Records in Slovakia

  • lindaminor50
    Message 1 of 23 , Feb 2, 2011
      Hello Listers, Can anyone tell me if there are birth,death or marriage records for Slovakia (Zamutov,'Caklov) other than the ones that are online at Family Search? Years prior to 1890 in RC,GC or Evangelical.
      Thanks for your help. Linda
    • John
      Message 2 of 23 , Feb 2, 2011
        After 1895, the records were kept by civic archives rather than the church. Prior to 1895, what you see is what you get.

        >>> Can anyone tell me if there are birth,death or marriage records for Slovakia (Zamutov,'Caklov) other than the ones that are online at Family Search? Years prior to 1890 in RC,GC or Evangelical. <<<
      • Michael Mojher
        Message 3 of 23 , Feb 2, 2011
          Linda,
          What specifically are you trying to find? If you are not finding what need online it may be what you are searching for is not their or you are not looking in the correct location.
          Here are the Roman Catholic parish information in Caklov and Zamutov. They are served by the same priest – Ivo Jakubik. An e-mail to him may work.
          Dekanát Vranov nad Topľou

          Čaklov
          RKFÚ č. 77
          09435 Telefón: 057/4880235

          E-mail: fara(at)caklov.sk
          WWW: http://www.fara.caklov.sk

          Titul kostola, kaplnky
          Čaklov Nanebovzatia Panny Márie
          Zámutov Ružencovej Panny Márie

          farár Ivo Jakubík best376(at)yahoo.com

          Message 4 of 23 , Feb 3, 2011
            Michael,  Thank you for your reply.  I am looking for my ggrandfather, John
            Miklos(Micklos) who per his obit was born June 1861 In Cheklov, Czechoslovakia.
            I have assumed that is Caklov----am I wrong??  Also his US census records list
            Austria, Hungary and Slovakia. I have searched all the records and can't find a
            John of that age that lived long enough to immigrate in 1881. One possibility
            was born 1863 in Varanno. Some of the Sol records are in the fold of the book so
            I may be missing them. I will try to email the priest and see if he can help.
            Thanks for the idea.
            Linda

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 23 , Feb 3, 2011
              >>> Some of the Sol records are in the fold of the book so I may be missing them. I will try to email the priest and see if he can help.
              Thanks for the idea. <<<

              The priest doesn't have "the book". It's in the Presov Archive.
            • John
              Message 6 of 23 , Feb 3, 2011
                >>> I am looking for my ggrandfather, John Miklos(Micklos) who per his obit was born June 1861 In Cheklov, Czechoslovakia. I have assumed that is Caklov----am I wrong?? <<<

                The 1869 Hungarian Census is available on film from LDS and would serve to tell you everyone in the village at that time and their relationship.

                Csáklyó (Čaklov) -- Cselej (Čelovce) -- Csernahó (Černochov) -- Csernina (Černina) Film #722684

                Sorry, you can't view it online.

                ps: Czechoslovakia did not exist before 1918.
              • Michael Mojher
                Message 7 of 23 , Feb 3, 2011
                  Linda,
                  You are correct that Caklov was Cekl’ov. That was in 1920. In 1861 it was known as Csaklyo and Csaklowce. So you will have to see what year the Cekl’ov reference was made.
                  I is not unusual to have several country references made in the US Census. Those who identified with being Slovak could choose Slovak or Slovakland. Depending on when they were born it would have been Hungary, pre-1862. In 1862 Hungary was part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire until 1918. Slovaks during that period often chose to be listed as Austrian rather than Hungarian.
                  276 Čaklov VT/PV zemplín.
                  1773 Csaklyó, Cžaklow, 1786 Cschaklyo, 1808 Csaklyó, Cžaklowce, 1863, 1877–1913 Csáklyó, 1873 Csáklya, 1920 Čekľov, Čaklov, 1927– Čaklov

                  There are three places with the use of Varanno in the name. Only the Vranov nad Topl’ou is in Zemplin County like Caklov. And using that name in 1861. From these findings I think you have narrowed your ancestral villages down.

                  2695 Vranov nad Topľou VT/PV zemplín. 1944 pričl. o. Vranovské Dlhé; 1970 pričl. o. Čemerné; 1970–1996 pričl. o. Hencovce.
                  1773 Varano, Wranow, 1786 Waranó, Wrano, 1808 Varanó, Varannó, Waranow, Wranow, 1863–1913 Varannó, 1920, 1944–1969 Vranov, 1927–1944, 1969– Vranov nad Topľou [1979– č. o. Vranov]

                  Message 8 of 23 , Feb 3, 2011
                    >>> I am looking for my ggrandfather, John Miklos(Micklos) who per his obit was born June 1861 In Cheklov, Czechoslovakia. I have assumed that is Caklov----am I wrong?? <<<

                    I amy have found the marriage of John Miklos' parents. The marriage is in the brides parish but the children are in the GROOM'S parish. Note that the groom is GC while the bride is RC.

