Keeping church registers on-line

  • nilo3rak
    Message 1 of 20 , Dec 4, 2010
      I am slogging through the on-line church registers. It is absolutely wonderful that I don't have to order these films, saving much in money and time.

      On my Dad's side they were blacksmiths, traveling craftsman. They really traveled and it has been difficult to find them, but with these films I have had some rewarding eureka-moments.

      So, how do we keep these films on line? Every time I read that they will be replaced with the beta version, my heart drops.

      I must say "thanks" to Bill. Revisited your site - a wise move, that I recommend -and found the 1869 census holdings by Slovak name, as well as the Dvorszak Gazetteer. What a great time saver!

      Still searching and loving it more with all the on-line resources,
      Carolyn
    • Elaine
      Message 2 of 20 , Dec 4, 2010
        Carolyn, it is great to hear your update. What name is your dad's side, and where did they travel? My Slovak paternal line also traveled. My GGfather, a blacksmith who came to the US and continued that line of work, married in Kostolany nad Hornadom, near Kosice, but was born in Rozkovany (where he was 2 for the 1869 census). That census said his father, also a blacksmith, was born in Pol'anovce in 1830, and I have found that record. It doesn't give occupations, but chances are that he was a blacksmith also. It seems to me that the small towns that had a blacksmith would not be likely to support to many other blacksmiths, and if a father taught several sons the trade, they'd have to move away sooner or later.

        I've just gotten through the microfilms of the first half of the 1800s, so I hope to find more relatives from my GGGGfather's family--but I have a feeling there will be other towns to research.

        Elaine

        Sent from my iPhone

        On Dec 4, 2010, at 3:25 PM, "nilo3rak" <piekielnik@...> wrote:

        > I am slogging through the on-line church registers. It is absolutely wonderful that I don't have to order these films, saving much in money and time.
        >
        > On my Dad's side they were blacksmiths, traveling craftsman. They really traveled and it has been difficult to find them, but with these films I have had some rewarding eureka-moments.
        >
        > So, how do we keep these films on line? Every time I read that they will be replaced with the beta version, my heart drops.
        >
        > I must say "thanks" to Bill. Revisited your site - a wise move, that I recommend -and found the 1869 census holdings by Slovak name, as well as the Dvorszak Gazetteer. What a great time saver!
        >
        > Still searching and loving it more with all the on-line resources,
        > Carolyn

      • Julie Michutka
        Message 3 of 20 , Dec 4, 2010
          On Dec 4, 2010, at 4:25 PM, nilo3rak wrote:

          > So, how do we keep these films on line? Every time I read that they
          > will be replaced with the beta version, my heart drops.

          Am I missing something? I thought the beta version was for the
          software or format to access the digital records.

          Julie Michutka
          jmm@...
          Message 4 of 20 , Dec 5, 2010
            No content is going away. The means of presenting the images is the only
            thing that will change.

            "The Record Search pilot will soon be replaced by beta.familysearch.org.
            Visit beta.familysearch.org to access the complete records collection.

            In the computer business, "beta" means a trial version. The "pilot" was
            their first attempt at presenting records online. It was never meant to be
            the final version. It is every intent to move these to a mainstream,
            permanent collection. The only thing that's going away is the "pilot"
            version, to be replaced with a more permanent, comprehensive index of
            materials. This way, you don't have to bounce back and forth between
            online/digital images and hardcopy/microfilm indices on different web sites.
            At some point, I'm sure the word "beta" will disappear too. Think of them
            a different "windows" into the same house.

            Glad you all still find my web pages useful. I've been a bit preoccupied
            with other activities, and now that ski season is upon me, I'll be even more
            preoccupied. I'm very pleased to see all members helping each other. At
            first, I did a lot of the advising, glad to step back a bit and see others
            capably pick up the advising and collaboration. Nobody has a monopoly on
            good ideas; feel free to stick your neck out here and continue to offer your
            good ideas. Thank you all!

