Evancho Surname in Slovakia

  • Michael Mojher
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 17, 2010
      I looked in the 1995 Slovak Census date base for Evancho. There were no listings by that spelling.
      The alternative – Ivanco was given. It has possible Rusyn roots. Orkes Svidnik had 32 listings. Orkes Bardejov had 31 listings. And Orkes Humenne had 29 listings.

    • Elaine Powell
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 17, 2010
        Evancho would have represented the sound of the name in English when
        they came to America. In the Slovak church records, the Hungarian
        spelling most likely would have been Ivancso. I have seen it
        occasionally in the records I'm reviewing for various towns in eastern
        Slovakia. The capital I letter can be hard to decipher.

        Elaine P.

        On Dec 17, 2010, at 11:56 AM, Michael Mojher wrote:

        > I looked in the 1995 Slovak Census date base for Evancho. There were
        > no listings by that spelling.
        > The alternative � Ivanco was given. It has possible Rusyn roots.
        > Orkes Svidnik had 32 listings. Orkes Bardejov had 31 listings. And
        > Orkes Humenne had 29 listings.

      • CurtB
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 17, 2010
          Michael & Elaine,
          While there may be a name spelled Evancso in some Hungarian records, in Rusyn records it is spelled Ivanko, which apparently is how it is pronounced by this girl's family. Check the Slovak database under Ivanko and you will also find a lot of entries.

          Curt B.