                    Sol RC Chruch Records
                    Inv. č. 1133
                    Manželstvá 1843-1909
                    Page 16/129
                    Groom: Michael Miklos, 25 GC, Agyagos #77 (now Hlinne)
                    Bride: Elizabetha Pizsont, 19, RC, Agyagos #13

                    Cisarik lists both Miklos and Pizsont surnames in Hlinne.

                    GC Agyagos Film #311
                    They had children in the GC church records as follows:
                    Page 10/128 Maria born 21 Aug 1858
                    Page 16/128 Anna born 12 Oct 1860
                    Page 23/128 Elizabetha 9 May 1863
                    Page 28/128 Joannes 19 Aug 1865
                    . . . at which point I stopped looking. It would seem that we have found what you are looking for. House is #76. 1869 Hungarian Census film #722668.
                  • Linda Minor
                    Message 9 of 23 , Feb 6, 2011
                      John, I appreciate your efforts to help me.  Unfortunately, this Joannes died in
                      1880 so that family is not a possibility for me.
                      Thanks,
                      Linda

                      ________________________________

                      Message 10 of 23 , Feb 6, 2011
                        >>> John, I appreciate your efforts to help me.  Unfortunately, this Joannes died in 1880 so that family is not a possibility for me. <<<

                        Sorry that the GC church to the north did not work out.

                        Working on the GC parish to the south, Cemerne, we have the following possibility.

                        Greek Catholic parish registers of baptisms, marriages and deaths for Čemerné, Slovakia, formerly Csemernye, Zemplén, Hungary (also called Varannó-Csemernye).

                        Inv. č. 160
                        Krsty 1831-1863
                        Manželstvá 1831-1862
                        Úmrtia 1832-1860

                        Inv. č. 161
                        Krsty 1875-1891

                        Inv. č. 161 (pokrač.)
                        Krsty 1891-1894

                        Inv. č. 162
                        Krsty 1864-1874
                        Manželstvá 1862-1891
                        Úmrtia 1861-1895

                        Inv. č. 163
                        Krsty 1895
                        Manželstvá 1892-1895

                        Research film GC Cemerne film #160
                        Page 106/157 the marriage of Joannes Mikloss to Maria Tirpak.
                        Page 66/157 B Maria 5 Nov 1861, Varano 66
                        Page 72/157 B Joannes 27 Apr 1863, Varano 53

                        Perhaps another tangent but worth a look.
                      • John
                        Message 11 of 23 , Feb 12, 2011
                          Can anyone translate the comments in the following reference?

                          Research film GC Cemerne film #160,
                          Page 106/157
                          marriage of Joannes Mikloss to Maria Tirpak.
                        • CurtB
                          Message 12 of 23 , Feb 12, 2011
                            He is a soldier on leave.

                            Curt B.

                            > Can anyone translate the comments in the following reference?
                            >
                            > Research film GC Cemerne film #160,
                            > Page 106/157
                            > marriage of Joannes Mikloss to Maria Tirpak.

                          • Carl
                            Message 13 of 23 , Feb 13, 2011
                              Curt,
                              What is the word in front of "miles" (soldier)? The Latin word for furlough is commeatus but I cannot make out the word in this record.

                              I also noticed that the man was a "arcularius" which is a maker of small chests, boxes or caskets.

                              CK

                              Message 14 of 23 , Feb 13, 2011
                                John,
                                I'm not sure if you are researching your own family in Csemernye or helping someone else. But this is a perfect situation to find the military records for the ancestor, Joannes Mikloss. His marriage records confirm that he was in the army. I have only had one of my ancestor's church records indicate he was in the army. In all the other cases, I made a guess based on their age when they got married.

                                Anyway, Joannes would most likely would have been in the infantry and in line infantry regiment #34. This is the regiment that recruited in Zemplen in the 1850s. By coincidence, I have been studying this regiment myself. In 1860 to 1866, IR34 changed recruiting districts and recruited in Gomor County which is where my paternal family lived. My great-grandfather was conscripted in 1864 into IR34 during the war with Denmark. He then served in the 1866 war with Prussia (The Seven Weeks War). I have been writing up the exploits of his regiment in these two wars. There is an incredible amount of information out there on this regiment including a detailed regimental history that covers the years of 1733-1900 (860 pages in length) and it is available on-line from Google Books. In 1859, Austria fought a war in northern Italy and Joannes would probably served in this war. The regimental history covers this war in detail. So, you can follow exactly what Joannes' regiment did and what the battles were like that they participated in.

