Re: [S-R] SYSAK or SISAK

  • Michael Mojher
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 2, 2011
      Marjorie,
      An Ellis Island search produced the following names. I searched for people that said they came from Wislok or anything close to that spelling.

      Stefan Cysak from Wyslok
      Justyna Sysak from Wislok
      Tekla Sysak from Wysowa

      Iwan Opryszka from Wislok, Austria
      Hania Opryszka from Wislok, Galicy (Galicia)
      Nikolaj Opryszko from Weslok, Austria
      Ornfer Opryszko from Wislok, Galicy (Galicia)
      Prokop Opryszko from Weslok, Austria

      The Justyna was not the correct age to be yours.
      Wislok Wielki, Poland was in Galicia. It is also in a Ruthenian region.

      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 3, 2011
        Hi, Marjorie,

        I'm sorry, I have next to nothing, but the one Sisak in my husband's
        tree. She was his paternal grandmother. Her name was Mary or Marie;
        she was born about 1885. She an her husband were both dead when I met
        my husband in 1973.

        In the 1920 census she and her husband "Steve" Kostelnik are listed
        as from Austria; in 1930 it says Czechoslovakia. Family lore says
        they lived in the same town in Austria, and that they were actually
        Russian. I've since been told by genealogists that they were
        probably actually "Rusyn". They were Greek Orthodox.

        They settled in Woods Run on the the north side of Pittsburgh, PA,
        and lived there most of their lives. I have lots of info on them
        there, and their children, etc.

        My husband used to hear that there were some relatives "near
        Uniontown" (PA), but he doesn't even know whether they were
        Kostelniks or Sisaks.

        I could believe that "Steve" (also "Stif Kostlnik" on one document)
        deliberately obscured his origins, for various reasons.

        Most of my research has been on ancestry.com, and I think I've pretty
        much exhausted that, as far as that family goes. For a while there,
        last year, I was getting to be a bit of an expert on Kostelniks in
        Pennsylvania! All but "mine", that is. <sigh> I believe I'll need
        to request church records to get any further. I've been procrastinating...

        I have no info on any of those other surnames in your post; sorry.

        Barb