Researching the Lovinger Surname

  • Elissa Boyet
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 12, 2011
      Hi
      I am researching the Lovinger name of my relatives that came from Hungary.
      I have some documentation showing the town or city of birth being Jolesc and
      some records stating Gomor and some with Tiba or Sajotiba. My relatives
      came here to the US in 1913 and earlier.

      Thanks

    • Michael Mojher
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 12, 2011
        141 Bohúňovo RV/KI gemer. 1924 pričl. o. Tiba.
        1773, 1786, 1808, 1863–1913, 1938–1945 Lekenye, 1927–1938, 1945–1948 Lekeňa, Lekenye, 1948– Bohúňovo
        Tiba: 1773, 1786, 1863–1902 Tiba, 1808 Tiba, Tyba, 1907–1913 Sajótiba, 1920 Tyba [-1924 Tiba]

        Both of these Slovak towns were in Gemer (Hungarian Gomor) Region. It appears Tiba no longer existed after 1924. Notice tha fro 1907 to 1913 it was called Sajotiba. This gives you a very narrow window when your information was “good”. As you stated, “1913”. It may have been absorbed by Bohunovo. Bohúňovo is a village and municipality in the Rožňava District in the Košice Region of eastern Slovakia.
        http://travelingluck.com/Europe/Slovakia/Slovakia%20%28general%29/_723379_Tiba.html#local_map This is a map that shows both Bohunovo and Tiba.

        904 Jovice RV/KI gemer. 1976–1990 pričl. k o. Rožňava.
        1773, 1786, 1808, 1877–1882 Jólesz, 1863, 1888–1913, 1927–1948 Jólész, 1873 Jolész, 1920 Jolés, 1948–1976, 1990– Jovice

        Jolesc might be Jovice. Its spelling in 1913 was Jolesz. It is also in the Gemer Region and Roznava District.

        Jovice is near Roznava, just south of the city a road goes to the east and it is on it. Whereas the road that continues south and slightly west goes to Bohunovo and Tiba.

        In the 1995 Slovak Census the surname Lovinger was located in 8 towns. None of your towns are listed. Nor is the Roznava District.

        Priezvisko LŐVINGER sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nachádzalo 13×, celkový počet lokalít: 6, v lokalitách:
        MARTIN, okr. MARTIN – 4×;
        HURBANOVO, okr. KOMÁRNO – 3×;
        MALCOV, okr. BARDEJOV – 2×;
        SUČANY, okr. MARTIN – 2×;
        ŽILINA, okr. ŽILINA – 1×;
        PODHÁJ (obec MARTIN), okr. MARTIN – 1×;

        Priezvisko LÖVINGER sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nachádzalo 3×, celkový počet lokalít: 2, v lokalitách:
        NOVÉ ZÁMKY, okr. NOVÉ ZÁMKY – 2×;
        BARDEJOV, okr. BARDEJOV – 1×;

        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 13, 2011
          Here is information I have on my family that came here in October of 1913. Some of the family did go back in 1921 and came back under the name Lewinger. Trying to find birth information and marriage info

          Bertalam Lovinger b. 11/14/1869 - Jolesz,Gomor County
          Rose Lovinger (nee Greenbaum or Grinbaum or Grunbaum) b. 5/15/1874 Valy, Hungary Gomor County
          Walter - Zoltan - b. 4/10/1907 Sajotiba Hungary
          Bennie - b 1/23/1904 - Tiba
          Elsa - b. 7/4/10 Sargotalan, Hungary

          The name on the passenger manifest

          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Elissa Boyet <niftee@...> wrote:

          > Hi
          > I am researching the Lovinger name of my relatives that came from Hungary.
          > I have some documentation showing the town or city of birth being Jolesc and
          > some records stating Gomor and some with Tiba or Sajotiba. My relatives
          > came here to the US in 1913 and earlier.
          >

          > Thanks

        • Michael Mojher
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 13, 2011
            Elissa,
            Here is the information from the Ship’s Manifest, the required questions asked of all passengers.
            Arrival – October 8, 1913 from Bremen, Germany. Manifest page 9, lines 13 to 20
            Lovinger
            Bertalan 50 bartender Hebrew Hungary
            Roza 37 housewife “ “
            Ida 17 female “ “
            Laszla 16 male “ “
            Ilona 11.5 female “ “
            Bela 8 male “ “
            Zoltan 4 male “ “
            Elsa 3 female “ “
            From Sajotiba (Tiba, Slovakia)

            Bela seems to have become Bennie.
            Elza’s birthdate would match what you have.

