Ivanco vs Ivanko

  • Michael Mojher
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 17, 2010
      Curt,
      There certainly are more Ivanko listings. Twelve of the 15 listings were for double worded surnames. Certainly, the number of listings for Ivanko is greater than all of them. But, the Ivanco listing were in places that were much more Rusyn than those of Ivanko. And that was a question asked, was Evancho a Rusyn name.

    • Fred G Kovalyak
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 17, 2010
           I hope to find out soon ?
               Fred

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 17, 2010
          Michael,
          What makes everyone believe that the name is Rusyn is that the girl is publicly announced as if the name were spelled EVANKO, even though written Evancho in English. So getting back into Slovak or Rusyn is tricky, and has to be done more by pronunciation that by English spelling. Also when dealing with Rusyn names, remember that you also have to look in the Ukrainian telephone directories. The Slovak population database of 1995 is biased against Rusyn names since it excludes the vast Rusyn area that today is in the Ukraine, but was part of Czecho-Slovakia before WWII.

          CB

          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 17, 2010
            Curt,
            My guide to the name being Rusyn or not was to see which orkes it was located in. Since the Rusyn tend to in the far northern eastern orkes I searched for those. I was looking for “clues” and nothing definitive.
            This exercise shows that history may change the political boundaries, but it cannot erase the ethnic or social ones as easily. Unfortunately, we have to lives with the consequences of those political boundaries. Lands which were once in Czechoslovakia are now in the Ukraine because Slovakia was an “ally” of Germany in WW II. And giving up a piece of Slovakia was the price to pay. Now all of those previous Slovak villages and records are so much more difficult to access.
            As with any endeavor, we can only use the “tools” available to achieve our goal. If all goes well each “tool” does its job. What is important is to have a very good “Toolbox”. Thanks Bill.

            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 17, 2010
              Michael,
              Wow, I guess there are really differing perceptions of history when it comes to the Rusyns. Karpatska Rus, as the Rusyns call it, was never part of Slovakia. This part of old Hungary was placed in Czecho-Slovakia as an independent entity in the treaty of Trianon in 1918 and was governed by Gregory Zatkovich until the second world war. It was retaken by Hungary in the Vienna accords, though declared its independence in 1939. It refused to be placed back into Czechoslovakia and was then forcibly joined to the Ukraine in 1945 with a promise of autonomy that was quickly forgotten.

              While the old Rusyn villages in the northeast Slovakia were historic centers of Rusyn life, the largest concentrations of people in Slovakia who identify as Rusyns today are in the cities of Presov, Kosice, and Bratislava. That's why you find so many Rusyn names there now, and where the three Greek Catholic bishops reside.

              The Ivanko surname is far more common in Karpatska region and Lemko Poland than it is in Slovakia. Getting a handle on the Rusyn names and their distribution requires searching all three Polish, Ukrainian, and Slovak databases.

              Curt B.

              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 18, 2010
                Curt,
                Thanks for the lesson.
                It shows how well how political borders may be fluid. But a ethnic homeland does not recognize them. So when doing genealogy research one may have to expand the area of the search beyond modern boundaries. And it is certainly worth while doing some reading of history of the area you are searching.

                Wow, I guess there are really differing perceptions of history when it comes to the Rusyns. Karpatska Rus, as the Rusyns call it, was never part of Slovakia. This part of old Hungary was placed in Czecho-Slovakia as an independent entity in the treaty of Trianon in 1918 and was governed by Gregory Zatkovich until the second world war. It was retaken by Hungary in the Vienna accords, though declared its independence in 1939. It refused to be placed back into Czechoslovakia and was then forcibly joined to the Ukraine in 1945 with a promise of autonomy that was quickly forgotten.

                While the old Rusyn villages in the northeast Slovakia were historic centers of Rusyn life, the largest concentrations of people in Slovakia who identify as Rusyns today are in the cities of Presov, Kosice, and Bratislava. That's why you find so many Rusyn names there now, and where the three Greek Catholic bishops reside.

                The Ivanko surname is far more common in Karpatska region and Lemko Poland than it is in Slovakia. Getting a handle on the Rusyn names and their distribution requires searching all three Polish, Ukrainian, and Slovak databases.

                Curt B.

                --- In mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com, "Michael Mojher" <mgmojher@...> wrote:

                > Curt,
                > My guide to the name being Rusyn or not was to see which orkes it was located in. Since the Rusyn tend to in the far northern eastern orkes I searched for those. I was looking for “clues” and nothing definitive.
                > This exercise shows that history may change the political boundaries, but it cannot erase the ethnic or social ones as easily. Unfortunately, we have to lives with the consequences of those political boundaries. Lands which were once in Czechoslovakia are now in the Ukraine because Slovakia was an “ally” of Germany in WW II. And giving up a piece of Slovakia was the price to pay. Now all of those previous Slovak villages and records are so much more difficult to access.
                > As with any endeavor, we can only use the “tools” available to achieve our goal. If all goes well each “tool” does its job. What is important is to have a very good “Toolbox”. Thanks Bill.

