Family Tree Program

  • Milan
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 13, 2010
      I have alot of family history information and am thinking of putting it on a family tree to make it easier to see the relationships.

      In the past I have purchased programs that created more problems than they solved.

      So I thought I'd ask the experts or at least someone that has experience what programs do you recommend or don't recommend.

      Milan
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 14, 2010
        Hello Milan,

        I have used the free program from the FHL, Personal Ancestral File for about
        eight years. Make sure whatever one you pick, it has the ability to import
        and export from/to the standard "GED' format, which allows you to share with
        other people.

        You can download it from here:
        http://www.familysearch.org/eng/default.asp

        PAF Companion is also another worthy add-on to the basic PAF. It generates
        many different types of reports and charts. Again, it's free, and available
        from the same site.

        It's a refreshing change from the other for-sale products that are
        constantly pestering you to buy something else.

        Good Luck.

        Bill

        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 14, 2010
          I have been using Family Tree Marker since they and I had no problems with it.
          But there some real good out there too.

          Jerry

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 14, 2010
            I have used Family Origins for many years and have never had any problems with it...  The program allows you to see the exact relationship with any two people listed in your data base simply by clicking "show relationship".  Milan

            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 14, 2010
              I use Family Tree Maker. I had upgraded from 2002 to 2009 with no problems. I wasn't looking for any new bells or whistles but wanted something more recent for some technical support if needed. I don't need the lastest version just because it is there and am happy with what I have. With this program, I am listed as the researcher so anytime I choose another name, it will tell me the relation immediately.

              Cheryl Moser

              To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com

              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 14, 2010
                Just a word to the wise about Family Tree Maker. It still is not unicode compliant, that is, it will not accept all diacritic marks used in central European languages like Slovak (but does accept just a few of them) and will not accept any character in Cyrillic alphabet, or any non roman alphabet. Thus you will not be able to do extensive or accurate work with Slovak names.

                If you intend to do work in Slovak or citations of central European names and places make sure whatever program you use is unicode compliant.

                Curt B.

                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, CHERYL MOSER <cheryl2220@...> wrote:

                > I use Family Tree Maker. I had upgraded from 2002 to 2009 with no problems. I wasn't looking for any new bells or whistles but wanted something more recent for some technical support if needed. I don't need the lastest version just because it is there and am happy with what I have. With this program, I am listed as the researcher so anytime I choose another name, it will tell me the relation immediately.
                >
                > Cheryl Moser
                >

                > To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
                > From: jwaters002@...
                > Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 07:36:05 -0800
                > Subject: Re: [S-R] Family Tree Program
                >

                > I have been using Family Tree Marker since they and I had no problems with it.
                > But there some real good out there too.
                >
                > Jerry
                >
                > ________________________________

              • Julie Mark
                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 14, 2010
                  I too have used FTM for 11 years now and it's been great. I have not put
                  any diacritical or Cyrillic characters in it.

                  Just a word to the wise about Family Tree Maker. It still is not unicode
                  compliant, that is, it will not accept all diacritic marks used in central
                  European languages like Slovak (but does accept just a few of them) and will
                  not accept any character in Cyrillic alphabet, or any non roman alphabet.
                  Thus you will not be able to do extensive or accurate work with Slovak
                  names.

                  If you intend to do work in Slovak or citations of central European names
                  and places make sure whatever program you use is unicode compliant.

                  Curt B.

                  , CHERYL MOSER <cheryl2220@...> wrote:

                  > I use Family Tree Maker. I had upgraded from 2002 to 2009 with no
                  problems. I wasn't looking for any new bells or whistles but wanted
                  something more recent for some technical support if needed. I don't need the
                  lastest version just because it is there and am happy with what I have. With
                  this program, I am listed as the researcher so anytime I choose another
                  name, it will tell me the relation immediately.

                  > Cheryl Moser
                  >

                  > To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com>
                  > From: jwaters002@...
                  > Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 07:36:05 -0800
                  > Subject: Re: [S-R] Family Tree Program
                  >

                  > I have been using Family Tree Marker since they and I had no problems with
                  it.
                  > But there some real good out there too.
                  >
                  > Jerry
                  >
                  > ________________________________

                • Anabeth Dollins
                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 14, 2010
                    Family Origins is now RootsMagic. You can get a free version of it at
                    rootsmagic.com

                    The recent versions show diacritics.

                    Wonderfully intuitive -- easy to use. The author is on the RootsMagic Yahoo
                    group mailing list and personally answers questions when he needs to.
                    Everybody on the list is very helpful to newbies.