            I had great-grandparents that were house servants. I lost track of them. A genealogist told me servants were “stolen” by other households. If they moved they did not leave forwarding address. So it is possible that as a bartender Bertalan may have moved from Jolesz to Tiba for work. Look in Tiba’s records first.
            I had no luck with Valy in Gomor County. Nor any for Sargotanlan.
            Where did you get Bertalan and Roza’s birth information?

            --- In mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com, Elissa Boyet <niftee@...> wrote:

            > Hi
            > I am researching the Lovinger name of my relatives that came from Hungary.
            > I have some documentation showing the town or city of birth being Jolesc and
            > some records stating Gomor and some with Tiba or Sajotiba. My relatives
            > came here to the US in 1913 and earlier.
            >

            > Thanks

          • Elissa Boyet
            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 14, 2011
              HI Michael

              The info is correct but Bertalan became Bert or Bertolany on the 1921 census. Bela became Bennie. Where would I find Tiba’s records. I obtained brith date from a combination of marriage records and naturalization records

              Thanks

              Here is information I have on my family that came here in October of 1913. Some of the family did go back in 1921 and came back under the name Lewinger. Trying to find birth information and marriage info

              Bertalam Lovinger b. 11/14/1869 - Jolesz,Gomor County
              Rose Lovinger (nee Greenbaum or Grinbaum or Grunbaum) b. 5/15/1874 Valy, Hungary Gomor County
              Walter - Zoltan - b. 4/10/1907 Sajotiba Hungary
              Bennie - b 1/23/1904 - Tiba
              Elsa - b. 7/4/10 Sargotalan, Hungary

              The name on the passenger manifest

              --- In mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com, Elissa Boyet <niftee@...> wrote:

              > Hi
              > I am researching the Lovinger name of my relatives that came from Hungary.
              > I have some documentation showing the town or city of birth being Jolesc and
              > some records stating Gomor and some with Tiba or Sajotiba. My relatives
              > came here to the US in 1913 and earlier.
              >

              > Thanks

            • Michael Mojher
              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 14, 2011
                http://data.jewishgen.org/wconnect/wc.dll?jg~jgsys~shtetm~-865655 Salgótarján, Hungary This could be your Sargotanlan

                I would suggest that you go to Jewishgen.org and see if someone might guide you on looking for records in Hungary. The difficulty is that there were Jewish communities in Slovakia and Hungary, http://www.jewishgen.org/Hungary/ Finding one for your relatives that has the records is more than I have experience in finding.

                The info is correct but Bertalan became Bert or Bertolany on the 1921 census. Bela became Bennie. Where would I find Tiba’s records. I obtained brith date from a combination of marriage records and naturalization records

                Thanks

                Here is information I have on my family that came here in October of 1913. Some of the family did go back in 1921 and came back under the name Lewinger. Trying to find birth information and marriage info

                Bertalam Lovinger b. 11/14/1869 - Jolesz,Gomor County
                Rose Lovinger (nee Greenbaum or Grinbaum or Grunbaum) b. 5/15/1874 Valy, Hungary Gomor County
                Walter - Zoltan - b. 4/10/1907 Sajotiba Hungary
                Bennie - b 1/23/1904 - Tiba
                Elsa - b. 7/4/10 Sargotalan, Hungary

                The name on the passenger manifest

                --- In mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com, Elissa Boyet <niftee@...> wrote:

                > Hi
                > I am researching the Lovinger name of my relatives that came from Hungary.
                > I have some documentation showing the town or city of birth being Jolesc and
                > some records stating Gomor and some with Tiba or Sajotiba. My relatives
                > came here to the US in 1913 and earlier.
                >

                > Thanks

              • Elissa
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 24, 2011
                  Would you have any idea as to how I might find birth records for Jolescz or Tiba where Berts kids were born

                • John
                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 24, 2011
                    >>> Would you have any idea as to how I might find birth records for Jolescz or Tiba <<<

                    More particularly, you want Jewish birth records for Jolesz and Tiba.

