SISAK OR SYSAK

  • Marjorie
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 3, 2011
      Thanks to everyone who posted a response to my query...I would still like to hear from Barb who mentioned the name SISAK in her last post...
      I do have the birth date for Andrew Sysak as 10/18/1880...arriving in U.S. from Austria Hungary (realize could be one of several countries)in 1896...He married Justyna Oprishko on 6/1/1907 at St. Cyril and Methodius in Olyphant PA...have written to them for a record but had no response. Andrew died from a train accident in Nov. 1927....I have studied the records for Wislok Wielki (where Justyna definetely came from) extensively and can't find a record of Sysak...His parents were Michael Sysak and Marka Yarvernick...Andrew had two full brothers: Stephan Sysak who was a barber in Olyphant and Miklaus in Erie PA...he had several half brothers because his mother was the 3rd wife of Michael, his father...hope this isn't too confusing...
      This is a great group by the way...And I appreciate all the help I have recieved here...I realize that my Sysak/Opryshko people are not Slovak...They are most likely Rusyn and/or Lemko...
      Just to reiterate the two Slovak families I am researching (my mom's parents) are John Gonos and Pearl Petruska...
      Thanks again...
    • tom geiss
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 3, 2011
        Marge,
        Just a little aside; My mother's doctor in the '30's was a doctor Syslak.
        Now, you say you have some Petruskas in your family?
        There is a Robert Petruska in youngstown , Ohio (He is head of the Sister Cities program there). His relatives are from somewhere Southeast of Spisska Nova Ves, I think?
        If you want I can give you his phone number.
        Tom

        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 3, 2011
          Marjorie,
          Since your family of Sysak's is a complicated one, there are some Sysak's arriving in U.S. from the village of Myscowa in
          Galicia, a Rusyn village very close to the border with Slovakia. They are reasonably close in age to your family. I did not find your Andrew, Stephen or Miklaus though.

          Curt B.

          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Marjorie" <msysakcano@...> wrote:

          > Thanks to everyone who posted a response to my query...I would still like to hear from Barb who mentioned the name SISAK in her last post...
          > I do have the birth date for Andrew Sysak as 10/18/1880...arriving in U.S. from Austria Hungary (realize could be one of several countries)in 1896...He married Justyna Oprishko on 6/1/1907 at St. Cyril and Methodius in Olyphant PA...have written to them for a record but had no response. Andrew died from a train accident in Nov. 1927....I have studied the records for Wislok Wielki (where Justyna definetely came from) extensively and can't find a record of Sysak...His parents were Michael Sysak and Marka Yarvernick...Andrew had two full brothers: Stephan Sysak who was a barber in Olyphant and Miklaus in Erie PA...he had several half brothers because his mother was the 3rd wife of Michael, his father...hope this isn't too confusing...
          > This is a great group by the way...And I appreciate all the help I have recieved here...I realize that my Sysak/Opryshko people are not Slovak...They are most likely Rusyn and/or Lemko...
          > Just to reiterate the two Slovak families I am researching (my mom's parents) are John Gonos and Pearl Petruska...
          > Thanks again...

        • Paul Sabol
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 3, 2011
            There was a fairly significant number of Petruskas in Sosujfalu, now Ruska Nova Ves all throughout the 1800s and at least up until 1895.  Not sure how common of a name that is though.  Some were godparents to my ancestors.  I think a few settled in Mahanoy City, PA where my Sabol family ended up in the early 20th century.

            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 4, 2011
              i also remember the name petruska , also sisak's and also sabol who all
              lived in mahanoy city, pa. maybe you remember magac's that is who i am.

              hmsbob

            • helene cincebeaux
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 5, 2011
                I hope this isn't a duplicate - all my messages seem to landing in my spam
                folder and i really wanted to thank people - so if you got this before - please
                let me know

                here is the message i am not sure went through

                 The knowledge and talents of people in this group are amazing -

                Special thanks to Frank Plichta, Sue "Zuza" Groh and Carolyn Mudry who so kindly
                responded to my request for the Christmas Drink - this is the reply I received
                from the person who requested it for her 93 year old father and I want to share
                it

                "Thank you for this recipe.  I want to thank you especially for taking the time
                and effort to help me in my search.  I am overwhelmed by yours and everyone
                else's kindness.  God bless each and eveyone of you."

                I thought this was sooo nice!

                Happy New Year!

                helene