Re: Austro-Hungary Empire / Czechoslovakia

  • John
    Message 1 of 24 , Jan 5, 2011
      >>> My father came to USA in 1905 from as best as we know, Visne-Repase, Czechoslovakia. <<<

      Current phone listings show two relevant entries:
      Gura Ján Vyšné Repaše 68, Vyšné Repaše
      Gura Jozef Vyšné Repaše 18, Vyšné Repaše
    • John
      Message 2 of 24 , Jan 5, 2011
        >>> Does anyone have any information regarding cities etc. I'm trying to find more information going back to mid 1800's for additional family members. <<<

        CHURCH RECORDS AT LATTER DAY SAINTS (MORMON) LDS FAMILY HISTORY CENTER (FHC)
        The Mormons have been microfilming historic vital records worldwide for decades as part of their mission. The Mormons make their collection available to anyone for viewing at their Family History Centers (FHC). The microfilms are stored in Salt Lake City. When you visit a center, you can "rent" a microfilm, by paying a small fee (abt. $5 per film). The center will order the film on your behalf and notify you when it arrives at their center. You can then use reserve the microfilm readers to view these records.

        There's one more thing to keep in mind about the FHC. For the most part, the FHC volunteers will know NOTHING about research in Slovakia or about the contents of the films. The volunteer may know about his/her own heritage, but that is about it. That's where you need groups like this to point you in the right direction.

        When searching for genealogical information, knowing the birth village is paramount because records are organized by village not nationally, so it is not possible to search on a national basis. It is also necessary to know the religion. To locate church records for Slovakia, knowing the village/town name, go to the LDS web site: http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp The church records cover baptisms (krsteni), marriages (sobeseni) and deaths (zomreli).

        LDS has Roman Catholic parish registers of baptisms, marriages, deaths and confirmations for VyÅ¡né RepaÅ¡e, Slovakia, formerly known as FelsÅ`-Répás, Szepes, Hungary.

        VIŠNÉ REPAŠE
        FHL INTL Film [ 1791923 Items 4-7 ]
        Krsty, manželstvá, úmrtia 1760-1830
        Birmovaní 1829, 1831
        Krsty, manželstvá, úmrtia 1831-1843
        Krsty, manželstvá, úmrtia 1844-1851
        Birmovaní 1910 Krsty 1852-1887
        Manželstvá 1852-1898
        Úmrtia 1852-1865

        FHL INTL Film [ 1791924 Items 1-3 ]
        Úmrtia 1865-1885
        Krsty 1888-1896
        Úmrtia 1885-1896

        You can go to the Latter Day Saints (LDS) web site to locate your nearest Family History Center (FHC) and determine their hours of operation. You may need to go there in person to order the film(s). In some p-laces, online ordering of films has now been implemented. In about a month, the film will arrive and you can book a film reader and begin your research.

        TRANSLATION OF HEADERS IN CHURCH RECORDS
        Go to http://www.bmi.net/~latin/ for help with church record translations.

        Happy squinting.
      • John
        Message 3 of 24 , Jan 5, 2011
          >>> Does anyone have any information regarding cities etc. I'm trying to find more information going back to mid 1800's for additional family members.<<<

          LDS has the VERY INFORMATIVE 1869 Hungarian Census available on film. Order online and view at your local LDS Family History Center.

          FelsÅ`-Répás (VyÅ¡né RepaÅ¡e) Film # 2151177 Item 3
          (cont) FelsÅ`-Répás (VyÅ¡né RepaÅ¡e) Film # 2151178 Item 1
        • John
          Message 4 of 24 , Jan 5, 2011
            >>> My father came to USA in 1905 from as best as we know, Visne-Repase, Czechoslovakia. Which at that time was considered Austro-Hungary Empire. <<<

            1910 HUNGARIAN MAP
            The old Hungarian map can be found at: http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/szepes.jpg

            Look to the mid-right side to find LOCSE in the brown area. Head northeast in the brown area to find Felsorepas. That’s your village.