                                The first thing to do is to find Joannes' personnel records. These are located in books called Grundbuchblatter. The grundbuch records for this period are located in the Kriegs archive in Vienna but the LDS has filmed all of them. Therefore, you can find the grundbuch records for IR34 in their catalog. In the military records section of Bill Tarkulich's website, you will find a guide that will explain how to research these records. Here is a link to that information:

                                http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/ahm.html

                                Janos was 26.5 years old in Nov. of 1860. So, he would have been born around 1833. He would have likely been conscripted between 1853 and 1856. At that time, men had an 8 year obligation in the army followed by service in the reserves. Men typically served 1-3 years actively and were then furloughed to their homes for the remainder of their active duty (unless there was a war). Men were not paid while they were on furlough so this was a way for the Army to save money but still have trained soldiers available. Janos would have been called back up in 1859, if he was on furlough, to serve in Italy. After the war, he was obviously back home where he got married. Pretty interesting stuff.

                                Let me know if you are interested in pursuing finding Janos' military records and I can give you some tips on where to look. If you do find his grundbuch records, make sure you try to ascertain which battlion and company he was in (I can explain to you how to do this). With this information, you can see specifically what he did in the war because the regimental history breaks things down to that level.

                                Here is the reference to IR34's regimental history:

                                KREIPNER, JULIUS: History of the Imperial and Royal Infantry Regiment No. 34 for ever-lasting periods Wilhelm I, German Emperor and King of Prussia: 1733 - 1900. Košice: 1900.

                                and here is the Google link:
                                http://books.google.com/books?id=UyEoAAAAYAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=KREIPNER,+JULIUS:+Geschichte+des+k.+und+k.+Infanterie-Regimentes+Nr.+34&hl=en&ei=c6ATTbzDIML88AbL5KzCDg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=book-preview-link&resnum=1&ved=0CCgQuwUwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false

                                There are two more regimental histories on IR34 that cover your timeframe but they are not available from Google books.

                                · Josef MULLER: The 34th kk Austrian Line Infantry Regiment, King William I of Prussia in the campaigns of 1859 and 1864. Tetschen: 1865th
                                · Gustav WUST: History of the 34th kk Linin Infantry Regiment Prince Regent of Prussia. Vienna in 1860.

                                In addition, there are many books on the Italian War in 1859.

                                By the way, all regiments had an honorary owner called an "inhaber" for which they took their name. IR34's inhaber was Wilhelm, the King of Prussia.
                                good luck in your research,
                                Carl

                                Message 15 of 23 , Feb 13, 2011
                                  >>> I'm not sure if you are researching your own family in Csemernye or helping someone else. But this is a perfect situation to find the military records for the ancestor, Joannes Mikloss. His marriage records confirm that he was in the army. <<<

                                  Carl, this string is being reserached by Linda Minor and I am sure that your advice will be gratefully received. Linda has yet to confirm Jan Miklos (var sp) and the one mentioned above is our latest shot at pinning him down.

                                  My ADAM clan is from Dubravka and I found nothing of value in the minimal military records that I reviewed at LDS. Perhaps I missed some.
                                • CurtB
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Feb 13, 2011
                                    OK, wait a minute. I am not sure we are all looking at the same record. The original citation may not be accurate as to page, marriage, and persons. I don't see an arcularius anywhere.

                                    Please give a full careful citation. Madyar or Slovak town name, etc. I found the wife's name but not the arcularius stuff.

                                    Curt B.

                                    Message 17 of 23 , Feb 13, 2011
                                      The citation that I gave earlier is correct. Marriage is at bottom of right hand page.

                                      John

                                      Message 18 of 23 , Feb 13, 2011
                                        OK, I am not lost.
                                        The latin says "ab licentiatus milites" a very late latin usage. It is a past participle meaning licenced or permitted. A solder permitted [by the military] to get married. He had to have a signed military paper permitting this marriage, so he was at a stage of his service that allowed this, and is obviously now on leave to actually get married. Note in this section of the register that the priest is particularly proud of his latin composition and seems to enjoy composing ecclesiastical or late latin.
                                        Curt B.