                    LDS FICHES (set of 6) LDS #6000786
                    Survey of parish registers in Slovakia up to the time of civil registration. Provides details of church records that are held in Slovak archives. Index of villages is on fiche #6 and page references refer to different religions. Most of these church records are available on film via your LDS Family History Center.
                  • Elissa Boyet
                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 25, 2011
                      Hi John

                      Being that they were Jewish would I still search these files?

                      Message 10 of 15 , Feb 25, 2011
                        >>> Being that they were Jewish would I still search these files? <<<

                        YES

                        *****************

                        > More particularly, you want Jewish birth records for Jolesz and Tiba.
                        >
                        > LDS FICHES (set of 6) LDS #6000786
                        > Survey of parish registers in Slovakia up to the time of civil registration.
                        > Provides details of church records that are held in Slovak archives. Index
                        > of villages is on fiche #6 and page references refer to different religions.
                        > Most of these church records are available on film via your LDS Family
                        > History Center.
                      • MagTon Media
                        Message 11 of 15 , Mar 5, 2011
                          Elissa , I have film for Jolesz. I have definitly seen Lovinger in 1869 Hungarian census for Gomor and Abauj counties . They are on films that are easy to read . You should try to look in the 1869 . There is an index somewhere of Hungarians of Jewish religions online from census .

                          Good luck ! Magda

                          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Elissa" <niftee@...> wrote:

                          > Would you have any idea as to how I might find birth records for Jolescz or Tiba where Berts kids were born
                          >
                          > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Elissa Boyet <niftee@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > HI Michael
                          > >
                          > > The info is correct but Bertalan became Bert or Bertolany on the 1921 census. Bela became Bennie. Where would I find Tiba’s records. I obtained brith date from a combination of marriage records and naturalization records
                          > >

                          > > Thanks

                        • Niftee
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jan 2, 2012
                            I have not found any of my Lovinger relatives on the 1869 census. I am looking to find the birth record of Bertalam Lovinger in Jolesz I need to see if his father had a brother who may have had a son Daniel Lovinger in Szisko. Also I am trying to find birth records on Ida, Vojtcheck (Bennie), Elsa and Ilona. There naturalizaton papers and other records listed towns of Fulek,Sajotiba, Hanva but nothing could be found. I did find a Lajos Lovinger my relative born in Gesztete in 1897 but not sure how long his parents lived there. They were married in February 1895

                            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "MagTon Media" <mag_ton@...> wrote:

                            > Elissa , I have film for Jolesz. I have definitly seen Lovinger in 1869 Hungarian census for Gomor and Abauj counties . They are on films that are easy to read . You should try to look in the 1869 . There is an index somewhere of Hungarians of Jewish religions online from census .
                            >
                            > Good luck ! Magda
                            >
                            > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Elissa" <niftee@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Would you have any idea as to how I might find birth records for Jolescz or Tiba where Berts kids were born
                            > >
                            > > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Elissa Boyet <niftee@> wrote:
                            > > >
                            > > > HI Michael
                            > > >
                            > > > The info is correct but Bertalan became Bert or Bertolany on the 1921 census. Bela became Bennie. Where would I find Tiba’s records. I obtained brith date from a combination of marriage records and naturalization records
                            > > >

                            > > > Thanks

                          • Michael Mojher
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jan 2, 2012
                              This might get your search back on track. The names of what the village are today. Jovice in 1990 was incorporated into the city of Roznava in southeast Slovakia. Sajotiba/Tiba was incorporated into Bohunovo in 1924. Jovice and Bohunovo are about 12 miles apart. Fil’akovo and Hostice are located in farthest southcentral Slovakia. They are in the “neighborhood” but not close to one another, 18 miles.

                              Jovice RV/KI gemer. 1976–1990 pričl. k o. Rožňava.
                              1773, 1786, 1808, 1877–1882 Jólesz, 1863, 1888–1913, 1927–1948 Jólész, 1873 Jolész, 1920 Jolés, 1948–1976, 1990– Jovice

                              Fiľakovo LC/BC novohrad. 1976–1990 pričl. o. Biskupice; 1988–1992 pričl. o. Bulhary.
                              1773, 1786 Fülek, Filakowo, 1808 Fülek, Filek, Filekow, 1863–1913, 1938–1945 Fülek, 1920 Fiľakovo, 1927–1938, 1945–1948 Fiľakovo, Fülek, 1948– Fiľakovo