            SAVE the map on YOUR computer. OPEN the map in any graphics program. CUT and PRINT the relevant section of the map. Otherwise, you just get a corner. This map uses the Hungarian village names that you will likely find in church records.
          • John
            Message 5 of 24 , Jan 5, 2011
              >>> I'm trying to find more information going back to mid 1800's for additional family members.<<<

              You may have had a couple of cousins passing through Ellis Island.

              Name Village Age Born Arrived
               Gura, Katalin  Felsorepas  18  1894 1912
               Gura, Pal  Felsorepas  45  1859 1904
               Gura, Pal  Felso Repas  40  1862 1902
            • Charles Tintera
              Message 6 of 24 , Jan 6, 2011
                That " old Hungarian map ... Szepes.jpg" always confuses the xmxm out of me.
                I've even gone as far as layering it over a modern map (no there won't be a
                1-for-1 correspondence - those maps were hand drawn).

                Is modern day Markusovce the same as "Markusfaubra" on this one?

                cvt

              • Michael Mojher
                Message 7 of 24 , Jan 6, 2011
                  1425 Markušovce SN/KI spiš. po 1877 pričl. o. Štefanovce.
                  1773 Markusfalva, Marcksdorf, Markussowcze, 1786 Markuschfalwa, Markussowce, Marksdorf, 1808 Markusfalva, Marksdorf, Markussowce, 1863–1877 Markusfalu, 1882–1888 Markusfalu és Csepánfalu, 1892–1902 Márkuscsepánfalu, 1907–1913 Márkusfalva, 1920– Markušovce

                  This are the list of names Markusovce has been known by over its history. A “falu” ending, but no “faubra”. Still if it is located on the map where Markusovce is suppose to be it should be it. When I look at the map the spelling I see is Markusfalva. Which is the spelling in 1910 for Markusovce.

                  Message 8 of 24 , Jan 7, 2011
                    Charles,
                    I don't know about that map, but when looking at films from LDS, I see Markusovce listed as MARKUSFALU, or something.
                    Markusovce is just south of Spisska Nova Ves. In fact it's so close that it might almost classify as a suburb, since SNV is a town of about 35,000.
                    Tom

                    Message 9 of 24 , Jan 9, 2011
                      Markusovce it is, but it still looks like Mar--sfab-a (@ 500%magnifacation)
                      to my astigmatism :)

                      cvt

                    • Janet Kozlay
                      Message 10 of 24 , Jan 10, 2011
                        I think you meant to say that Markusfalva looks to you like Mar-sfab-a, not
                        Markusovce. It is true that many times village names are difficult to read
                        on these old maps. I still find that Radix is the most helpful source
                        (www.bogardi.com) when you can read only a partial Hungarian village name.

                        Janet

                        Message 11 of 24 , Jan 11, 2011
                          I am new to the group and am hoping I can get some assistance with
                          researching my Hungarian roots. I am researching the last names of Richter
                          and Belnaj.

                          My maternal grandmother, Margit Richter was from Kisvarda(?) Hungary, she
                          immigrated in 1912. I have located her on Ellis Island, but have been
                          unsuccessful in going any further than that.

                          My maternal grandfather, Peter Belnaj, was from Rushkur, Hungary in 1909.
                          Ellis Island was as far back as I have been able to trace him as well. I
                          believe Rushkur is now in Serbia.

                          Neither name sounds very Hungarian to me. But I am far from an expert.

                          Any assistance would be appreciated.

                          Kathy Smith

                          Austin, Texas

                        • Michael Mojher
                          Message 12 of 24 , Jan 11, 2011
                            Kisvarda is a city in Hungary. In the northeast, near the Slovak and Ukraine borders.
                            Rushkur had not listing. But near Kisvarda is a town of Gut-kut that a search engine suggests as an alternative to Rushkur.
                            Richter as a surname sounds very German.
                            Belnaj can be found in Slovakia as Belnay.
                            You might see if there is a Hungarian genealogy group that can give you some help.

                            Message 13 of 24 , Jan 12, 2011
                              I've seen Kisvarda on the map, and am glad to receive confirmation that I more than likely identified the correct city. As for as Ruskur, since my grandfather left from what is now Croatia, I don't think the town of GutKut would be correct.