                                        > The citation that I gave earlier is correct. Marriage is at bottom of right hand page.
                                        >
                                        > John
                                        >
                                        > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "CurtB" <curt67boc@> wrote:
                                        > >
                                        > > OK, wait a minute. I am not sure we are all looking at the same record. The original citation may not be accurate as to page, marriage, and persons. I don't see an arcularius anywhere.
                                        > >
                                        > > Please give a full careful citation. Madyar or Slovak town name, etc. I found the wife's name but not the arcularius stuff.
                                        > >
                                        > > Curt B.
                                        > >
                                        > > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Carl" <kotlarchik@> wrote:
                                        > > >
                                        > > > Curt,
                                        > > > What is the word in front of "miles" (soldier)? The Latin word for furlough is commeatus but I cannot make out the word in this record.
                                        > > >
                                        > > > I also noticed that the man was a "arcularius" which is a maker of small chests, boxes or caskets.
                                        > > >
                                        > > > CK

                                      • christine mackara
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Feb 14, 2011
                                          Hi Curt B.,

                                          Thank you Curt for your translation/explanation of " ablicentiatus miles'
                                          I was just reading the answer to something John wrote and it applies to a marriage in 1861 in Presov for a Makara cousin in my husbands family tree. He was also a "murar sodalis" bricklayer. All this ads flavor to a story.
                                          Thanks again, Christine

                                          Message 20 of 23 , Feb 14, 2011
                                            Thanks Curt. That makes more sense. The man was 26.5 years old so he was born in 1833. He likely was conscipted around 1853 and after serving though the 50s and in the 1859 war in Italy, he would have been eligible to go into the reserves and permitted to be married. By the way, the "arcularius" notation is directly below his name in the marriage document. His wife is listed as an orphan.
                                            CK

                                            Message 21 of 23 , Feb 16, 2011
                                              Hi John,  I haven't checked my mail in a few days and now find you have posted
                                              the translation for me. Thank you. This is the only email I have for you so hope
                                              you get it. From what I can gather, Joannes was a maker of "small boxes" and was
                                              in the military? And his marriage record says he was home on leave? Very
                                              interesting.  This Miklos seems to be the best choice for my realative so I will
                                              definitely hold on to the information until I can somehow confirm. Thanks again
                                              for your help.
                                              Linda

                                              ________________________________

                                              Message 22 of 23 , Feb 16, 2011
                                                Hello Carl,  I am Linda, the one who is researching Joannes Miklos.  I
                                                appreciate all of your input. It is very interesting. To better understand
                                                this---He was in the military and married when he was home on leave or was he at
                                                that point discharged? You mentioned serving in the war in 1859.  Would he have
                                                been back home in 1860 to get married?  I realize I will need to look at the
                                                records to verify all of this which I will do when I know for sure that he was
                                                my realative. I have to check the Hungarian census to see if at some point he
                                                lived in Caklov. Thank you so much for the information and the resources.

                                                Linda

                                                Message 23 of 23 , Feb 17, 2011
                                                  Hi Linda,
                                                  Hard to tell if he was on furlough or was about to be transferred into the reserves. In the 1850s, men had an active duty obligation of about 8 years followed by several years in the reserves. Men usually only spent 1-3 years on active duty and then were furloughed to their homes for the remainder of their active duty obligation (unless there was a war going on). Given that Janos was born in 1833, he would have been conscripted around 1853. So in 1860, he would have been close to being moved into the reserves depending on when he actually began his service. I think it is likely he would have served in the war in Italy in 1859 and then released in 1860. If you search for his records, look for the film that shows men with birth years around 1833. You should be able to find it in films covering the mid 1850s. Unfortunately, the FHC has not done a good job of indexing the films. So, you may have to check a couple films in that time frame to find the one listing 1833 births. Grundbuchs vary a bit in how they are organized. Each battalion in the regiment is listed separately and then broken down further by companies (6 companies in each of 4 battalions). Usually, (but not always) the officers are listed first for each unit, then cadets and finally the enlisted men. The enlisted men will have common birth years but of course the officers will not. When you find Janos' record, go back and record the information on the officers for his battalion and for his company. Note that the battalions may not be listed by a number but by a title. I know this may sound complicated but it really isn't.
                                                  Regimental histories describe the events each field battalion participated in. Field battalions sometimes operated separately and at other times they fought together. There were 3 field battalions and 1 smaller home depot battalion in each regiment. Well, that's probably more than you wanted to know at this point. Contact me if you decide to pursue this search and if you do find Janos' record. I can then point you to the other available information.
                                                  Carl