Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] use of LDS

  • Judy (& Dr. Joe) Quashnock
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 16, 2000
      You view the films in the center. I don't know if you can make any arrangement
      to take them out of the building. The centers have microfilm and microfiche
      viewers. And they have printers to make copies of the films.

      The centers are staffed by volunteers who will help you use the equipment,
      however, the hours of operation are dependent upon their volunteer staff.

      Dr. "Q"

      johnk wrote:

      > Dr. Q gave me info about films but one question, If you order the films, do
      > they go to a LDS center and make you use a viewer there, or do the films
      > come to you and you locate a viewer and scan the films? Can anyone give me
      > the procedures involved, I'm new at this and I am learning the hard way.
      > lots of questions. I also learned that I should have kept the ability to
      > read and write Slovak as my parents had taught me. Too late now, I'm going
      > to start over.
      >
      > Thanks again
      >
      > John Kosarko

    • johnk

        > I recently ordered my first film from LDS and had extremely good luck
        > locating records for my grandmother, Helen Mutnansky, and her family. I
        was
        > very encouraged and it wasn't as difficult as I had expected. The only
        > negative point is that the viewers and hours are so limited at the LDS
        > family center in my town. There are many more people wanting to do
        research
        > than there is equipment to accommodate them. Despite this drawback, it was
        > still very worthwhile. Good luck.
        >
        > Judy

      • Andrea Vangor
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 16, 2000
          Don't worry, John -- most of what you find won't be in Slovak, but rather in
          Hungarian, or, earlier than 1840, in Latin. Those were the official
          languages used for records. Occasionally someone broke the rule and wrote
          in some Slovak dialect or other.

          You have to view the films at a Family History Center. This is listed in
          your phone book with the LDS church listings. Find out where they are in
          your area and go visit. They are separate buildings from the church, at
          least in my experience, and are staffed by volunteers, many of whom are not
          LDS. They often have lots of materials on hand in their permanent
          collection, some of which may be of help to you, like passenger lists. Best
          thing is to let them give you an orientation, and to search their website at
          home. That's a topic all by itself -- the way they have set it up is not
          intuitively obvious, in my opinion...

          > Dr. Q gave me info about films but one question, If you order the films,
          do
          > they go to a LDS center and make you use a viewer there, or do the films
          > come to you and you locate a viewer and scan the films? Can anyone give
          me
          > the procedures involved, I'm new at this and I am learning the hard way.
          > lots of questions. I also learned that I should have kept the ability to
          > read and write Slovak as my parents had taught me. Too late now, I'm
          going
          > to start over.
          >
          > Thanks again
          >
          > John Kosarko

        • John
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 16, 2000
            At 01:16 PM 12/16/00 -0800, you wrote:
            >Don't worry, John -- most of what you find won't be in Slovak, but rather in
            >Hungarian, or, earlier than 1840, in Latin. Those were the official
            >languages used for records. Occasionally someone broke the rule and wrote
            >in some Slovak dialect or other.

            If you're working in what is now Northeast Slovakia, you can run into
            periods of several years where the records were kept in Rusyn, which uses
            the Cyrillic alphabet. In my mother's village they were in Cyrillic for
            about 10 years from about 1846 to 1856. Latin and Hungarian were the other
            two languages. These were Greek Catholic church records.

            John
          • Gregory J. Kopchak
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 16, 2000
              You need to watch this Cyrillic period as the names will not look familiar
              and you can miss much information by skimming the page, not seeing your
              name, and moving on.

              It's a good idea to write the name out in Cyrillic script so you can know
              what it looks like when you hit this period. It will not look anything like
              the name as you know it.

              You can then compare your written name in Cyrillic to the records as you
              scan the pages.

              We invite everyone to join us for a Slovak Christmas at
              http://www.iarelative.com/xmas/

              Greg Kopchak
              It's All Relative
              http://www.iarelative.com

            • mjesko@webtv.net
              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 16, 2000
                Ahoj.....

                and if you're researching a Greek
                Catholic village, the entries will be in Cyrillic....

                my 2 drobny....

                Vesele Vianoce

                marko

              • Judy/Dick James
                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 18, 2000
                  At the LDS center in my town, you must stay there to use their viewers. This
                  makes viewing more complicated as there are more people wanting to use
                  viewers than there are viewers. I don't know if all centers operate the same
                  way.

                  Judy

                  > Dr. Q gave me info about films but one question, If you order the films,
                  do
                  > they go to a LDS center and make you use a viewer there, or do the films
                  > come to you and you locate a viewer and scan the films? Can anyone give
                  me
                  > the procedures involved, I'm new at this and I am learning the hard way.
                  > lots of questions. I also learned that I should have kept the ability to
                  > read and write Slovak as my parents had taught me. Too late now, I'm
                  going
                  > to start over.
                  >
                  > Thanks again
                  >
                  > John Kosarko

                • Ron Matviyak
                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 18, 2000
                    Yes, it is that way at every LDS family center of which I have heard. LDS
                    policy, I believe. Can you imagine the proliferation of bootleg copies, and
                    (just possibly) forged inserts?

                    Ron

                  • prokopz@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 14 , Dec 20, 2000
                      We would like to inform you, that Slovak Week newspaper has a SPECIAL
                      ADVERTISEMENT PROMOTION RATES, 25% discount with an order before12/31/2000,
                      7% dicsount for more than 3 times repeat and 1/4 page discount $100.00 for
                      b&w print.

                      This newspaper is well established in Slovak and business communities in USA
                      and Canada. Weekly color a b&w newspaper has 24 pages in tabloid format, 17
                      pages of which are printed in ENGLISH and 7 pages in SLOVAK LANGUAGE.
                      Find more information about the newspaper and advertisement rates at the
                      www.slovakweek.com.

                      TAKE THE CHANCE TO PROMOTE YOUR COMPANY AT THE FORUM

                      The Slovak Week newspaper is going to contribute to the "Month of Slovak
                      Culture in New York" in February with ESPECIALLY PREPARED DOUBLE ISSUE. This
                      issue will be presented at many cultural events during the month and at the
                      conference "INVEST Forum Slovakia" and will introduce to the American
                      business and investment communities the economic environment and
                      opportunities for investment in Slovakia. The conference will also prepare
                      the ground for negotiations between American businessmen and their
                      potential partners from the Visegrad countries. More information about the
                      event at the www.slovakculture.com.

                      Sincerely,

                      Pavla Kurcik
                      Advertisement Director in USA