                              There is not an Hungarian group in Austin. Thanks for your help.

                              Kathy

                              Message 14 of 24 , Jan 12, 2011
                                Kathy,
                                Did a search for Ruskur in Croatia. Not found. Falling Rain site gave these three – Ruske, Ruskovac and Ruskovici. Whereas the Fuzzy Gasetteer gave these three – Cukur, Surduk and Surdup.
                                In Croatia the words “rus kur” mean a shank or rod. Google couldn’t find a place.

                                http://www.genealogylinks.net/europe/hungary/ Here is a link to many sites dealing with Hungarian genealogy. I didn’t mean for you to find a group in Austin. Rather one online, like Slovak-Roots, but for Hungarians.
                                http://www.genealogylinks.net/europe/croatia/ Here is the same sites listings for Croatian genealogy.

                                Message 15 of 24 , Jan 12, 2011
                                  The only immigration record I can find for a Margit Richter is November 28,
                                  1913. Her last residence was Kesmark in old Szepes county, Hungary, now
                                  Kesmarok, Slovakia. She was born in Nagyfrankvagasa, now Velka Frankova,
                                  north of Kesmark. Her destination was Clifton, New Jersey. Richter is a
                                  common German name in Hungary but I cannot find any who immigrated from
                                  Kisvarda. Where did you see this place name?

                                  The only immigration records I see for Belnaj/Belnay are from
                                  Liptoszentmiklos or nearby Verbicz in old Lipto county, now Liptovsky
                                  Mikulas, Slovakia. None from "Rushkur" or any place resembling that place
                                  name. Where did you see that? What has made you believe that there was a
                                  "Rushkur" in Serbia?

                                  Church records are available on microfilm through your local Family History
                                  Center for both Liptovsky Mikulas and Velka Frankova. You might also want to
                                  contact others researching the Belnaj/Belnay family on the message board at
                                  www.radixforum.com.

                                  Janet

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Jan 12, 2011
                                    Is your grandfather the Peter Belnay, born 1874, who arrived aboard the
                                    Kronprinz Wilhelm in 1903? His last residence was Verbicz (see my earlier
                                    message locating this in Lipto county) and the ship sailed from Bremen
                                    (Germany). What information do you have that your grandfather Peter left
                                    from Croatia? Obviously if you are correct, this is the wrong Peter Belnay,
                                    though I don't find anyone else with that name. The only port near Croatia
                                    during that period was Fiume, but I can't find any Belnay/Belnaj sailing out
                                    of that port. If you are quite certain that your grandfather sailed "from
                                    Croatia" and that he came from a place named Rushkur, I don't think we can
                                    be of much help.

                                    If you think you may be mistaken about the place names, and the Peter Belnay
                                    listed above is your grandfather, your grandmother Rosa and children Julius
                                    and Johann followed a few months after Peter. They are listed as Slovak from
                                    Liptoszentmiklos, destination Peter in Brooklyn NY.

                                    The family also appears in the 1910 and 1930 Censuses for Montvale NJ, and
                                    Peter's WWI registration also places them in Montvale.

                                    Janet

                                    Message 17 of 24 , Jan 13, 2011
                                      I found Peter sailing on the Carpathian arriving in New York in April 1907
                                      or 09, the writing is hard to read. On the record the last name is spelled
                                      Bilinya. His nationality is listed as Ruthenian. When I did a search on what
                                      Ruthenain was, I received several hits on a type of church, or someone who
                                      has Russian in their family. The Rushkur appears on the Ellis Island
                                      Records.

                                      Kisvarda was the name of the city my Mom told me they would write letters
                                      to. It is very possible she was born elsewhere, and then the family
                                      relocated. The destination is correct, she did reside near Clifton until she
                                      met my grandfather and they moved to Ohio.

                                      Going on the assumption that my Grandmother was born in Slovakia, how easy
                                      are those records to obtain?

