Re: naturalization and passports

  • sabinov@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 16, 2000
      The easiest way to get a naturalization file for anyone in the boroughs
      of NY is to email the Varick Street branch, give them the details and
      your snail mail address and then they send you copies of the cards that
      match the criteria. If you find the person you want, you send them $10
      and they send you the file, which is usually the DOI Declaration of
      Intent and the final papers. All this information is on my Helpful Hints
      page, url below.

      As for Passports, I have to put that section up on my page over
      Christmas ....but passports were only required during WW1 and then much
      later... however, many naturalized citizens wanted to make sure they
      would be able to return to the US without problems so they did get
      passports, but those were mostly men.
      I have a passport application from 1906 for my great uncle to went to
      visit family in Germany, and he took no chances, even went through
      naturalization again (as he was covered by his fathers when he was an
      infant) to be sure. On his application he lists his mother as
      accompanying him on the trip, so I would think that family members did
      not have to get separate ones.

      the FHC has the NARA index up to 1906 - but after that you have to
      contact NARA. That's what I had to do, did it by email... you just send
      to the main one in Washington DC with the info on the person and they
      email you back, or at least they did 2 years ago. I'd always give snail
      mail addresses just in case.

      Helpful Hints for Successful Searching