                    Anabeth

                    On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 9:40 AM, MILAN HUBA <illy@...> wrote:

                    > I have used Family Origins for many years and have never had any problems
                    > with it... The program allows you to see the exact relationship with any
                    > two people listed in your data base simply by clicking "show relationship".
                    > Milan
                    >
                    > --- On Mon, 12/13/10, Milan <coolkeytool@... <coolkeytool%40yahoo.ca>>
                    > wrote:
                    >
                    > From: Milan <coolkeytool@... <coolkeytool%40yahoo.ca>>
                    >
                    > Subject: [S-R] Family Tree Program
                    > To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com <SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com>
                    > Date: Monday, December 13, 2010, 9:04 PM
                    >

                    > I have alot of family history information and am thinking of putting it on
                    > a family tree to make it easier to see the relationships.
                    >
                    > In the past I have purchased programs that created more problems than they
                    > solved.
                    >
                    > So I thought I'd ask the experts or at least someone that has experience
                    > what programs do you recommend or don't recommend.
                    >
                    > Milan

                  • Frank R Plichta
                    Message 9 of 16 , Dec 14, 2010
                      RootsMagic costs $29.95. Only the trial version is free.

                      Check out the differences at:
                      http://www.rootsmagic.com/RootsMagic/Features.aspx

                      If you like to email reports the free version will not allow that. You can
                      print however and use snail mail.

                      Frank

                      _____

                      <mailto:illy%40flash.net> > wrote:

                      > I have used Family Origins for many years and have never had any problems
                      > with it... The program allows you to see the exact relationship with any
                      > two people listed in your data base simply by clicking "show
                      relationship".
                      > Milan
                      >
                      > --- On Mon, 12/13/10, Milan <coolkeytool@...
                      <mailto:coolkeytool%40yahoo.ca> <coolkeytool%40yahoo.ca>>

                    • MEMcDTT@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 16 , Dec 14, 2010
                        Try Legacy, there is a free download at Millennia.
                        It works very well and was easy to learn.
                        Mike McDermott

                      • CurtB
                        Message 11 of 16 , Dec 15, 2010
                          Anabeth,
                          RootsMagic and Ancestral Quest [which is the new windows interface of PAF] are two of the best new genealogical programs available. They both have not just available diacritics, but are fully unicode language compliant. One can happily type away in any language or alphabet in any part of the program which is really important to those of us who have Slovak ancestors, want to spell Slovak cities and names correctly or who want to put quotes from Hungarian church notes etc. I've just added some notes from Rusyn church records in the Rusyn alphabet.

                          At last, a few of these programs are fully able to cope with those of us who have families that cross cultural and language borders.

                          Curt B

                          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Anabeth Dollins <anabeth@...> wrote:

                          > Family Origins is now RootsMagic. You can get a free version of it at
                          > rootsmagic.com
                          >
                          > The recent versions show diacritics.
                          >
                          > Wonderfully intuitive -- easy to use. The author is on the RootsMagic Yahoo
                          > group mailing list and personally answers questions when he needs to.
                          > Everybody on the list is very helpful to newbies.
                          >
                          > Anabeth
                          >
                          > On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 9:40 AM, MILAN HUBA <illy@...> wrote:
                          >

                          > > I have used Family Origins for many years and have never had any problems
                          > > with it... The program allows you to see the exact relationship with any
                          > > two people listed in your data base simply by clicking "show relationship".
                          > > Milan
                          > >
                          > > --- On Mon, 12/13/10, Milan <coolkeytool@... <coolkeytool%40yahoo.ca>>
                          > > wrote:
                          > >
                          > > From: Milan <coolkeytool@... <coolkeytool%40yahoo.ca>>
                          > >
                          > > Subject: [S-R] Family Tree Program
                          > > To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com <SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com>
                          > > Date: Monday, December 13, 2010, 9:04 PM
                          > >

                          > > I have alot of family history information and am thinking of putting it on
                          > > a family tree to make it easier to see the relationships.
                          > >
                          > > In the past I have purchased programs that created more problems than they
                          > > solved.
                          > >
                          > > So I thought I'd ask the experts or at least someone that has experience
                          > > what programs do you recommend or don't recommend.
                          > >
                          > > Milan

                        • Elaine E.
                          Message 12 of 16 , Dec 15, 2010
                            I have used Family Tree Maker since around 2001, and I have been able to put
                            Hungarian diacritical marks in it, such as for entering names as they
                            appeared in the 1869 Hungarian census. I have been able to enter French
                            diacritical marks as well. Never tried Slovak marks, tho.

