Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] Digest Number 450

  • Maureen Pulignano
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 15, 2000
      > Message: 3
      > Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 11:12:12 -0500
      > From: "J. Michutka" <jmm@...>
      > Subject: naturalization & passport questions
      >
      > Two questions: Has anyone tried getting a New York Naturalization
      > Petition? I specifically want to know if there's a charge, if you were
      > billed or paid some set fee in advance. I called the NY County Clerk
      > today, and I couldn't get a clear answer from the person who took my call
      > (I don't think he could give a clear answer to "what time is it?"); very
      > frustrating.
      >
      > Second question: My great grandmother came to the US, a couple of years
      > later (1906) went back to Slovakia for a few years, and then came back to
      > the US permanently (ca. 1909). I don't think she ever became a citizen,
      > almost certainly not at this early stage. Would she have needed a passport
      > (ca. 1906) to leave the US? I tried looking this up in a couple of books
      > and on a website, but no place did anything state that even non-US-citizens
      > (resident aliens, I guess we'd call them now) had to apply for a US
      > passport. Wow, it'd be great if I could find a document like that for her!
      >
      > Thanks for any help!
      >
      > Julie Michutka
      > jmm@...

      Julie,
      Have you located her in the 1910 and 1920 census? They were the keys to finding my grandparents'
      naturalization papers (which I got through the NARA web site). Both of the census records reflect
      citizenship status. Mine were in the "applied" status in 1910 and were citizens in 1920, so I was
      able to tell NARA that they became citizens while residents of PA during that time-frame. I got the
      naturaliztion papers in 11 days from the date of my initial email! It is worth a try.
      Maureen