Re: [S-R] SYSAK or SISAK

  • helene cincebeaux
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 1, 2011
      Hi Marjorie - In the Slovak Pride database I have 2 Sisak listings from Circ
      (old Saris County) which is right on the Polish border, and another from Zuberec
      in Orava - also close to the border.

      Slovak Pride has 29,367 surnames listed and villages. Added almost a thousand
      new surnames in 2010. Welcome new additions.

      helene

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 1, 2011
        Marjorie,
        My Slovak grandparents settled in Olyphant. My Dad was born in Dickerson City. The surnames are Mojher and Huray (Huraj).
        Is where you can find Andrew and Justina Sysak family in the 1920 Census. Andrew said they were from Austria and spoke Russian and Ethnically were Russian. Might be Rusyn. The street address is 1224 but the street was not on the page. Andrew said he immigrated in 1910. Ages listed – Andrew 42, Justine 34, Michael 9 Anna 8 Takla 7 Stephen 3 1/2 and John 1 month.

[...]

      • CurtB
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 1, 2011
          Marjorie,
          Do you happen to know Andrew's birth and death dates? At least approximate? There are a couple of Andrew Sysak's in the immigration indexes. Have you found naturalization records?

          Curt B.

          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 2, 2011
            Marjorie,
            An Ellis Island search produced the following names. I searched for people that said they came from Wislok or anything close to that spelling.

            Stefan Cysak from Wyslok
            Justyna Sysak from Wislok
            Tekla Sysak from Wysowa

            Iwan Opryszka from Wislok, Austria
            Hania Opryszka from Wislok, Galicy (Galicia)
            Nikolaj Opryszko from Weslok, Austria
            Ornfer Opryszko from Wislok, Galicy (Galicia)
            Prokop Opryszko from Weslok, Austria

            The Justyna was not the correct age to be yours.
            Wislok Wielki, Poland was in Galicia. It is also in a Ruthenian region.

            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 3, 2011
              Hi, Marjorie,

              I'm sorry, I have next to nothing, but the one Sisak in my husband's
              tree. She was his paternal grandmother. Her name was Mary or Marie;
              she was born about 1885. She an her husband were both dead when I met
              my husband in 1973.

              In the 1920 census she and her husband "Steve" Kostelnik are listed
              as from Austria; in 1930 it says Czechoslovakia. Family lore says
              they lived in the same town in Austria, and that they were actually
              Russian. I've since been told by genealogists that they were
              probably actually "Rusyn". They were Greek Orthodox.

              They settled in Woods Run on the the north side of Pittsburgh, PA,
              and lived there most of their lives. I have lots of info on them
              there, and their children, etc.

              My husband used to hear that there were some relatives "near
              Uniontown" (PA), but he doesn't even know whether they were
              Kostelniks or Sisaks.

              I could believe that "Steve" (also "Stif Kostlnik" on one document)
              deliberately obscured his origins, for various reasons.

              Most of my research has been on ancestry.com, and I think I've pretty
              much exhausted that, as far as that family goes. For a while there,
              last year, I was getting to be a bit of an expert on Kostelniks in
              Pennsylvania! All but "mine", that is. <sigh> I believe I'll need
              to request church records to get any further. I've been procrastinating...

              I have no info on any of those other surnames in your post; sorry.

              Barb