Immigration records

  • bnktimm
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 8, 2010
      I'm not sure if anyone can help me or not. I have only recently started researching my grandfather's family history. So far I have had alot of luck using the church records. My great-grandfather's name was Holypit and they were from Bartfa. He arrived at Ellis Island in 1902. His wife Mary (Gursky) Holypit traveled with 4 small children in Nov. 1910 via Ellis Island. Here's my question. On the manifest it says that she was here either in 1902 or between 1902-1908, prior to arriving in 1910. I am trying to find any record of her arriving prior to 1910, but no luck. Once they were in the US the name spelling was changed to Holpit or Holepit. But I have searched and searched with no luck. I tried Stephen Morse search engine as well, by last name, maiden name, soundex, etc.
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 8, 2010
        You're off to a good start. Good work.

        She could have arrived in a different port.
        Sometimes the name is very badly mangled in the transcription and it may
        never be found with any search engine. I then back into answers by looking
        for someone who might have traveled with her. Specifically, do a search on
        your village name (all variations appropriate for that period of time) and
        neighboring villages.

        Look also at who she went to stay with in the US. Then look up his/her
        manifest, which will be earlier.

        Next, don't presume the dates 1902 and 1908 are correct. Look +- 2 years
        for starters.

        Next, search for others with this surname or maiden surname that may have
        immigrated durning this period. Important to see who they left behind and
        who they were destined to stay with.

        Finally, she could have immigrated into another port, such as Baltimore.

        Regards,

        Bill

        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 8, 2010
          I had always heard that my G-Grandmother came over,was married and went back after the death of three children.She married my G-grandfather in Cleveland,a man from the same village.

          I found her first arrival to be in Baltimore as a single young lady.
          True to family lore.

          She came back again through Ellis Island,with my Grand Mother only 5 years old.

          Steve'site is "only" for Ellis Island.

          The Search Engine works well.Use the spelling variations searching other ports of entry.(You will need a subsription to Ancestry or go to the Library for free)

          Good Luck,
          Dennis

          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "bnktimm" <jtimmerman@...> wrote:

          > I'm not sure if anyone can help me or not. I have only recently started researching my grandfather's family history. So far I have had alot of luck using the church records. My great-grandfather's name was Holypit and they were from Bartfa. He arrived at Ellis Island in 1902. His wife Mary (Gursky) Holypit traveled with 4 small children in Nov. 1910 via Ellis Island. Here's my question. On the manifest it says that she was here either in 1902 or between 1902-1908, prior to arriving in 1910. I am trying to find any record of her arriving prior to 1910, but no luck. Once they were in the US the name spelling was changed to Holpit or Holepit. But I have searched and searched with no luck. I tried Stephen Morse search engine as well, by last name, maiden name, soundex, etc.

        • vera holman
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 22 12:32 PM
            Hello, All,

            There seems to be alot of helping each other on this Slovakian site! Which
            is tremendous!! But, I haven't received much information of any of my
            George Sabos,( d 1935. at age 89) married Mary Kudra, her parents were
            John Kudra, Anna Hospodar. They lived in Michalovce. My grand father
            Janos Beley ,Belej, was born in DLHE KOlCOVE, Can't seemed to get much
            off the Church Records, as they are dated before the dates that I have
            for my Slovakian family. Most are not legible enough to gain any history
            info.. Would appreicate any hits or thoughts in getting some history, for
            historys' sake.
            Thank you for your kind assistance in this request! My ( AC)membership
            will be coming to an end soon!!

          • htcstech
            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 22 2:52 PM
              Hello Vera,

              From what you wrote, your ancestor George Sabos would have been born in
              1846. Unless you're extremely unlucky, there should be church records for
              his birth and possibly marriage in either Michalovce or Dlhe Koicove(?).
              I'm not familiar with either village/town.
              If you know the LDS links for these, then copy and paste them here in a
              reply.

              Peter M.

              On 23 March 2012 06:32, vera holman <veracious.h@...> wrote:

              > **
              >

              > Hello, All,
              >
              > There seems to be alot of helping each other on this Slovakian site! Which
              > is tremendous!! But, I haven't received much information of any of my
              > George Sabos,( d 1935. at age 89) married Mary Kudra, her parents were
              > John Kudra, Anna Hospodar. They lived in Michalovce. My grand father
              > Janos Beley ,Belej, was born in DLHE KOlCOVE, Can't seemed to get much
              > off the Church Records, as they are dated before the dates that I have
              > for my Slovakian family. Most are not legible enough to gain any history
              > info.. Would appreicate any hits or thoughts in getting some history, for
              > historys' sake.
              > Thank you for your kind assistance in this request! My ( AC)membership
              > will be coming to an end soon!!