                            One feature I like about Family Tree Maker is that I can have 2 family trees
                            open at the same time. I like to keep an "everyone" family tree, plus an
                            "only non-living" tree for uploading to the internet. (I guess I trust no
                            one, and don't trust the options that claim to exclude living members). So
                            as I enter data from old historical records, I like to enter it into both
                            trees at one time. I tried using PAF recently, and some other software
                            longer ago (unfortunately I don't remember which one), and if I tried to
                            open a 2nd family tree, it would close the first one, so I could only work
                            with one version of the tree at a time.

                            One drawback with FTM is that to use the upload feature, well, I can only
                            upload 2000 individuals, no more, in my 2005 FTM. (Does anyone know if this
                            limit has been raised with later versions?) I wanted to upload more than
                            that. So I'm now exporting a GEDCOM file and uploading it to Rootsweb's
                            free WorldConnect, http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/ . The disadvantage with
                            that is that I cannot upload pictures, as I can with FTM's upload.

                          • CurtB
                            Message 13 of 16 , Dec 15, 2010
                              Yes, FTM has a limited set of diacritics that it will accept. It will do all of French and all of German. But not all of Hungarian, not all of Polish,not all of Czech, not all of Slovak, etc. and of course, none of the non Roman alphabets, like the cyrillic used in Ukrainian and Russian, or Greek, or Hebrew, or any other alphabet. Unicode compliant programs can do all of this with ease, allowing you to do it character at a time, or use alternate keyboards so you can type just like a Hungarian or Slovak would when it pleases you.

                              Curt B.

                              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Elaine E." <rue.ee.4gel41n3@...> wrote:

                              > I have used Family Tree Maker since around 2001, and I have been able to put
                              > Hungarian diacritical marks in it, such as for entering names as they
                              > appeared in the 1869 Hungarian census. I have been able to enter French
                              > diacritical marks as well. Never tried Slovak marks, tho.
                              >
                              > One feature I like about Family Tree Maker is that I can have 2 family trees
                              > open at the same time. I like to keep an "everyone" family tree, plus an
                              > "only non-living" tree for uploading to the internet. (I guess I trust no
                              > one, and don't trust the options that claim to exclude living members). So
                              > as I enter data from old historical records, I like to enter it into both
                              > trees at one time. I tried using PAF recently, and some other software
                              > longer ago (unfortunately I don't remember which one), and if I tried to
                              > open a 2nd family tree, it would close the first one, so I could only work
                              > with one version of the tree at a time.
                              >
                              > One drawback with FTM is that to use the upload feature, well, I can only
                              > upload 2000 individuals, no more, in my 2005 FTM. (Does anyone know if this
                              > limit has been raised with later versions?) I wanted to upload more than
                              > that. So I'm now exporting a GEDCOM file and uploading it to Rootsweb's
                              > free WorldConnect, http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/ . The disadvantage with
                              > that is that I cannot upload pictures, as I can with FTM's upload.

                            • haluska
                              Message 14 of 16 , Dec 15, 2010
                                I have used Roots Magic for 5 years and never had any problems. It is fairly simple and and produces very nice charts.

                                I have turned off the updates, but once each year I get notified of the current upgrades via E-mail.

                                Trouble is with us Slovaks,everytime I enter a Mary,Helen,George etc. It tells me that I already have them but the dates do not match.

                                I laugh everytime!

                                Dennis

                                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Milan" <coolkeytool@...> wrote:

                                > I have alot of family history information and am thinking of putting it on a family tree to make it easier to see the relationships.
                                >
                                > In the past I have purchased programs that created more problems than they solved.
                                >
                                > So I thought I'd ask the experts or at least someone that has experience what programs do you recommend or don't recommend.
                                >
                                > Milan

                              • Milan Olle
                                Message 15 of 16 , Dec 18, 2010
                                  Thank you all for your input. I am still not sure which route to take but at least I now have direction!

                                  Milan

                                  I have used Roots Magic for 5 years and never had any problems. It is fairly simple and and produces very nice charts.

                                  I have turned off the updates, but once each year I get notified of the current upgrades via E-mail.

                                  Trouble is with us Slovaks,everytime I enter a Mary,Helen,George etc. It tells me that I already have them but the dates do not match.

                                  I laugh everytime!

                                  Dennis

                                  --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Milan" <coolkeytool@...> wrote:

                                  > I have alot of family history information and am thinking of putting it on a family tree to make it easier to see the relationships.
                                  >
                                  > In the past I have purchased programs that created more problems than they solved.
                                  >
                                  > So I thought I'd ask the experts or at least someone that has experience what programs do you recommend or don't recommend.
                                  >
                                  > Milan

                                • hyperlexiadaddy
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Dec 31, 2010
                                    I just loaded FTM 2011 and the diacriticals appear
                                    to be working.
                                    Using the alternate kezboard
                                    Dávid