                              Bohúňovo RV/KI gemer. 1924 pričl. o. Tiba.
                              1773, 1786, 1808, 1863–1913, 1938–1945 Lekenye, 1927–1938, 1945–1948 Lekeňa, Lekenye, 1948– Bohúňovo
                              Tiba: 1773, 1786, 1863–1902 Tiba, 1808 Tiba, Tyba, 1907–1913 Sajótiba, 1920 Tyba [-1924 Tiba]

                              Hostice RS/BC gemer.
                              1773 Gesztete, Gesztica, 1786 Gesztete, Gesticza, 1808 Gesztete, Gestice, 1863–1913, 1938–1945 Gesztete, 1920 Hostice, Gestice, 1927–1938, 1945–1948 Hostice, Gesztete, 1948– Hostice
                              Lovinger is a pretty rare name in Slovakia now. 16 listings in 8 locations in the 1995 Census.

                              --- In mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com, "MagTon Media" <mag_ton@...> wrote:

                              > Elissa , I have film for Jolesz. I have definitly seen Lovinger in 1869 Hungarian census for Gomor and Abauj counties . They are on films that are easy to read . You should try to look in the 1869 . There is an index somewhere of Hungarians of Jewish religions online from census .
                              >
                              > Good luck ! Magda
                              >
                              > --- In mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com, "Elissa" <niftee@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Would you have any idea as to how I might find birth records for Jolescz or Tiba where Berts kids were born
                              > >
                              > > --- In mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com, Elissa Boyet <niftee@> wrote:
                              > > >
                              > > > HI Michael
                              > > >
                              > > > The info is correct but Bertalan became Bert or Bertolany on the 1921 census. Bela became Bennie. Where would I find Tiba’s records. I obtained brith date from a combination of marriage records and naturalization records
                              > > >

                              > > > Thanks

                            • CurtB
                              Message 14 of 15 , Jan 2, 2012
                                Niftee,
                                There are no known surviving records of Jewish births in Jovice [modern name for Jolesz]. There are surviving records of Roman Catholics, Lutherans, and Reformed families, each included in records of three different surrounding towns. If the family is not there in the 1869 census there is probably no other way to locate the name there.

                                The great Dvorszak Gazeteer for 1877 lists the town as having 6 resident Jews but they are attached to no synagogue or recording center. Unfortunatly this gazeteer does not give names, just totals by religious group. Six people is probably just one family or two at most.

                                The indexing of the 1848 census of Jews for Hungary is still a work in progress at the JewishGen site, but I see that Gomor county is not included yet. I do not know if Gomor records for the 1848 Jewish census even exist.

                                I suggest you pursue the question with people at the JewishGen site who are much more expert at Hungarian Jewish genealogy.

                                Curt B.

                                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Niftee" <niftee@...> wrote:

                                > I have not found any of my Lovinger relatives on the 1869 census. I am looking to find the birth record of Bertalam Lovinger in Jolesz I need to see if his father had a brother who may have had a son Daniel Lovinger in Szisko. Also I am trying to find birth records on Ida, Vojtcheck (Bennie), Elsa and Ilona. There naturalizaton papers and other records listed towns of Fulek,Sajotiba, Hanva but nothing could be found. I did find a Lajos Lovinger my relative born in Gesztete in 1897 but not sure how long his parents lived there. They were married in February 1895
                                >
                                > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "MagTon Media" <mag_ton@> wrote:
                                > >

                                > > Elissa , I have film for Jolesz. I have definitly seen Lovinger in 1869 Hungarian census for Gomor and Abauj counties . They are on films that are easy to read . You should try to look in the 1869 . There is an index somewhere of Hungarians of Jewish religions online from census .
                                > >
                                > > Good luck ! Magda
                                > >
                                > > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Elissa" <niftee@> wrote:
                                > > >
                                > > > Would you have any idea as to how I might find birth records for Jolescz or Tiba where Berts kids were born

                              • CurtB
                                Message 15 of 15 , Jan 2, 2012
                                  Niftee,
                                  Another follow up to your question.
                                  Jolesz records should logically be in the records of the great synogogue of Roznava, [Rozsnyo] which was active up until the Holocaust. But LDS lists no Jewish records for Roznava even in film.
                                  A complete "Index to the Jewish vital statistic records of Slovakia", was prepared by Jordan Auslander and is available for borrowing on microfiche at Family history centers. It is film FHL INTL fiche 6414537. If any records survive, Auslander will list them.