            • vera holman
              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 22 4:38 PM
                Dear Pete,
                Glad to get your response to my e-mail. I had inquired about more up to
                date church records with the years I stated. One response was that more up
                to date information for Michalovce's church records are available in
                rolls at the LDS archives in Utah!!! They are between $5-$6 a roll to have
                the privilge to view them!!

                I thought since the many varied family name messages received on this
                web-site, by many knowledgeable members, that they might be someone who is
                familiar with may family names and locations. It seems that those that are
                using this great web-site are really related, as there is always an answer
                to a new question and then some!!!
                Thanks for reading my message.
                Blessings,
                Vera

                On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 2:52 PM, htcstech <htcstech@...> wrote:

                > Hello Vera,
                >
                > From what you wrote, your ancestor George Sabos would have been born in
                > 1846. Unless you're extremely unlucky, there should be church records for
                > his birth and possibly marriage in either Michalovce or Dlhe Koicove(?).
                > I'm not familiar with either village/town.
                > If you know the LDS links for these, then copy and paste them here in a
                > reply.
                >
                > Peter M.
                >
                > On 23 March 2012 06:32, vera holman <veracious.h@...> wrote:
                >
                > > **
                > >

                > > Hello, All,
                > >
                > > There seems to be alot of helping each other on this Slovakian site!
                > Which
                > > is tremendous!! But, I haven't received much information of any of my
                > > George Sabos,( d 1935. at age 89) married Mary Kudra, her parents were
                > > John Kudra, Anna Hospodar. They lived in Michalovce. My grand father
                > > Janos Beley ,Belej, was born in DLHE KOlCOVE, Can't seemed to get much
                > > off the Church Records, as they are dated before the dates that I have
                > > for my Slovakian family. Most are not legible enough to gain any history
                > > info.. Would appreicate any hits or thoughts in getting some history, for
                > > historys' sake.
                > > Thank you for your kind assistance in this request! My ( AC)membership
                > > will be coming to an end soon!!

              • Michael Mojher
                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 22 6:16 PM
                  Vera,

                  1468 Michalovce MI/KI zemplín./užhorod.
                  1773 Nagy-Mihály, Mihalowcze, 1786 Nagy-S[ent]-Mihály, Mihalowce,
                  Nagy-Mihály, 1808 Nagy-Mihály, Groß-Michl, Michalany, Michalowce, 1863–1913
                  Nagymihály, 1920 Michaľovce, 1927– Michalovce

                  http://www.michalovce.sk/en/ - link to the Michalovce website in English. It
                  has a History link on the left side.

                  382 Dlhé Klčovo VT/PV zemplín.
                  1773 Kolcs-Hoszu-Mező, Kolcsow[sz]ky Dluhy, 1786 Kolcsch-Hoszumeső, 1808
                  Kolcs-Hosszúmező, Kolčowo Dluhé, 1863–1902 Kolcshosszúmező, 1907–1913
                  Kolcsmező, 1920 Kolčowé Dlhé, 1927–1948 Kolčovské Dlhé, 1948– Dlhé Klčovo

                  http://www.dlheklcovo.sk/ - link to the Dlhe Klcovo website, it is only in
                  Slovak.

                  Michalovce and Dlhe Klcovo are 37 km / 22 miles apart.

                  Surname Sabos in 1995 Slovakia Census - Priezvisko SABOŠ sa na Slovensku v
                  roku 1995 nachádzalo 3×, celkový počet lokalít: 2, v lokalitách:
                  3 listings in 2 locations.

                  Surname Kundra in 1995 Slovakia Census - Priezvisko KUDRA sa na Slovensku v
                  roku 1995 nachádzalo 9×, celkový počet lokalít: 5, v lokalitách:
                  9 listings in 5 locations, four of the locations are in or near Michaelovce.

