Re: names

  • J. Michutka
    Message 1 of 46 , Jul 31, 1999
      So THAT'S why my grandpa was named George after his grandfather (and
      great-grandfather, and gr-gr-grandfather), instead of Matus after his
      father--grandpa was born Apr. 21! There's a fertility connection too,
      Grandpa fathered 8 kids!

      It's interesting to see which names are NOT common--after going through 150
      years of birth, marriages, and deaths for Makov, I found only one Valeria
      besides my grandmother. Someone noted that Catherine was uncommon--but it
      was *really* common in Makov! Vincent was common, but Victor was not--my
      dad and his twin were Victor and Vincent. And just like today, names
      seemed to have had a run of popularity--Eva was very common for a while in
      the records; someone had twins on New Years Day, and named them Adam and
      Eva. (Don't know what the Slovak equivalent is, the records were in Latin.)

      I'm learning all kinds of stuff from this list!

      Julie Michutka
      jmm@...

      At 09:32 PM 7/31/99 -0400, you wrote:
      >From: MJESKO@... (mark JESKO)
      >
      >Ahoj!
      >George was for the Dragon Slayer considered to be protector of Christian
      >Church.
      >
      >He also took on many aspects of the ancient Slavic sun-god. You see him
      >pictured on a white horse, this was the ancient symbol for the sun-god.
      >
      >His name day is also in middle of Spring, April 23rd, so many customs
      >and traditons deal with spring and fertility are practiced during this
      >time. The sun is getting stronger, new life coming forth from the
      >earth.....
    • Michael Mojher
      Message 46 of 46 , Dec 8, 2010
        Bill,
        Your point is well taken and understood.
        Since one of the questions dealt with what “nationality” the surname Arvay might be I just wanted to show Andrea that Arvay is a surname found in modern day Slovakia.
        In a previous e-mail I told Andrea it was very important that she try to provide the information you requested.

        From: Michael Mojher <mailto:mgmojher%40comcast.net>
        To: mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com
        Date: Tuesday, December 7, 2010, 6:19 PM

        Andrea,
        It will be very helpful if you answer the questions that Bill Tarkulich had in his reply.
        In the mean time I can give you this information about your surname.
        Arvay is a surname that was in the 1995 Slovak Census. In Slovakia they found 248 individuals with that surname. They were found in 109 locations in Slovakia. The town of Mojmirovce in the district (county) of Nitra had the single greatest number. There are 17 Arvay and 11 Arvayova. In Slovakia the “ova” ending is feminine. \

        Ellis Island website has 92 entries for the surname Arvay. The majority of them said they were from Hungary. Up to World War 1 Slovakia of today was part of Hungary. There were entries for Slovakia and Czechoslovakia.

        From: Bill Tarkulich <mailto:bill.tarkulich%40iabsi.com>
        To: mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com
        Date: Monday, December 6, 2010, 9:41 AM

        Where do you live? What documents have you already examined? Have you
        examined immigration records? I would not recommend speculating about
        origins based on surnames.

        If you live in the USA, you have a world of resources.

        Bill