            Regards,

            Bill

            On Dec 4, 2010, at 4:25 PM, nilo3rak wrote:

            > So, how do we keep these films on line? Every time I read that they
            > will be replaced with the beta version, my heart drops.

            Am I missing something? I thought the beta version was for the
            software or format to access the digital records.

            Julie Michutka
            jmm@...

          • Deb
            Message 5 of 20 , Dec 8, 2010
              I completely agree! Having these records online has been AWESOME! I don't have to sit at the LDS library in those uncomfortable chairs for hours on end...I can sit in my home office (sometimes in my pjs) and search. I, too, have had some eureka moments from searching these records.

              I've not had great luck working with the Beta site and am hoping this wonderful tool stays online!

              Deb

              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "nilo3rak" <piekielnik@...> wrote:

              > I am slogging through the on-line church registers. It is absolutely wonderful that I don't have to order these films, saving much in money and time.
              >
              > On my Dad's side they were blacksmiths, traveling craftsman. They really traveled and it has been difficult to find them, but with these films I have had some rewarding eureka-moments.
              >
              > So, how do we keep these films on line? Every time I read that they will be replaced with the beta version, my heart drops.
              >
              > I must say "thanks" to Bill. Revisited your site - a wise move, that I recommend -and found the 1869 census holdings by Slovak name, as well as the Dvorszak Gazetteer. What a great time saver!
              >
              > Still searching and loving it more with all the on-line resources,
              > Carolyn

            • nilo3rak
              Message 6 of 20 , Dec 8, 2010
                Hi Bill,

                Thanks for clarifying that the actual photographs of the church records will be replaced by an index, that is, a list of names and inflo gleaned from the actual record. And, so back to the problem of transcription errors of interpreting what is actually written on these pages.

                Well, I need to see the original. This past week I found a plethora of Reviczky ancestors and kin that would never have been found by an indexed list. My great grandfather's marriage entry, 1863 in Szent Mihaly oh so faintly listed his origin (birthplace). It was a strain, it was a guess, but I thought it was "Berz......." Going to the Gazatteer I went to Berzenke in Siroka jaras, Saros county. Lots of looking, but no luck. So I went almost to the headwaters of the Tarcza River, to Berzevicze, Felso-Tarcza jaras. Bingo, there I found his birth record, my g-g grandparents, and more siblings. Interesting to note occupation was "faber" and "nobility". Down river and later entries list the occupation as "faber ferrarius", although my grandmother always hinted at a German princess in the past.

                Juditha Reviczky of Revisne(Baro) did marry a German prince. To date I have found no link to that family. A real legend or grandiose wishing?

                Carolyn

                Message 7 of 20 , Dec 8, 2010
                  Carolyn,

                  I never indicated that there will be a surname index.

                  When I speak of index, I mean all the catalog entries that the FHC has -
                  books, papers, microfilm and digital images.

                  --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Tarkulich" <bill.tarkulich@...>

                  Message 8 of 20 , Dec 8, 2010
                    Bill

                     Hope your well.

                     On the subject of the LDS films of church records....Do you know if there is a time frame for when they might be online for  western Slovakia?A better question; Is there a way for me to find out via their online site or would I be better off calling Salt Lake?I'm asking you because I know you know who to talk to in Salt Lake, and I could be on the phone for a long time finding the right person.

                    Thanks as always

                    Larry Kocik

                    wrote:

                    > No content is going away.  The means of presenting the images is the only
                    > thing that will change.
                    >
                    > "The Record Search pilot will soon be replaced by beta.familysearch.org.
                    > Visit beta.familysearch.org to access the complete records collection.
                    >
                    > In the computer business, "beta" means a trial version.  The "pilot" was
                    > their first attempt at presenting records online.  It was never meant to
                    be
                    > the final version.  It is every intent to move these to a mainstream,
                    > permanent collection.   The only thing that's going away is the "pilot"
                    > version, to be replaced with a more permanent, comprehensive index of
                    > materials.  This way, you don't have to bounce back and forth between
                    > online/digital images and hardcopy/microfilm indices on different web
                    sites.
                    > At some point, I'm sure the word "beta" will disappear too.   Think of
                    them
                    > a different "windows" into the same house.
                    >