                  Surname Hospodar in 1995 Census - Priezvisko HOSPODÁR sa na Slovensku v roku
                  1995 nachádzalo 163×, celkový počet lokalít: 34, najčastejšie výskyty v
                  lokalitách: 163 listings in 34 locations. #1 locations is Michaelovce with
                  59 listings.

                  If George / Juraj Sabos was 89 when he died in 1935 that meant he was born
                  in 1846. And if he was born in Hungary in 1846 those records are more likely
                  online. Which makes your Sabos family line traceable.

                  You mentioned you wanted "to gain any history info..". There are plenty of
                  Slovak history books. Most deal with political history and would not be of
                  much good to understand the history of the two towns you are interested in.
                  What exactly of the history are you interested in learning about?

                  1846. Unless you're extremely unlucky, there should be church records for
                  his birth and possibly marriage in either Michalovce or Dlhe Koicove(?).
                  I'm not familiar with either village/town.
                  If you know the LDS links for these, then copy and paste them here in a
                  reply.

                  Peter M.

                  On 23 March 2012 06:32, vera holman <veracious.h@...> wrote:

                  > **
                  >

                  > Hello, All,
                  >
                  > There seems to be alot of helping each other on this Slovakian site! Which
                  > is tremendous!! But, I haven't received much information of any of my
                  > George Sabos,( d 1935. at age 89) married Mary Kudra, her parents were
                  > John Kudra, Anna Hospodar. They lived in Michalovce. My grand father
                  > Janos Beley ,Belej, was born in DLHE KOlCOVE, Can't seemed to get much
                  > off the Church Records, as they are dated before the dates that I have
                  > for my Slovakian family. Most are not legible enough to gain any history
                  > info.. Would appreicate any hits or thoughts in getting some history, for
                  > historys' sake.
                  > Thank you for your kind assistance in this request! My ( AC)membership
                  > will be coming to an end soon!!

                • htcstech
                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 22 6:33 PM
                    Vera,

                    The Michalovce records are online:
                    https://www.familysearch.org/search/image/index#uri=https%3A%2F%2Fapi.familysearch.org%2Frecords%2Fwaypoint%2F12757437
                    You don't need to order the microfilms.

                    Peter M

                    On 23 March 2012 12:16, Michael Mojher <mgmojher@...> wrote:

                    > **
                    >

                    > Vera,
                    >
                    > 1468 Michalovce MI/KI zempl�n./u�horod.
                    > 1773 Nagy-Mih�ly, Mihalowcze, 1786 Nagy-S[ent]-Mih�ly, Mihalowce,
                    > Nagy-Mih�ly, 1808 Nagy-Mih�ly, Gro�-Michl, Michalany, Michalowce,
                    > 1863-1913
                    > Nagymih�ly, 1920 Micha�ovce, 1927- Michalovce
                    >
                    > http://www.michalovce.sk/en/ - link to the Michalovce website in English.
                    > It
                    > has a History link on the left side.
                    >
                    > 382 Dlh� Kl�ovo VT/PV zempl�n.
                    > 1773 Kolcs-Hoszu-Mez�, Kolcsow[sz]ky Dluhy, 1786 Kolcsch-Hoszumes�, 1808
                    > Kolcs-Hossz�mez�, Kol�owo Dluh�, 1863-1902 Kolcshossz�mez�, 1907-1913
                    > Kolcsmez�, 1920 Kol�ow� Dlh�, 1927-1948 Kol�ovsk� Dlh�, 1948- Dlh� Kl�ovo
                    >
                    > http://www.dlheklcovo.sk/ - link to the Dlhe Klcovo website, it is only
                    > in
                    > Slovak.
                    >
                    > Michalovce and Dlhe Klcovo are 37 km / 22 miles apart.
                    >
                    > Surname Sabos in 1995 Slovakia Census - Priezvisko SABO� sa na Slovensku v
                    > roku 1995 nach�dzalo 3�, celkov� po�et lokal�t: 2, v lokalit�ch:
                    > 3 listings in 2 locations.
                    >
                    > Surname Kundra in 1995 Slovakia Census - Priezvisko KUDRA sa na Slovensku
                    > roku 1995 nach�dzalo 9�, celkov� po�et lokal�t: 5, v lokalit�ch:
                    > 9 listings in 5 locations, four of the locations are in or near
                    > Michaelovce.
                    >
                    > Surname Hospodar in 1995 Census - Priezvisko HOSPOD�R sa na Slovensku v
                    > roku
                    > 1995 nach�dzalo 163�, celkov� po�et lokal�t: 34, naj�astej�ie v�skyty v
                    > lokalit�ch: 163 listings in 34 locations. #1 locations is Michaelovce with
                    > 59 listings.
                    >
                    > If George / Juraj Sabos was 89 when he died in 1935 that meant he was born
                    > in 1846. And if he was born in Hungary in 1846 those records are more
                    > likely
                    > online. Which makes your Sabos family line traceable.
                    >
                    > You mentioned you wanted "to gain any history info..". There are plenty of
                    > Slovak history books. Most deal with political history and would not be of
                    > much good to understand the history of the two towns you are interested
                    > in.
                    > What exactly of the history are you interested in learning about?

