Re: lds films

  • sabinov@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 17, 2000
      Had to comment here.....

      The standard policy coming from Salt Lake City is that films are never
      allowed out of the FHC. And if you get a film on "permanent loan" by
      paying for it 3 times, you can't transfer it to another center
      either.....

      I had called and asked them as there are so many problems with our FHC
      here in Mobile since the new director took over.. I had wanted to
      transfer my 5 Sabinov films to Pensacola as their hours and more
      convienent even considering the hour drive... and they are actually open
      when they are supposed to be.
      No deal according to SLC. They stay where they are ordered from, I'd
      have to order them and pay all over again to get them in Pensacola.

      For Slovak things, and other films that are not filmed by NARA or state
      archives, you're stuck with the FHC... but I've learned this past year
      (as I had to find some alternatives because of the problems) that your
      local genealogy library is a GREAT source. Here in Mobile they had many
      of the US censuses and everything related to AL, FL and LA which I
      needed when I found a Brooklyn relative ended up down here.
      They also had ship arrivals for New Orleans and the naturalization
      indexes for NO.. -and- the microfilm copy machines actually work and are
      cheaper. This is via the local public library.

      You can also get microfilms of many newspapers and some other things via
      interlibrary loan... another good source. Usually there is a charge for
      them, but it's reasonable.

      Also, if you're really stuck there are places you can order films
      directly for a month, like Heritage Quest. Basically tho its the NARA
      stuff, but it comes to your house and then you just take it wherever you
      want to view it.

      So there - are - some alternatives, but the LDS is still the best bet. I
      wish Santa would bring me a ticket to SLC for a week of research there
      (and pay the vet bill to board the dogs while I'm gone).

      Helpful Hints for Successful Searching