Family??

  • tom geiss
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 30, 2010
      Here's an interesting possible success story for the end of the year. Last fall I had written to someone (in Slovak) In Brezovica Nad Torysou. A month or so later I received a reply from an 89 year old man there, Who remembers my family very well.
      I had a little trouble with his handwriting, so I searched around until I finally found a Czech man who had some Slovak friends, to translate it for me.
      Anyway , in the letter he gave several names that the girls had married. One of them was a JAN BRADOVKA,
      living at a particular address in Kosice. (I don't know how the man got the address, unless he had corresponded with him?) He had had 1 son.
      I checked the Slovak White Pages, and found that there is still a Jan Bradovka living there. So I have sent a short note to him in my limited Slovak, along with a copy of the letter from Brezovica. I am reasonably certain that this person is my distant cousin?? And, I figure that I may very well know more about the family there than he does???
      Tom

    • William
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 30, 2010
        On 12/30/2010 4:52 PM, tom geiss wrote:

        > Here's an interesting possible success story for the end of the year.
        > Last fall I had written to someone (in Slovak) In Brezovica Nad
        > Torysou. A month or so later I received a reply from an 89 year old
        > man there, Who remembers my family very well.
        > I had a little trouble with his handwriting, so I searched around
        > until I finally found a Czech man who had some Slovak friends, to
        > translate it for me.
        > Anyway , in the letter he gave several names that the girls had
        > married. One of them was a JAN BRADOVKA,
        > living at a particular address in Kosice. (I don't know how the man
        > got the address, unless he had corresponded with him?) He had had 1 son.
        > I checked the Slovak White Pages, and found that there is still a Jan
        > Bradovka living there. So I have sent a short note to him in my
        > limited Slovak, along with a copy of the letter from Brezovica. I am
        > reasonably certain that this person is my distant cousin?? And, I
        > figure that I may very well know more about the family there than he
        > does???
        > Tom

        Tom, What is the name of the 89 year old man in Brezovica nad Torysu?
        I am asking since I took my 93 year old sister in law to Brezovica this
        past November. She had been born there, came to the US at the age of 4,
        and had never been back. We went to the Town Hall, spoke with several
        people there and obtained a copy of her birth certificate. We were told
        that there was a 90 year old man, who was the oldest man in town, and
        had the same name as my sister in law's maiden name. We visited with
        him but were unable to establish a family connection, though he did tell
        us that his father and an uncle went to the US. Unfortunately, he could
        tell us nothing further.

        Bill Brna