                  • htcstech
                    Message 9 of 16 , Mar 22 7:09 PM
                      There's a KUDRA Maria (mother) and SUBAK Janos who had a child George on
                      Jan 8th 1849 in the RC records 2nd entry (faint) in 1849:
                      https://www.familysearch.org/search/image/index#uri=https%3A%2F%2Fapi.familysearch.org%2Frecords%2Fwaypoint%2F12757437

                      3rd Column shows the parent's names.

                      So the KUDRA family is certainly there.

                      Peter M

                    • CurtB
                      Message 10 of 16 , Mar 22 7:31 PM
                        The Roman Catholic records for Dlhe Klcovo are also online. They are included in the records of Nizny Hrusov.

                        Curt B.

> [...]
                        > >> 1995 nachádzalo 163×, celkový poèet lokalít: 34, najèastej¹ie výskyty v
                        > >> lokalitách: 163 listings in 34 locations. #1 locations is Michaelovce
                        > >> with
                        > >> 59 listings.
                        > >>
                        > >> If George / Juraj Sabos was 89 when he died in 1935 that meant he was
                        > >> born
                        > >> in 1846. And if he was born in Hungary in 1846 those records are more
                        > >> likely
                        > >> online. Which makes your Sabos family line traceable.
                        > >>
                        > >> You mentioned you wanted "to gain any history info..". There are plenty
                        > >> of
                        > >> Slovak history books. Most deal with political history and would not be
                        > >> of
                        > >> much good to understand the history of the two towns you are interested
                        > >> in.
                        > >> What exactly of the history are you interested in learning about?

                      • helene cincebeaux
                        Message 11 of 16 , Mar 22 7:37 PM
                          Can anyone identify this place in old Hungary

                          think it is near Bardejov

                          B.Ujfalu  as place of origin on a ship manifest from 1901 and ethnicity  Hungarian

                          thanks!

                          helene

                        • Michael Mojher
                          Message 12 of 16 , Mar 22 8:05 PM
                            Bardejovská Nová Ves: 1773 Bartpha-Ujfalu, Bardiovska Nowa Wes, 1786 Bartpha-Ujfalu, Bardiowská Nowa Wes, Neudorf, 1808 Bartfa-Újfalu, Neudorf, Nowá Wes, 1863–1913 Bártfaújfalu, 1920 Bardiovská Nová Ves, 1927–1971 Bardejovská Nová Ves

                            Can anyone identify this place in old Hungary

                            think it is near Bardejov

                            B.Ujfalu as place of origin on a ship manifest from 1901 and ethnicity Hungarian

                            thanks!

                            helene

                          • William C. Wormuth
                            Message 13 of 16 , Mar 22 9:44 PM
                              Ahoj Helene,
                              Michal is correct but for zour info:  Towns listed for Ujfalo,

                              From Vlastivedny Slovnik na Slovensku, Miestny Register:
                              Dulov, Vieska nad Blhom, Chminianska Nová Ves, Opatovská Nová Ves, Nová Straž all are listed as Ujfalo.
                              S Panem Bohem,
                              Vilo

                              Message 14 of 16 , Mar 23 5:07 AM
                                That's because Ujfalu just means 'new village'; there are at least nine of them in the fomer Hungarian kingdom.

                                Sue

                                Message 15 of 16 , Mar 23 3:56 PM
                                  Thanks Michael and Vilo - how wonderful to get such a quick answer!!!!
                                  My friend will be thrilled! Thanks a million!

                                  Message 16 of 16 , Mar 23 7:22 PM