                    > Glad you all still find my web pages useful.  I've been a bit preoccupied
                    > with other activities, and now that ski season is upon me, I'll be even
                    more
                    > preoccupied.  I'm very pleased to see all members helping each other.   At
                    > first, I did a lot of the advising, glad to step back a bit and see others
                    > capably pick up the advising and collaboration.  Nobody has a monopoly on
                    > good ideas; feel free to stick your neck out here and continue to offer
                    your
                    > good ideas.  Thank you all!
                    >

                    > Regards,
                    >
                    > Bill

                  • Julie Michutka
                    Message 9 of 20 , Dec 8, 2010
                      Sometime in the past several months Bill had posted the sequence of
                      areas of Slovakia (the records that is) going online; I can't lay mind
                      hands on it right now, and I don't remember if he posted it here or on
                      Slovak World (I suspect it was here, or both). But I *do* remember
                      that western Slovakia was at the bottom of the list; you and I both
                      have to wait :-( I don't recall if the timeframe was mentioned, or
                      just the sequence.

                      Julie Michutka
                      jmm@...

                      On Dec 8, 2010, at 2:49 PM, lkocik@... wrote:

                      > Bill
                      >
                      > Hope your well.
                      >
                      > On the subject of the LDS films of church records....Do you know if
                      > there is a time frame for when they might be online for western
                      > Slovakia?A better question; Is there a way for me to find out via
                      > their online site or would I be better off calling Salt Lake?I'm
                      > asking you because I know you know who to talk to in Salt Lake, and
                      > I could be on the phone for a long time finding the right person.
                      >
                      > Thanks as always
                      >
                      > Larry Kocik

                    • Sam Mag
                      Message 10 of 20 , Dec 8, 2010
                        I received this email from Shon Edwards from family search in response to a
                        Kosice question I had.

                        "Here’s a copy of our priorities:

                        Czech Republic:

                        1. Plzeň
                        2. Opava
                        3. Zámrsk
                        4. Třeboň
                        5. Brno
                        6. Litoměřice
                        7. Praha

                        Slovakia:

                        1. Prešov
                        2. Košice
                        3. Bratislava
                        4. Levoča
                        5. Nitra
                        6. Banská Bystrica
                        7. Bytča

                        Although we don’t always strictly follow these (e.g., Bratislava is currently
                        beng done for political-type reasons) priorities, they are usually followed. So
                        Košice is next on the list and that is good for you. Not sure how long it will
                        take them to get on the Internet, but the cataloging has already been done, so
                        the images can be taken from the microfilm fairly quickly and they can be put on
                        the Internet with relative ease. If our collection development area decides
                        this will indeed be the next area, we should be seeing images by sometime around
                        June next year perhaps or a little later. "

                        ________________________________
                        Sometime in the past several months Bill had posted the sequence of
                        areas of Slovakia (the records that is) going online; I can't lay mind
                        hands on it right now, and I don't remember if he posted it here or on
                        Slovak World (I suspect it was here, or both). But I *do* remember
                        that western Slovakia was at the bottom of the list; you and I both
                        have to wait :-( I don't recall if the timeframe was mentioned, or
                        just the sequence.

                        Julie Michutka
                        jmm@...

