use of LDS

  • John Kosarko
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 15, 2000
      Can anyone tell me how to get info from the LDS. I am trying to get
      info on the following;
      Michael Kosarko, BD 6-26-1886, Occupation Zandar, born in Kosicke
      area.
      John Kosarko, BD unknown, assuming Kosicke area
      Barbora Matikova Koverova, BD 4-3-1895 , Hrasovik, Kosicke, Slovakia
      Andrej Kover Matik, Hrasovik, Kosicke, Slovakia
      Barbora Simkova, Hrasovik, Kosicke, Slovakia
      If I plug in my name, I still get no results, I must be doing
      something wrong.

      Help please,
      John K.
    • Andrea Vangor
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 15, 2000
        Hi, John.

        Don't be disappointed, but the LDS is unlikely to have information on your
        surname. For most of us with roots in countries that were formerly behind
        the Iron Curtain, we are the pioneers in research on the surnames.

        What the LDS can do for you is to provide very inexpensive microfilms with
        church records from the town of origin in Slovakia, sometimes back to the
        early 18th century or so. You can track the family back for several
        generations.
        > Can anyone tell me how to get info from the LDS. I am trying to get
        > info on the following;
        > Michael Kosarko, BD 6-26-1886, Occupation Zandar, born in Kosicke
        > area.
        > John Kosarko, BD unknown, assuming Kosicke area
        > Barbora Matikova Koverova, BD 4-3-1895 , Hrasovik, Kosicke, Slovakia
        > Andrej Kover Matik, Hrasovik, Kosicke, Slovakia
        > Barbora Simkova, Hrasovik, Kosicke, Slovakia
        > If I plug in my name, I still get no results, I must be doing
        > something wrong.
        >
        > Help please,
        > John K.

      • Judy (& Dr. Joe) Quashnock
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 15, 2000
          The LDS really doesn't provide you information, through the Family History
          Centers, they will "facilitate" your search. You are in luck if you are
          interested in:

          Kosické Olsany records 1734-1739 film #1978938 Item 4, 1788-1904 film
          #1978719 Items 2-4, 1738-1843 film #1978939, 1817-1891 film #1978940, and
          1869-1896 film #1978941 Items 1-3.

          Kosické Hámre church records covering 1750-1830 film #1978934 Item 4,
          1797-1896 film #1978935, and 1845-1895 film #1978936 Item 1.

          Go to this site to look for microfilms:

          http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/fhlc/supermainframeset.asp?display=generalfilmsearch&columns=*,180,0

          You can rent the films about $3.50 for 4 weeks and then renew the rental a
          couple of more times, after that they films become an indefinite loan and
          stay at the center.

          Best wishes.

          Dr. "Q"

          John Kosarko wrote:

          > Can anyone tell me how to get info from the LDS. I am trying to get
          > info on the following;
          > Michael Kosarko, BD 6-26-1886, Occupation Zandar, born in Kosicke
          > area.
          > John Kosarko, BD unknown, assuming Kosicke area
          > Barbora Matikova Koverova, BD 4-3-1895 , Hrasovik, Kosicke, Slovakia
          > Andrej Kover Matik, Hrasovik, Kosicke, Slovakia
          > Barbora Simkova, Hrasovik, Kosicke, Slovakia
          > If I plug in my name, I still get no results, I must be doing
          > something wrong.
          >
          > Help please,
          > John K.
        • Judy/Dick James
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 16, 2000
            Just a note of encouragement.
            I recently ordered my first film from LDS and had extremely good luck
            locating records for my grandmother, Helen Mutnansky, and her family. I was
            very encouraged and it wasn't as difficult as I had expected. The only
            negative point is that the viewers and hours are so limited at the LDS
            family center in my town. There are many more people wanting to do research
            than there is equipment to accommodate them. Despite this drawback, it was
            still very worthwhile. Good luck.

