Re: deciphering passenger manifest for Michael Lapka

  • CurtB
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 12, 2010
      Dawn,

      After a careful reading of the full page of the manifest you can see a good number of people listed as Ruthenian from the town of Sloboda Zlota. It is important to read an entire page or pages of these manifests to clarify the matters. You cannot just read one entry and then make wild speculations.

      It seems clear to me that this is the present day town of Kozova in the Western Ukraine. It was part of Austrian Galicia up until 1918 and its name was Sloboda Zlota in Rusyn, but also went by the name of Kosowa in German. So Kosowa and Sloboda Zlota are the same town and today it is Kozova, Ukraine. It is still a center of Greek Catholics.

      Note that a Wasil Kowalow from the same place is in the group.

      Do a little googling for Kozova
      See pictures at this website:

      http://www.personal.ceu.hu/students/97/Roman_Zakharii/kozova.htm

      Curt B.