                        On Dec 8, 2010, at 2:49 PM, lkocik@... wrote:

                        > Bill
                        >
                        > Hope your well.
                        >
                        > On the subject of the LDS films of church records....Do you know if
                        > there is a time frame for when they might be online for western
                        > Slovakia?A better question; Is there a way for me to find out via
                        > their online site or would I be better off calling Salt Lake?I'm
                        > asking you because I know you know who to talk to in Salt Lake, and
                        > I could be on the phone for a long time finding the right person.
                        >
                        > Thanks as always
                        >
                        > Larry Kocik

                      • Vladimir Linder
                        Message 11 of 20 , Dec 8, 2010
                          I will reach a milestone tomorrow, as a 1000000 viewer will click to
                          view my videos at:

                          www.youtube.com/vladi49

                          Vladi
                        • gklodzen@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 20 , Dec 9, 2010
                            Is there any information available as to when LDS records from the Zemplen
                            and the old Ung county areas of eastern Slovakia will be available online?
                            My area of research is the villages Vinne, Micholovce and Lastzomir.

                            Many thanks,
                            Eugene K

                            Message 13 of 20 , Dec 9, 2010
                              Hi Eugene,

                              All my information and experience indicates that all of the Eastern
                              Slovakia church records are already digitized and available online up to
                              1895. What makes you think they are not? I'm not sure Kosice is
                              complete. They saved the large cities for last.

                              Bill

                              On Thu, December 9, 2010 7:53 am, gklodzen@... wrote:
                              > Is there any information available as to when LDS records from the
                              > Zemplen
                              > and the old Ung county areas of eastern Slovakia will be available
                              > online?
                              > My area of research is the villages Vinne, Micholovce and Lastzomir.
                              >
                              > Many thanks,
                              > Eugene K

                              Bill
                            • Paul M. Paulochik
                              Message 14 of 20 , Dec 9, 2010
                                Vinne is at (get ready for a long one):

                                https://beta.familysearch.org/s/image/show#uri=http%3A//pilot.familysearch.o
                                rg/records/waypoint/1020243&hash=Mrd8SMocDIIen2Q83tu%252B82PRagg%253D

                                Or you can just go to https://beta.familysearch.org/ and drill down to
                                Europe, then Slovakia, then either of the two entries (it says Hungarian or
                                Slovak place names, but they're identical), the Roman Catholic to pick your
                                town. Michalovce is there too, Lasztomir is under Greek Catholic

                                Message 15 of 20 , Dec 9, 2010
                                  I am confused, the preponderance of records available for browsing on the pilot site are Name Indices, not films. For example, the family names in Scotland, England, and Ireland are only indexed. I have to request copies or films to view the original information.

                                  Also, why is the Family History organization requesting indexers, if not to make more records available in this name index form?

                                  I know the catalog of all their resources will remain. My concern is what will be available on line versus what is available for actual viewing - books, maps, histories, micro fiche, and microfilm.

                                  Sitting at my own computer at any time night or day and viewing these original records - priceless.

                                  Carolyn

                                  > Carolyn,
                                  >
                                  > I never indicated that there will be a surname index.
                                  >
                                  > When I speak of index, I mean all the catalog entries that the FHC has -
                                  > books, papers, microfilm and digital images.
                                  >

                                  > Bill

                                • Julie Michutka
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Dec 10, 2010
                                    My understanding is that the overall goal is to get all the
                                    microfilmed info online as images (new stuff is not being microfilmed,
                                    but going straight to digital images). IN ADDITION, a second goal is
                                    to index the names in these records.

                                    In some cases, indexes have been put online before the images. You
                                    still have to order the films, in that case.

                                    More and more will become available online, not less. But it takes
                                    time. We are just so very fortunate that the Mormons charge
                                    absolutely ZIP for this (other than a small fee for renting
                                    microflims; but at Salt Lake City, you don't even pay that).

                                    I was at the National Genealogical Society conference in Salt Lake
                                    City this past April, and the LDS/FamilySearch folks had an impressive
                                    evening event in conjunction with the conference (historian David
                                    McCollough was the featured speaker). One of the several short films
                                    they showed was titled something like "A Peek inside the Granite
                                    Mountain." Part of this discussed and showed the microfilm-to-digital
                                    conversion (which is what enables it to be put online). You might be
                                    able to find this short film somewhere on the website, www.familysearch.org
                                    .

