SYSAK or SISAK

  • Marjorie
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 1, 2011
      Barb...just saw your post with Sisak name...that is my maiden name spelled Sysak. I have been having a difficult time with my search for our Sysak roots because my grandfather Andrew Sysak was killed in an accident in his early 40's and did not really give any info to his family as far as I know. He lived in Dickson City/Olyphant PA area in the early 1900's was married to Justyna Opryshko...I have traced Justyna to Wislok Wielki (a village in present day Poland, near the Slovak border)...Andrew and Justyna had 7 children (my dad William Sysak being the youngest)...all have unfortunately passed away.
      Andrew was suppose to have been from the same village as Justyna but I cannot find evidence of this...Have found other Sisaks in US especially around Chicago area but they do not seem to think we are related...
      Hope you can shed some light on this...if not good luck in your search...Marjorie Sysak Cano...
    • helene cincebeaux
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 1, 2011
        Hi Marjorie - In the Slovak Pride database I have 2 Sisak listings from Circ
        (old Saris County) which is right on the Polish border, and another from Zuberec
        in Orava - also close to the border.

        Slovak Pride has 29,367 surnames listed and villages. Added almost a thousand
        new surnames in 2010. Welcome new additions.

        helene

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 1, 2011
          Marjorie,
          My Slovak grandparents settled in Olyphant. My Dad was born in Dickerson City. The surnames are Mojher and Huray (Huraj).
          Is where you can find Andrew and Justina Sysak family in the 1920 Census. Andrew said they were from Austria and spoke Russian and Ethnically were Russian. Might be Rusyn. The street address is 1224 but the street was not on the page. Andrew said he immigrated in 1910. Ages listed – Andrew 42, Justine 34, Michael 9 Anna 8 Takla 7 Stephen 3 1/2 and John 1 month.

[...]

        • CurtB
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 1, 2011
            Marjorie,
            Do you happen to know Andrew's birth and death dates? At least approximate? There are a couple of Andrew Sysak's in the immigration indexes. Have you found naturalization records?

            Curt B.

            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 2, 2011
              Marjorie,
              An Ellis Island search produced the following names. I searched for people that said they came from Wislok or anything close to that spelling.

              Stefan Cysak from Wyslok
              Justyna Sysak from Wislok
              Tekla Sysak from Wysowa

              Iwan Opryszka from Wislok, Austria
              Hania Opryszka from Wislok, Galicy (Galicia)
              Nikolaj Opryszko from Weslok, Austria
              Ornfer Opryszko from Wislok, Galicy (Galicia)
              Prokop Opryszko from Weslok, Austria

              The Justyna was not the correct age to be yours.
              Wislok Wielki, Poland was in Galicia. It is also in a Ruthenian region.

              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 3, 2011
                Hi, Marjorie,

                I'm sorry, I have next to nothing, but the one Sisak in my husband's
                tree. She was his paternal grandmother. Her name was Mary or Marie;
                she was born about 1885. She an her husband were both dead when I met
                my husband in 1973.

                In the 1920 census she and her husband "Steve" Kostelnik are listed
                as from Austria; in 1930 it says Czechoslovakia. Family lore says
                they lived in the same town in Austria, and that they were actually
                Russian. I've since been told by genealogists that they were
                probably actually "Rusyn". They were Greek Orthodox.

                They settled in Woods Run on the the north side of Pittsburgh, PA,
                and lived there most of their lives. I have lots of info on them
                there, and their children, etc.

                My husband used to hear that there were some relatives "near
                Uniontown" (PA), but he doesn't even know whether they were
                Kostelniks or Sisaks.

                I could believe that "Steve" (also "Stif Kostlnik" on one document)
                deliberately obscured his origins, for various reasons.

                Most of my research has been on ancestry.com, and I think I've pretty
                much exhausted that, as far as that family goes. For a while there,
                last year, I was getting to be a bit of an expert on Kostelniks in
                Pennsylvania! All but "mine", that is. <sigh> I believe I'll need
                to request church records to get any further. I've been procrastinating...

                I have no info on any of those other surnames in your post; sorry.

                Barb