Culture of Slovakia

  • nilo3rak
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 12, 2011
      For an overview, a little bit of then and a little bit of now, that you may find informative, especially for your narrative part of your family history, see

      http://www.everyculture.com/Sa-Th/Slovakia.html

      Carolyn
    • Sandra & John Panzitta
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 15, 2011
        Hello All,

        I have been searching high and low on ship manifests for my great-great grandmother and great-great grandmother. My gg-grandmother was Erzsabet Ladamus, widow of Janos Vidumsky, alias Demjacky. She remarried Gyorgy Gacza. I haven't been able to find Erzsabet, her daughter Anna Vidumsky alias Demjacky or second husband Gyorgy Gacza on ship manifests. Erzsabeta and Gyorgy married in 1883 in Kapusany and daughter Anna married in the US in 1888. On 1900-1920 census records Anna answered she arrived in the US between 1884-1886. Erzsabet died in the US in 1901.

        I suppose anything is possible, but searching for Ladamus, Vidumsky and Gacza has yielded no results. I thought maybe Gyorgy came to the US first and sent for Erzsabet and Anna later. It seems to me finding immigration information from the 1880's is particularly difficult.

        Is anyone else having this challenge too?

        Sandra
      • haluska
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 15, 2011
          Do you know where they were from? From what port they entered the U.S.?

          This information would narrow your search considerably and help others, help you.

          Please give further details....I have some free time.

          Dennis

          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Sandra & John Panzitta <pman40@...> wrote:

          > Hello All,
          >
          > I have been searching high and low on ship manifests for my great-great grandmother and great-great grandmother. My gg-grandmother was Erzsabet Ladamus, widow of Janos Vidumsky, alias Demjacky. She remarried Gyorgy Gacza. I haven't been able to find Erzsabet, her daughter Anna Vidumsky alias Demjacky or second husband Gyorgy Gacza on ship manifests. Erzsabeta and Gyorgy married in 1883 in Kapusany and daughter Anna married in the US in 1888. On 1900-1920 census records Anna answered she arrived in the US between 1884-1886. Erzsabet died in the US in 1901.
          >
          > I suppose anything is possible, but searching for Ladamus, Vidumsky and Gacza has yielded no results. I thought maybe Gyorgy came to the US first and sent for Erzsabet and Anna later. It seems to me finding immigration information from the 1880's is particularly difficult.
          >
          > Is anyone else having this challenge too?
          >
          > Sandra

        • Sandra & John Panzitta
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 15, 2011
            In September of 1883, they were living in the Nemcovce, Saros County. Ersa was born circa 1845 - 51, Gyorgy circa 1854 and Anna in 1874. Anna had a brother Mihaly born in 1879, but I have no record of him other than his birth, so I guess he might have immigrated. The family ended up in the coal region of Northeastern Pennsylvania. With the exception of one, all my ancestors came through New York ports. The exception came through Philadelphia. All came to Wilkes-Barre, Luzerne County, PA.

            I have a 1900 census for George and Elizabeth Gacha. According to it, they both immigrated in 1882. The census is fraught with errors - such as they were both 40 years old and married for 27 years. They did not speak English. I believe that answer to be correct! I also have a declaration of George Gacha (I assume it is his, not many identifying details on the declaration, but birth year matches up) and George says he arrived in NY on October 20, 1882.

            I have Elizabeth's church burial record from 1901 and it has she was 50 years old (birth circa 1851) and from Nemcovce, Saris. I also have a newspaper monthly death report and Elizabeth Gacsa from the same address as the one on the census died on the same day as the Alzbeta Gaca from the church record.

            Anna married at the tender age of 14 in May of 1888. So I know her mother Erzsa was in Nemcovce, Saros in September of 1883 and Anna was in Wilkes-Barre, Luzerne County in May of 1888.

            Thanks so much for taking a second look at this. I have been searching on and off for 5 years.
            Good Luck!!
            Sandra

            On Jan 15, 2011, at 5:03 PM, haluska wrote:

            > Do you know where they were from? From what port they entered the U.S.?
            >
            > This information would narrow your search considerably and help others, help you.
            >
            > Please give further details....I have some free time.
            >
            > Dennis
            >
            > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Sandra & John Panzitta <pman40@...> wrote:
            > >

            > > Hello All,
            > >
            > > I have been searching high and low on ship manifests for my great-great grandmother and great-great grandmother. My gg-grandmother was Erzsabet Ladamus, widow of Janos Vidumsky, alias Demjacky. She remarried Gyorgy Gacza. I haven't been able to find Erzsabet, her daughter Anna Vidumsky alias Demjacky or second husband Gyorgy Gacza on ship manifests. Erzsabeta and Gyorgy married in 1883 in Kapusany and daughter Anna married in the US in 1888. On 1900-1920 census records Anna answered she arrived in the US between 1884-1886. Erzsabet died in the US in 1901.
            > >
            > > I suppose anything is possible, but searching for Ladamus, Vidumsky and Gacza has yielded no results. I thought maybe Gyorgy came to the US first and sent for Erzsabet and Anna later. It seems to me finding immigration information from the 1880's is particularly difficult.
            > >
            > > Is anyone else having this challenge too?
            > >
            > > Sandra

          • haluska
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 16, 2011
              Sandra,

              From your information the village of Nemcovce was known as Taplinemetfalu in 1882, if I am not mistaken.

              Your village also is not very far from my own! My Maternal Family came
              from Remeniny,Vlaca and Matiaska which is approx.7-8 miles further east. Also Beloveza to the North and Kurimka and Jurkova Vola as well.

              Surnames:Gacza,Gacsa caught my eye in your post as I also have that name in my tree.

              Gacsa/Gotcha is a a common name in them parts.

              I spent a little time yesterday evening searching and perhaps you might try some of the neighboring village?

              Yes,on-line searches are very difficult for that time frame but Luzerne County has a wealth of information available if you should be able to nail down some solid information.

              My experience with passenger/ship lists from that time is that they do not include much useful information, but I can understand wanting to add them to your records......I have dozens in my data base with the correct names,dates and places but I cannot nail them down to the actual people I seek.

              You can E-mail me if you wish and tell me of where you have searched
              and possibly include some of the various spellings you have tried.

              Thanks,