              • Evelyn Marsh
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 18, 2010
                  Curt, Michael & others,
                  Thanks for the information - my great grandfather was Juraj Palecsko born (abt 1822) in Hromos, Slovakia - but I can't find much info on his father & mother - I will now look at other areas - grandmother Anna Palecsko (b 1871, Hromos) was Greek Catholic and, growing up I thought she must be Russian because of the funny letters in her newspaper - I believe now she was Rusyn. I understand that the 'ko' ending is common in Rusyn. No one remembers that name in Hromos today. He married Anna Elias-Pistey in 1867 in Hromos. If anyone comes across that name, please let me know.
                  Many thanks,
                  Evelyn

                  To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
                  From: mgmojher@...
                  Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2010 08:56:04 -0800
                  Subject: Re: [S-R] Re: Ivanco vs. Ivanko

                  Curt,
                  Thanks for the lesson.
                  It shows how well how political borders may be fluid. But a ethnic homeland does not recognize them. So when doing genealogy research one may have to expand the area of the search beyond modern boundaries. And it is certainly worth while doing some reading of history of the area you are searching.

                  Wow, I guess there are really differing perceptions of history when it comes to the Rusyns. Karpatska Rus, as the Rusyns call it, was never part of Slovakia. This part of old Hungary was placed in Czecho-Slovakia as an independent entity in the treaty of Trianon in 1918 and was governed by Gregory Zatkovich until the second world war. It was retaken by Hungary in the Vienna accords, though declared its independence in 1939. It refused to be placed back into Czechoslovakia and was then forcibly joined to the Ukraine in 1945 with a promise of autonomy that was quickly forgotten.

                  While the old Rusyn villages in the northeast Slovakia were historic centers of Rusyn life, the largest concentrations of people in Slovakia who identify as Rusyns today are in the cities of Presov, Kosice, and Bratislava. That's why you find so many Rusyn names there now, and where the three Greek Catholic bishops reside.

                  The Ivanko surname is far more common in Karpatska region and Lemko Poland than it is in Slovakia. Getting a handle on the Rusyn names and their distribution requires searching all three Polish, Ukrainian, and Slovak databases.

                  Curt B.

                  --- In mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com, "Michael Mojher" <mgmojher@...> wrote:

                  > Curt,
                  > My guide to the name being Rusyn or not was to see which orkes it was located in. Since the Rusyn tend to in the far northern eastern orkes I searched for those. I was looking for ���clues��� and nothing definitive.
                  > This exercise shows that history may change the political boundaries, but it cannot erase the ethnic or social ones as easily. Unfortunately, we have to lives with the consequences of those political boundaries. Lands which were once in Czechoslovakia are now in the Ukraine because Slovakia was an ���ally��� of Germany in WW II. And giving up a piece of Slovakia was the price to pay. Now all of those previous Slovak villages and records are so much more difficult to access.
                  > As with any endeavor, we can only use the ���tools��� available to achieve our goal. If all goes well each ���tool��� does its job. What is important is to have a very good ���Toolbox���. Thanks Bill.

                • Sam Mag
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 18, 2010
                    My g. grandfather's second wife was an Evan when they married in America, "Ivan"
                    on her daughters birth certificate. I found they came from the same village of
                    Somos in Kosice. When I dug into the Somos records and all of the surrounding
                    areas I was amazed at what a great number of families shared this name and all
                    of the different variations of spelling. I am not sure of Rusyn roots as I
                    think they were Slovak but from the stories I have heard they used the phrase
                    "white russian" now and again for her side of the family. Not sure what that
                    means but all of the info on this topic was interesting to read, thanks.

                    ________________________________

                    wrote:

                    > Curt,
                    > My guide to the name being Rusyn or not was to see which orkes it was located
                    >in. Since the Rusyn tend to in the far northern eastern orkes I searched for
                    >those. I was looking for “clues” and nothing definitive.
                    >
                    > This exercise shows that history may change the political boundaries, but it
                    >cannot erase the ethnic or social ones as easily. Unfortunately, we have to
                    >lives with the consequences of those political boundaries. Lands which were once
                    >in Czechoslovakia are now in the Ukraine because Slovakia was an “ally” of
                    >Germany in WW II. And giving up a piece of Slovakia was the price to pay. Now
                    >all of those previous Slovak villages and records are so much more difficult to
                    >access.
                    >
                    > As with any endeavor, we can only use the “tools” available to achieve our
                    >goal. If all goes well each “tool” does its job. What is important is to have a
                    >very good “Toolbox”. Thanks Bill.

