Place names around Trebisov

  • pstagen
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 29, 2011
      I have been researching the part of my family that came from today's Trebisov. At the time, its Hungarian names included Toketerebes, Terebes and Toke-Terebes among others. Reviewing the Greek Catholic church records and an 1890 map also showed a place name called "Parics" to the southeast of Toketerebes. I assume it was folded into the larger village as the community grew. My GGM MARIA KOCZAN came from there.

      My ancestors also came from another community within this church's reach that looks like "Csakjalu" and "Csatzfalu" (1858 – 64 baptism records). Does anyone know the correct spelling of this place name, its location relative to the center of the Terebes of the 1890's and if there are other names for it?

      I know where my relatives lived there thanks to the 1869 census and church records from 1822 to the 1880's. I also know where they started their lives in the US. What I am searching for is when did they arrive and did the family units came together or in groups. All indications suggest the arrivals came between 1892 and 1893 but their Hungarian-spelled surname is nowhere to be found nor using any variation found in subsequent census or governmental records. I am hoping the Stephen Morse site might work if I use the correct alternate locations. Thanks for your consideration.
    • JOHN
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 29, 2011
        >>> I am hoping the Stephen Morse site might work if I use the correct alternate locations. <<<

        Plug in the village name Csakf on the Morse site and you get some surname possibilities.
      • John Venham
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 31, 2011
          Toketerebes is the Hungarian name for Trebisov.

          I'd recommend the wikipedia page for Trebisov, Slovakia. It is in English. At the bottom there is a list of all of the towns in the local district.  If you have read your Csa_falu town correctly -- and if the beginning is similar in Slovak, then you might focus on those towns that start with C or C-with a mark over it.   Moreover, I am certain that the Hungarian version ends in -falu. That is a typical Hungarian place ending, very much like the -ton ending in English (from town).

          Yes, Parics is now a part of Trebisov, and it is spelled as Paric in Slovak. Here is a map: http://www.supernavigator.sk/clients/mesta/start_mesto.php?id=89. If the link doesn't work, start at trebisov.sk, and find the "Mesta Trebisova" link. This map is expandable, so you might also be able to try to locate the other town as well.

          Good Luck

          John Venham

          "The Journey is the Reward"