Re: [S-R] SISAK OR SYSAK

  • tom geiss
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 3, 2011
      Marge,
      Just a little aside; My mother's doctor in the '30's was a doctor Syslak.
      Now, you say you have some Petruskas in your family?
      There is a Robert Petruska in youngstown , Ohio (He is head of the Sister Cities program there). His relatives are from somewhere Southeast of Spisska Nova Ves, I think?
      If you want I can give you his phone number.
      Tom
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 3, 2011
        Marjorie,
        Since your family of Sysak's is a complicated one, there are some Sysak's arriving in U.S. from the village of Myscowa in
        Galicia, a Rusyn village very close to the border with Slovakia. They are reasonably close in age to your family. I did not find your Andrew, Stephen or Miklaus though.

        Curt B.

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Marjorie" <msysakcano@...> wrote:

        > Thanks to everyone who posted a response to my query...I would still like to hear from Barb who mentioned the name SISAK in her last post...
        > I do have the birth date for Andrew Sysak as 10/18/1880...arriving in U.S. from Austria Hungary (realize could be one of several countries)in 1896...He married Justyna Oprishko on 6/1/1907 at St. Cyril and Methodius in Olyphant PA...have written to them for a record but had no response. Andrew died from a train accident in Nov. 1927....I have studied the records for Wislok Wielki (where Justyna definetely came from) extensively and can't find a record of Sysak...His parents were Michael Sysak and Marka Yarvernick...Andrew had two full brothers: Stephan Sysak who was a barber in Olyphant and Miklaus in Erie PA...he had several half brothers because his mother was the 3rd wife of Michael, his father...hope this isn't too confusing...
        > This is a great group by the way...And I appreciate all the help I have recieved here...I realize that my Sysak/Opryshko people are not Slovak...They are most likely Rusyn and/or Lemko...
        > Just to reiterate the two Slovak families I am researching (my mom's parents) are John Gonos and Pearl Petruska...
        > Thanks again...

      • Paul Sabol
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 3, 2011
          There was a fairly significant number of Petruskas in Sosujfalu, now Ruska Nova Ves all throughout the 1800s and at least up until 1895.  Not sure how common of a name that is though.  Some were godparents to my ancestors.  I think a few settled in Mahanoy City, PA where my Sabol family ended up in the early 20th century.

          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 4, 2011
            i also remember the name petruska , also sisak's and also sabol who all
            lived in mahanoy city, pa. maybe you remember magac's that is who i am.

            hmsbob

          • helene cincebeaux
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 5, 2011
              I hope this isn't a duplicate - all my messages seem to landing in my spam
              folder and i really wanted to thank people - so if you got this before - please
              let me know

              here is the message i am not sure went through

               The knowledge and talents of people in this group are amazing -

              Special thanks to Frank Plichta, Sue "Zuza" Groh and Carolyn Mudry who so kindly
              responded to my request for the Christmas Drink - this is the reply I received
              from the person who requested it for her 93 year old father and I want to share
              it

              "Thank you for this recipe.  I want to thank you especially for taking the time
              and effort to help me in my search.  I am overwhelmed by yours and everyone
              else's kindness.  God bless each and eveyone of you."

              I thought this was sooo nice!

              Happy New Year!

              helene