Re: Calender Dates [S-R] Re: Map Book -ZOZULAK

  • Julie Michutka
    Message 1 of 32 , Dec 3, 2010
      On Dec 3, 2010, at 3:21 PM, pstagen wrote:

      > I must disagree with your premise. My wife's GF was born in Ruske.
      > Zemplen. His 1935 SS application showed his birth as Dec 15, 1889,
      > but his 1960's SSDI shows it as Dec 28, 1889. Subsequent to his
      > application, he had to produce a document from Europe to attest to
      > his age, per his wife. Not all parishes switched to the Gregorian
      > calendar. I suspect its a quirk within the province.
      >
      > What I find really troubling is the time order. How could the priest
      > marry him on May 24th and the groom sail on May 21st? I thought the
      > calendar switch was to advance the days, not reverse them. However,
      > it would take a reversal of calendars to make sense of the records.

      I'm coming late into this conversation, so I apologize if I repeat
      something that has already been suggested.

      The priest could have written the date wrong. It might have been
      written a few weeks after the fact, and he mis-remembered the date.
      He might have written several marriages & baptisms on another piece of
      paper and later copied those notes into the parish register, and his
      eye skipped a line. Is the handwriting on the page quite uniform,
      indicating that all the entries *might* have been written in one
      sitting, or does the handwriting vary a bit from entry to entry, as it
      would if they were entered each at the time of the event? For some
      parishes, a copy of the register was made and still exists, and any
      time a copy is made, the chance for errors increases; are you looking
      at the original, or a copy (druhopisy, I think it's called). I can't
      tell you the number of times I've encountered errors or conflicts of
      information in Slovak parish records!

      Are you absolutely sure you have the right passenger manifest?

      Could the 13 day difference in date be birth vs baptism (likely he had
      sent for a baptismal record), or saint's day (name day) vs birth/
      baptismal date? (My own grandfather used three different birthdates
      for official documents over the years; they were all in the same
      month, and clustered around his birthdate and saint's day.)

      Best of luck in figuring things out,

      Julie Michutka
      jmm@...
    • John
      Message 32 of 32 , Dec 4, 2010
        >>> According to the 1995 Census Data there was a Ladomirova in Saris and a Ladomirov in Zemplin. <<<

        Michael, given that our context is genealogy, would you likely pick Ladmirova at 12 km along a connecting road OR the one diagonally across the county -- and a world away on foot?

        Me too!