                                    While I too am eager for everything to be online, I am enormously
                                    grateful that the Mormons (LDS) have done the tremendous amount of
                                    work that they have and made it available free or near-free, without
                                    ever asking me to contribute/join/help out. Unbelievable! The
                                    repository (non-LDS) where I volunteer weekly isn't that polite--I
                                    still need a membership to access anything, and in spite of membership
                                    + volunteering, they continually send me requests to donate $ or to
                                    subscribe to a higher membership level.

                                    Julie Michutka
                                    jmm@...

                                    Message 17 of 20 , Dec 10, 2010
                                      Hi Carolyn,

                                      Sorry, I misunderstood your question. The surname indexing project and
                                      family tree projects are something they tried before and failed miserably
                                      at. People mis-read the names and sloppy research led to entirely useless
                                      database.

                                      This resurrected Surname Indexing effort is separate from the filming and
                                      digitizing. I read the new process a few months ago and it's quite
                                      rigorous. It involves at least two readers and a third person to be the
                                      arbiter. The method is to make sure the handwriting is transcribed
                                      properly. Apparently Ellis Island project used a similar methodology, but
                                      as you know, thousands of mistakes still lurk. I believe the readers will
                                      be volunteers, but the arbiter is an FHL employee.

                                      When prioritizing work, the FHL looks at demand. If you've got a lot of
                                      interest in and volunteers for Scotland, that will get done first. We
                                      started a grass-roots effort here about two years ago, a letter-writing
                                      campaign to get our region filmed (before the digital project). We had
                                      good results.

                                      I talked with my FHL contact this week and it appears that the data that
                                      has previously been communicated here about priorities is correct.
                                      However, the work has been de-prioritized, in favor of other countries
                                      (there are only so many FHL employees to go around.)

                                      We could do another grass roots campaign if we want (I would not want to
                                      lead it, I'd ask one of you with a vested interest in this region to step
                                      up) and see if we can get some actions. It only takes your time. You can
                                      do it all from the comfort of your computer table!

                                      I'll have a little more detail on the actual FHL work accomplishments next
                                      week.

                                      Regards,
                                      Bill

                                      Bill
                                    • Adrienne Sowards
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Dec 10, 2010
                                        You can sign up to transcribe some records here: https://indexing.beta.familysearch.org/

                                        It is very easy, and if you only have five minutes a week to transcribe, then you can just do five minutes!

                                        The records are broken down into beginning, intermediate, and advanced levels, so you don't have to work on anything that is overwhelming.

                                        You have to choose from a limited group of records that are in the process of being transcribed, so you may wind up working on a place that your family has never been, but I think of it as a way of paying back all those people who've helped me in the past. (I guess I could say "Paying it forward," but I'm tired of that phrase.)

                                        It is also nice to know that someone else is transcribing the same thing, and that a third party will look it over.

                                        And last - it's also a learning experience. When transcribing some United States records and I couldn't quite decipher the name of the city or county I'd turn to Google and wound up learning more about that state. (I'm kind of a geek who likes learning about this stuff.)

                                      • Elaine Powell
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Dec 10, 2010
                                          Thanks for this information about doing indexing, Adrienne, I
                                          appreciate getting insights from someone who has volunteered already.
                                          Do you know if there is a way to volunteer to do work on our Slovak
                                          records? After going through numerous rolls of microfilm, I feel I've
                                          gotten to know the people in my ancestral towns!

                                          Elaine

                                        • gklodzen@aol.com
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Dec 10, 2010
                                            Bill and Paul, thank you so very much. I had no idea that these records
                                            were now online, and WOW, what beautiful images they are. It is astonishing
                                            to note the clarity of the images, and the ability to scroll and enlarge
                                            each page is a real plus. Tell me the 1869 Census for this region is also
                                            online and I will one very happy researcher, as will many others.

                                            With thanks to you and all who had a hand in making these documents so
                                            readily available,

                                            Sincerely,
                                            Eugene Klodzen