December 6 = The Feast of Nicholas

  • Greg
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 6, 2010
      Today is the Feast of Nicholas.

      Did anyone do anything special today?

      Find anything in your shoe this morning?

      http://www.iarelative.com/xmas/okto.htm

      Greg
    • Lisa Marzonie
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 6, 2010
        Our children each used to put a shoe in the hallway outside their bedroom doors on the eve of the feast. I'd make sure there were some surprises in their shoes before morning. I sure miss those 5 little shoes lining our hallway. Four of our children have left home; the two remaining are ages 22 and 19. Sigh.

        "Every moment and every event of every man's life on earth plants something in his soul." ~Thomas Merton

        To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 7, 2010
          Dear Lisa,
          We did the same in our home as the children grew up. In order to keep the tradition alive, when they went off to college, I sent a small package that arrived on this feast day by surprise. I did the same this year to the youngest in college, and her older sister who is still single. Imagine my surprise and delight when I went to my mailbox and found a small package from this daughter, with the card signed "from St. Nicholas". This is a family tradition which I'm sure she will always hold dear. I hope that my older married children will continue the practice with their families.
          My husband and I were fortunate enough to be able to make the drive to the Slovak Embassy on Sunday for the Sv. Miklus festival. We really had a wonderful time, and it was great to see so many children, all dressed up, in attendance. Some sang a song for Sv.Miklus, and two little sisters played a short song on their very tiny violins. What a great way to continue exposing these youngsters to our heritage, don't you think?
          Thanks to all of the hard work that went into preparing for the event. It was wonderful!
          Barbara