            Judy

            > The LDS really doesn't provide you information, through the Family History
            > Centers, they will "facilitate" your search. You are in luck if you are
            > interested in:
            >
            > Kosické Olsany records 1734-1739 film #1978938 Item 4, 1788-1904 film
            > #1978719 Items 2-4, 1738-1843 film #1978939, 1817-1891 film #1978940, and
            > 1869-1896 film #1978941 Items 1-3.
            >
            > Kosické Hámre church records covering 1750-1830 film #1978934 Item 4,
            > 1797-1896 film #1978935, and 1845-1895 film #1978936 Item 1.
            >
            > Go to this site to look for microfilms:

            http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/fhlc/supermainframeset.asp?display=g
            eneralfilmsearch&columns=*,180,0

            > You can rent the films about $3.50 for 4 weeks and then renew the rental a
            > couple of more times, after that they films become an indefinite loan and
            > stay at the center.
            >
            > Best wishes.
            >
            > Dr. "Q"
            >
            > John Kosarko wrote:
            >
            > > Can anyone tell me how to get info from the LDS. I am trying to get
            > > info on the following;
            > > Michael Kosarko, BD 6-26-1886, Occupation Zandar, born in Kosicke
            > > area.
            > > John Kosarko, BD unknown, assuming Kosicke area
            > > Barbora Matikova Koverova, BD 4-3-1895 , Hrasovik, Kosicke, Slovakia
            > > Andrej Kover Matik, Hrasovik, Kosicke, Slovakia
            > > Barbora Simkova, Hrasovik, Kosicke, Slovakia
            > > If I plug in my name, I still get no results, I must be doing
            > > something wrong.
            > >
            > > Help please,
            > > John K.

          • Judy (& Dr. Joe) Quashnock
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 16, 2000
              You view the films in the center. I don't know if you can make any arrangement
              to take them out of the building. The centers have microfilm and microfiche
              viewers. And they have printers to make copies of the films.

              The centers are staffed by volunteers who will help you use the equipment,
              however, the hours of operation are dependent upon their volunteer staff.

              Dr. "Q"

            • johnk
              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 16, 2000
                Thanks to everyone for your suggestiuons on the use of LDS. I''ll put the information to work immediately

                Merry Christmas

                John Kosarko

                > Can anyone tell me how to get info from the LDS. I am trying to get
                > info on the following;
                > Michael Kosarko, BD 6-26-1886, Occupation Zandar, born in Kosicke
                > area.
                > John Kosarko, BD unknown, assuming Kosicke area
                > Barbora Matikova Koverova, BD 4-3-1895 , Hrasovik, Kosicke, Slovakia
                > Andrej Kover Matik, Hrasovik, Kosicke, Slovakia
                > Barbora Simkova, Hrasovik, Kosicke, Slovakia
                > If I plug in my name, I still get no results, I must be doing
                > something wrong.
                >
                > Help please,
                > John K.

                eGroups Sponsor

                Paid Net2phone Advertisement - Click Here!

              • johnk

                  > I recently ordered my first film from LDS and had extremely good luck
                  > locating records for my grandmother, Helen Mutnansky, and her family. I
                  was
                  > very encouraged and it wasn't as difficult as I had expected. The only
                  > negative point is that the viewers and hours are so limited at the LDS
                  > family center in my town. There are many more people wanting to do
                  research
                  > than there is equipment to accommodate them. Despite this drawback, it was
                  > still very worthwhile. Good luck.
                  >
                  > Judy

                • Andrea Vangor
                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 16, 2000
                    Don't worry, John -- most of what you find won't be in Slovak, but rather in
                    Hungarian, or, earlier than 1840, in Latin. Those were the official
                    languages used for records. Occasionally someone broke the rule and wrote
                    in some Slovak dialect or other.

                    You have to view the films at a Family History Center. This is listed in
                    your phone book with the LDS church listings. Find out where they are in
                    your area and go visit. They are separate buildings from the church, at
                    least in my experience, and are staffed by volunteers, many of whom are not
                    LDS. They often have lots of materials on hand in their permanent
                    collection, some of which may be of help to you, like passenger lists. Best
                    thing is to let them give you an orientation, and to search their website at
                    home. That's a topic all by itself -- the way they have set it up is not
                    intuitively obvious, in my opinion...

