Feb 3, 2011
                                                  Sorry, someone asked where they lived. As far as I know, they all lived in
                                                  Perth Amboy, NJ. Not sure if that was the first place they lived, but I
                                                  haven't found any other residences yet.