SURNAME LOVINGER

  • Elissa
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 3, 2011
      I am looking for information on the Lovinger Family. My great grandfather was Bert Lovinger and his brother was Max Lovinger. Bert came to the US in 1913 to join his brother Max (Miksa) in Cleveland. Max was married to Jeannette Blum. Bert according to his petition for naturalization was born on November 14 1869 in Jolesc Hungary. He married Roza Greenbaum (Grinbaum) on February 19 1895 however I do not know where. One of his children Ben Lovinger born in 1906 in Tiba, Hungary

      Max Lovinger was born in 1862 in Margitfalva, Czech Republic.

      Not sure if Jolesc is in Gomor County
      Rose Lovinger (Greenbaum) born 1874 in Vay Hungary
    • John
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 3, 2011
        >>> to his petition for naturalization was born on November 14 1869 in Jolesc Hungary. . . . One of his children . . . born in 1906 in Tiba, Hungary
        >>> born in 1862 in Margitfalva, Czech Republic.
        >>> born 1874 in Vay Hungary
        <<<

        Jólész, Jovice 48°38' N 20°33' E south of Roznava.

        Tiba 48°31' N 20°23' E southwest of Jovice, along the main road, near Gemerdka Horka.

        Margecany, Szepes Megye = county
        OLD NAMES of the village(town):
        1773 Margitfalva, Margetzan, Margecžanj, 1786 Margetzen, Margitfalwa, Margeczani, 1808 Margitfalva, Margetzan, Margičany [!], 1863â€"1902 Margitfalu, 1907â€"1913 Margitfalva, 1920â€" Margecany

        Perhaps another member can determine the status of Jewish records.
      • John
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 3, 2011
          >>> Rose Lovinger (Greenbaum) born 1874 in Vay Hungary <<<

          If your “Vay” (as found on Ellis Island), is “Vag” then Vág, Sopron, Csornai, Hungary is a possibility. However, this is a considerable distance from the other villages.
        • Elissa
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 4, 2011
            John
            There appears to be some letters in here that I can't read?