Wisdom of the ancestors

  • nilo3rak
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 1, 2011
      This comes from my haplogroup W website, courtesy of Mary Zucker.
      This list of ancient French Canadian Resolutions has been around for a LONG time.

      New Year Resolutions from our French Canadian Ancestors

      1. No man is truly well-educated unless he learns to spell his name at
      least three different ways within the same document. I resolve to give
      the appearance of being extremely well-educated in the coming year.
      I will also be totally inconsistent in the use of my "dit" name.

      2. I resolve to see to it that all of my children will have the same given
      names that my ancestors and cousins have used for six generations in a
      row.

      3. My age is no one's business but my own. I hereby resolve to never
      list the same age or birth year twice on any document.

      4. I resolve to have each of my children baptized in a different church or
      in a different parish. Every third child will not be baptized at all or
      will be baptized by an itinerant missionary who keeps no records.

      5. If a child should die, I will give the next child born the same name.
      Girls will all be named Marie. Marie-Josephe and Joseph-Marie will be
      good names for my children.

      6. I resolve that if my beloved wife Marie-Catherine should die, I will
      marry another Marie-Catherine. I will see that she writes her name Marie,
      Marie-Catherine, Catherine, and Catherine-Marie in different documents.

      7. I will name all the children of my second marriage with the same names
      as the children of my first marriage. Each Jean-Baptiste will thus have
      several brothers and half-brothers as well as cousins and other relatives,
      plus moi, named Jean-Baptiste, all with the same surname. Again, I will
      see that they are inconsistent in the use of the "dit" name.)

      8. If I emigrate to the U.S. I resolve to move to a new town, new county,
      or new state at least once every 10 years--just before those pesky census
      enumerators come around asking silly questions.

      9. I will make every attempt to reside in counties and towns where no
      vital records are maintained or where the courthouse burns down or floods every
      few years.

      10. I resolve to join an obscure religious cult that does not believe in
      record keeping or in participating in military service.

      11. If a census enumerator does come to my door, I'll loan him my pen,
      which has been dipped in rapidly fading blue ink. I will also find that I can
      only guess at my children's ages and even their names.

      12. I will not take pictures of the family. If I do, I will not identify
      the people in the photos. If anyone does not know who the people are, they
      have no business nosing through the album.

      13. I resolve not to make a will. Who needs to spend money on a lawyer?

      This applies to all my Carpathian - Slovak, Polish, Unkrainian, Jewish, Lemko -
      ancestors in that mostly unrecorded, impenetrable old Hungarian Kingdom.
      I am going blind reading old records, as well as slightly crazy for all the above
      mentioned reasons.
      Carolyn

      Happy New Year to all, and may you find all the family that surprises and delights you, as well as filling your family databases to overflowing!
    • B A Kostelnik
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 1, 2011
        This, I like!

        Barb Kostelnik
        who is not quite ready to go back to working on the SISAK and
        KOSTELNIK ancestors of her husband.

      • JOHN MITRICSKA
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 2, 2011
          Isn't this the truth!!!