Re: [S-R] Ruthenian/Ukrainian Surnames

  • Michael Mojher
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 20, 2010
      RUTHENIAN/UKRAINIAN SURNAMES

      Earliest surnames were taken from birds, animals and occupations. There are
      4 main types of Ruthenian/Ukrainian surnames: those taken from (1) first
      names, (2) place names, (3) occupations and/or social status, and (4)
      personal characteristics. Names written in Cyrillic alphabet cannot be
      directly translated into Polish or English; therefore, these are only
      approximations.

      -ak, -chak, -chuk, and -uk, with the most popular being -enko, -chuk
      and -uk. All mean "son of." They are used with Christian names, surnames,
      and occupational names. For example, "Petrenko" is the "son of Petro
      (Peter)." Peter's wife would be known as "Petrykha," and a matronymic
      surname would be "Petryshyn," "son of Peter's wife."

      Surnames deriving from place names are of two kinds:

      (1) the place where an ancestor came from or was residing, and

      (2) the ethnic, national, or tribal origin of an ancestor. For example,
      "Zabolotnyj" is "one who lived beyond the marsh." "Wolyniak" probably came
      from the Volyn (Volhynia) region. "Tataryn" had a Tatar ancestor. "Boychuk"
      is from the "Boyko," an ancient Slavic tribe of Trans-Carpathia. Ukrainian
      nobility took their surnames from their estates or the localities they
      administered and added -cky, -sky, -skij, -skyj, and -zky (much like the
      Polish nobility who added -cki and -ski.) Adjectival surnames use the
      sufixes -ck-, -sk- and -zk-, and have the endings -yj or -ij for the
      masculine and -a or -ia for the feminine. Occupations and the social status
      of people greatly influenced surnames. Therefore, Ukrainian (Ruthenian)
      surnames may give a clue to the occupation of one of your early ancestors;
      for example, "Tkach" (the weaver), "Kravets" (the tailor), "Pekar" (the
      baker) and "Spivak" ) the singer.

      Other surname endings
      are -ar, -is, -iy, -ka, -kar, -man, -nik, -nyk, -sur, -un, -yk, and -ylo.
      The most typical Ukrainian surname ending is -enko, which is not found in
      any other ethnic group, and is commonly found in central and eastern
      Ukraine.

      From: mgmojher@...
      Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2010 08:56:04 -0800

      Curt,
      Thanks for the lesson.
      It shows how well how political borders may be fluid. But a ethnic homeland
      does not recognize them. So when doing genealogy research one may have to
      expand the area of the search beyond modern boundaries. And it is certainly
      worth while doing some reading of history of the area you are searching.