                    > Dr. Q gave me info about films but one question, If you order the films,
                    do
                    > they go to a LDS center and make you use a viewer there, or do the films
                    > come to you and you locate a viewer and scan the films? Can anyone give
                    me
                    > the procedures involved, I'm new at this and I am learning the hard way.
                    > lots of questions. I also learned that I should have kept the ability to
                    > read and write Slovak as my parents had taught me. Too late now, I'm
                    going
                    > to start over.
                    >
                    > Thanks again
                    >
                    > John Kosarko

                  • John
                    Message 9 of 14 , Dec 16, 2000
                      At 01:16 PM 12/16/00 -0800, you wrote:
                      >Don't worry, John -- most of what you find won't be in Slovak, but rather in
                      >Hungarian, or, earlier than 1840, in Latin. Those were the official
                      >languages used for records. Occasionally someone broke the rule and wrote
                      >in some Slovak dialect or other.

                      If you're working in what is now Northeast Slovakia, you can run into
                      periods of several years where the records were kept in Rusyn, which uses
                      the Cyrillic alphabet. In my mother's village they were in Cyrillic for
                      about 10 years from about 1846 to 1856. Latin and Hungarian were the other
                      two languages. These were Greek Catholic church records.

                      John
                    • Gregory J. Kopchak
                      Message 10 of 14 , Dec 16, 2000
                        You need to watch this Cyrillic period as the names will not look familiar
                        and you can miss much information by skimming the page, not seeing your
                        name, and moving on.

                        It's a good idea to write the name out in Cyrillic script so you can know
                        what it looks like when you hit this period. It will not look anything like
                        the name as you know it.

                        You can then compare your written name in Cyrillic to the records as you
                        scan the pages.

                        We invite everyone to join us for a Slovak Christmas at
                        http://www.iarelative.com/xmas/

                        Greg Kopchak
                        It's All Relative
                        http://www.iarelative.com

                      • mjesko@webtv.net
                        Message 11 of 14 , Dec 16, 2000
                          Ahoj.....

                          and if you're researching a Greek
                          Catholic village, the entries will be in Cyrillic....

                          my 2 drobny....

                          Vesele Vianoce

                          marko

                        • Judy/Dick James
                          Message 12 of 14 , Dec 18, 2000
                            At the LDS center in my town, you must stay there to use their viewers. This
                            makes viewing more complicated as there are more people wanting to use
                            viewers than there are viewers. I don't know if all centers operate the same
                            way.

                            Judy

                            > Dr. Q gave me info about films but one question, If you order the films,
                            do
                            > they go to a LDS center and make you use a viewer there, or do the films
                            > come to you and you locate a viewer and scan the films? Can anyone give
                            me
                            > the procedures involved, I'm new at this and I am learning the hard way.
                            > lots of questions. I also learned that I should have kept the ability to
                            > read and write Slovak as my parents had taught me. Too late now, I'm
                            going
                            > to start over.
                            >
                            > Thanks again
                            >
                            > John Kosarko

                          • Ron Matviyak
                            Message 13 of 14 , Dec 18, 2000
                              Yes, it is that way at every LDS family center of which I have heard. LDS
                              policy, I believe. Can you imagine the proliferation of bootleg copies, and
                              (just possibly) forged inserts?

                              Ron

                            • prokopz@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 14 , Dec 20, 2000
                                We would like to inform you, that Slovak Week newspaper has a SPECIAL
                                ADVERTISEMENT PROMOTION RATES, 25% discount with an order before12/31/2000,
                                7% dicsount for more than 3 times repeat and 1/4 page discount $100.00 for
                                b&w print.

                                This newspaper is well established in Slovak and business communities in USA
                                and Canada. Weekly color a b&w newspaper has 24 pages in tabloid format, 17
                                pages of which are printed in ENGLISH and 7 pages in SLOVAK LANGUAGE.
                                Find more information about the newspaper and advertisement rates at the
                                www.slovakweek.com.

                                TAKE THE CHANCE TO PROMOTE YOUR COMPANY AT THE FORUM

                                The Slovak Week newspaper is going to contribute to the "Month of Slovak
                                Culture in New York" in February with ESPECIALLY PREPARED DOUBLE ISSUE. This
                                issue will be presented at many cultural events during the month and at the
                                conference "INVEST Forum Slovakia" and will introduce to the American
                                business and investment communities the economic environment and
                                opportunities for investment in Slovakia. The conference will also prepare
                                the ground for negotiations between American businessmen and their
                                potential partners from the Visegrad countries. More information about the
                                event at the www.slovakculture.com.

                                Sincerely,

                                Pavla Kurcik
                                Advertisement Director in USA