Re: Krakow - Slovakia travel or reverse

  • L. LEPORIS
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 26, 2011
      Hey guys, wouldn't Vienna be better or cheaper to fly to and then take the train into Bratislava?
      Would love to learn that route to see the museums there while I'm visiting my cousin. He tells me it's about a 45 min ride.

      LLeporis

    • John
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 26, 2011
        >>> Hey guys, wouldn't Vienna be better or cheaper to fly to and then take the train into Bratislava?
        Would love to learn that route to see the museums there while I'm visiting my cousin. He tells me it's about a 45 min ride. <<<

        From VIE, simply walk out the departures door and board a bus to Bratislava. A 1 hour ride. The drop is at the bus station or the Bratislava Airport. From Autobuova Stanica (AS), I walk a few blocks to Hotel Arcus. Music Faculty across the pleasant back yard often has musicians practicing.

        Book online and get confirmation in English.

        If going onward, I take a cab to Bratislava airport from Arcus.
      • Elaine Summerhill
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 26, 2011
          Best price I found earlier in the year was to fly into Budapest. Go figure...

          Elaine in NM

          ________________________________

          Hey guys, wouldn't Vienna be better or cheaper to fly to and then take the train
          into Bratislava?
          Would love to learn that route to see the museums there while I'm visiting my
          cousin. He tells me it's about a 45 min ride.

          LLeporis

        • Ben Sorensen
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 26, 2011
            A bus works, but the train is probably faster. It is actually an easy drive; I
            have done it hundreds of times.

            ________________________________
            >>> Hey guys, wouldn't Vienna be better or cheaper to fly to and then take the
            >>>train into Bratislava?
            Would love to learn that route to see the museums there while I'm visiting my
            cousin. He tells me it's about a 45 min ride. <<<

            From VIE, simply walk out the departures door and board a bus to Bratislava. A 1
            hour ride. The drop is at the bus station or the Bratislava Airport. From
            Autobuova Stanica (AS), I walk a few blocks to Hotel Arcus. Music Faculty across
            the pleasant back yard often has musicians practicing.

            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 26, 2011
              Just checked it, and the times are about the same for bus or train. The train is
              more comfortable, and there is often a food-car. BEER!

              VIE has the easiest access back to Slovakia- saying this after travelling it too
              many times.

              Ben

              ________________________________
              >>> Hey guys, wouldn't Vienna be better or cheaper to fly to and then take the
              >>>train into Bratislava?
              Would love to learn that route to see the museums there while I'm visiting my
              cousin. He tells me it's about a 45 min ride. <<<

              From VIE, simply walk out the departures door and board a bus to Bratislava. A 1
              hour ride. The drop is at the bus station or the Bratislava Airport. From
              Autobuova Stanica (AS), I walk a few blocks to Hotel Arcus. Music Faculty across
              the pleasant back yard often has musicians practicing.

              Book online and get confirmation in English.

              If going onward, I take a cab to Bratislava airport from Arcus.

            • Ron
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 26, 2011
                Vienna - Bratislava - I was a strong user of trains as well until last summer. Then I found out the bus stop with regularly scheduled busses to Bratislava are girth at the airport. That means no time lost in finding and going to the train station and buying a ticket. Last summer the fare one way was 7 Euro per passenger + 1 Euro per bag. Ask about and look about. The Austrian buss stalls are distinct from the Slovak bus line stalls.

                Ron

                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "L. LEPORIS" <leporis1@...> wrote:

                > Hey guys, wouldn't Vienna be better or cheaper to fly to and then take the train into Bratislava?
                > Would love to learn that route to see the museums there while I'm visiting my cousin. He tells me it's about a 45 min ride.
                >
                > LLeporis

              • John
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 26, 2011
                  >>> Ask about and look about. The Austrian buss stalls are distinct from the Slovak bus line stalls. <<<

                  That's true (and a long story). Slovak Lines goes to Autobuova Stanica while Blagus Austrian Lines goes to the new bridge terminal (only). Slovak Lines is just outside the ARRIVALS area. Blagus Austrian is upstairs at DEPARTURES, less frequent and not as good a location for Arcus Hotel, our fav.