                                      Message 18 of 24 , Jan 13, 2011
                                        Hungary, Szabolcs, Kisvárda - Church records

                                        Anyakönyvek, 1666-1895 Római Katólikus Egyház, Kisvárda Film Numbers: FHL INTL 623231 and FHL INTL 623232
                                        Anyakönyvek, 1771-1895 Református Egyház, Kisvárda Film Number: FHL INTL 632177

                                        These would have to ordered and view at a Family History Center (Mormon Tabernacle)

                                        Message 19 of 24 , Jan 13, 2011
                                          Peter Bilinya, born about 1891, is not the same person as Peter Belnay, born
                                          about 1874. It looks like it was the former who was your grandfather. He was
                                          from Bacskeresztur (or Bacskertes), in old Bacs-Bodrog county in Hungary,
                                          near Kula. This is now Kupusina, Serbia. Roman Catholic church records are
                                          available at your local Family History Center. However, Ruthenians were most
                                          often Greek Catholic, and those church records are not listed among the
                                          microfilms.

                                          Janet

                                          From: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com>

                                          Message 20 of 24 , Jan 14, 2011
                                            Would someone from the Greek Catholic church be familiar enough with Roman
                                            Catholic customs to be considered Roman Catholic. My Mom and her sister were
                                            raised Roman Catholic, and Peter was buried from the Roman Catholic church.
                                            Would that be common?

                                            From: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com>

                                            From: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com>

                                            Message 21 of 24 , Jan 14, 2011
                                              Kathy,
                                              Greek Catholics are part of the unified Catholic Church since 1646 when they acknowledged the pope as head of the church. They do have certain rites and practises that are unlike Roman Catholic ones, but that matters little, they are Catholic. Several of my RC ancestors were married in GC churches and were even godparents to children baptised in GC churches, and vice versa. It didn't matter to the people involved. However, in the church registers all this was duly noted,
                                              the record- keeping function was very important the to the Church.
                                              Hope the following helps.
                                              Carolyn

                                              From the Catholic Encyclopedia:
                                              In the year 1636 Vassili Tarasovitch, Bishop of Munkacs, acknowledged the pope as the head of the Church and for it he was persecuted, imprisoned, and forced to resign his see. But union with the Holy See could not be stayed by such means, and on 24 April, 1646, it was accomplished in the city of Ungvar by Peter Rostoshinski, the then Bishop of Munkacs, and George Yakusitch, Bishop of Agri (Erlau). These two bishops in solemn council, with sixty-three priests, abjured the schism and confessed themselves Greek clergy holding the Faith of Sts. Cyril and Methodius in communion with Rome. Since that time the Ruthenian people (including the Greek Slovaks) in the Kingdom of Hungary have acknowledged the pope as the visible head of the undivided Catholic Church.

                                              These Ruthenians have continued to practise their ancient Greek-Slavonic rites and usages, . . . . a few of the most salient differences may be pointed out, although a full statement will be found in the various articles on the Eastern rites, ceremonies, and vestments. The Mass itself is said in ancient Slavonic, the altar is separated from the body of the church by a high partition called the iconostasis, upon which the pictures of Christ and His Mother, as well as various saints, are placed, and the vestments of the Mass are quite different. The stole is a broad band looped around the neck and hanging straight down in front, the chasuble is cut away at the front and closely resembles the Roman cope, and instead of the maniple two broad cuffs are worn, while a broad belt takes the place of the girdle or cincture. Married men may be ordained to the diaconate and priest howl; but bishops must be celibate, nor can a deacon or priest marry after ordination. Priests impart the Sacrament of Confirmation to children immediately after baptism, and Communion is given to the laity under both forms, the consecrated species being mingled together in the chalice and administered to the communicant with a spoon. Organs are not used in their churches, and their church year follows the Julian Calendar, which is now thirteen days behind the Gregorian Calendar in use in the United States and Western Europe. Besides this, the Ruthenians (and the Russian Orthodox likewise), display the so-called "three-armed" (or Russian) cross -+. fashioned in this manner upon their churches "T and use it upon their missals, prayer-books, paintings and banners, as well as other objects. They make the sign of the cross in the reverse direction to the Roman method, and in their religious services the men and women are segregated from each other upon different sides of their churches.