                  • Sam Mag
                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 18, 2010
                      My apologies Somos in Presov not Kosice.

                      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Sam Mag <sammag30@...> wrote:

                      > My g. grandfather's second wife was an Evan when they married in America, "Ivan"
                      > on her daughters birth certificate. I found they came from the same village of
                      > Somos in Kosice. When I dug into the Somos records and all of the surrounding
                      > areas I was amazed at what a great number of families shared this name and all
                      > of the different variations of spelling. I am not sure of Rusyn roots as I
                      > think they were Slovak but from the stories I have heard they used the phrase
                      > "white russian" now and again for her side of the family. Not sure what that
                      > means but all of the info on this topic was interesting to read, thanks.
                      >

                      > ________________________________

                    • Margo Smith
                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 18, 2010
                        Sam, I grew up in Sea Cliff, NY, in the 40s and 50s where the predominant ethnic
                        group was Russian emigres.  My parents referred to them as "white Russian" which
                        I later learned was Belorussian.  As for religion, they were Russian Orthodox.

                        Margo

                        ________________________________

                        wrote:

                        > Curt,
                        > My guide to the name being Rusyn or not was to see which orkes it was located
                        >in. Since the Rusyn tend to in the far northern eastern orkes I searched for
                        >those. I was looking for “clues” and nothing definitive.
                        >
                        > This exercise shows that history may change the political boundaries, but it
                        >cannot erase the ethnic or social ones as easily. Unfortunately, we have to
                        >lives with the consequences of those political boundaries. Lands which were once
                        >
                        >in Czechoslovakia are now in the Ukraine because Slovakia was an “ally” of
                        >Germany in WW II. And giving up a piece of Slovakia was the price to pay. Now
                        >all of those previous Slovak villages and records are so much more difficult to

                        >access.
                        >
                        > As with any endeavor, we can only use the “tools” available to achieve our
                        >goal. If all goes well each “tool” does its job. What is important is to have a

                        >very good “Toolbox”. Thanks Bill.

                      • Michael Mojher
                        Message 11 of 11 , Dec 20, 2010
                          RUTHENIAN/UKRAINIAN SURNAMES

                          Earliest surnames were taken from birds, animals and occupations. There are
                          4 main types of Ruthenian/Ukrainian surnames: those taken from (1) first
                          names, (2) place names, (3) occupations and/or social status, and (4)
                          personal characteristics. Names written in Cyrillic alphabet cannot be
                          directly translated into Polish or English; therefore, these are only
                          approximations.

                          -ak, -chak, -chuk, and -uk, with the most popular being -enko, -chuk
                          and -uk. All mean "son of." They are used with Christian names, surnames,
                          and occupational names. For example, "Petrenko" is the "son of Petro
                          (Peter)." Peter's wife would be known as "Petrykha," and a matronymic
                          surname would be "Petryshyn," "son of Peter's wife."

                          Surnames deriving from place names are of two kinds:

                          (1) the place where an ancestor came from or was residing, and

                          (2) the ethnic, national, or tribal origin of an ancestor. For example,
                          "Zabolotnyj" is "one who lived beyond the marsh." "Wolyniak" probably came
                          from the Volyn (Volhynia) region. "Tataryn" had a Tatar ancestor. "Boychuk"
                          is from the "Boyko," an ancient Slavic tribe of Trans-Carpathia. Ukrainian
                          nobility took their surnames from their estates or the localities they
                          administered and added -cky, -sky, -skij, -skyj, and -zky (much like the
                          Polish nobility who added -cki and -ski.) Adjectival surnames use the
                          sufixes -ck-, -sk- and -zk-, and have the endings -yj or -ij for the
                          masculine and -a or -ia for the feminine. Occupations and the social status
                          of people greatly influenced surnames. Therefore, Ukrainian (Ruthenian)
                          surnames may give a clue to the occupation of one of your early ancestors;
                          for example, "Tkach" (the weaver), "Kravets" (the tailor), "Pekar" (the
                          baker) and "Spivak" ) the singer.

                          Other surname endings
                          are -ar, -is, -iy, -ka, -kar, -man, -nik, -nyk, -sur, -un, -yk, and -ylo.
                          The most typical Ukrainian surname ending is -enko, which is not found in
                          any other ethnic group, and is commonly found in central and eastern
                          Ukraine.